PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on Seattle’s decision to punt with under 3 minutes left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Normally I would say that punting is an understandable decision. But in Seattle’s case, it was a terrible one.

Seattle has a fatal flaw which is their secondary. GB had been toasting them all day. You KNEW Aaron would go after that on any 3rd down situation. Why rely on your weakest link at the most critical point of the game?

Getting 11 yards was not a very difficult task if you look at how Russell Wilson was wearing out the defense throughout the entire second half. He’s your best player. It’s your best shot to win the game. Put it in his hands. Let him get 11.

Plus, if you don’t get it, you still have a chance. GB getting a FG only makes it an 8 point game. Where the ball would’ve been, a Crosby FG would have been no guarantee either. Regardless, a couple first downs were going to end it.

I can’t wrap my head around what the upside was here. Pete relied on his weakest link. For that, he deserved to lose.

Didn’t like it. Field goal doesn’t burry you if you don’t get it and can get a stop.

I’d have gone for it because I thought Rodgers would get the first.

That decision ultimately did the Hawks in

Reminds me a bit (not overwhelmingly) of the infamous 4th and 2 decision in 2009. Had Belichick punted and Manning still marched right down the field to win, I wonder if people would have complained that he should have gone for it. Obviously 10 years makes a big difference in the context of NFL decision making.

Didn't like it one bit.

If Pom Pom had the 2013 D I can see punting.

I bet BOB would have punted as well.

Seattle is what Seattle is. Their fans are huge babies.

Terrible idea to punt, and the decision should have been easier for Carroll bc he has a QB who can very well run for it if a play breaks down

Different take : I liked it. On two occasions, GB made clutch 3rd & long-ish to seal the game. But SEA gave itself a shot and just couldn’t beat a QB who made great plays with the game on the line. Was the right call, IMO. Just didn’t work out.

They would have gotten the ball back with correct officiating.

I'm usually a proponent of "if you have the ball, you have a shot, so don't punt" but I actually understand it in this scenario..........

It felt like Green Bay was on their heels. I actually expected Green Bay to come out and do the ultra conservative thing of running the ball on all three plays then having to punt.

So in this case I don't blame the Seahawks for what they did, instead I give the Packers kudos for not playing scared and making the decision to end the game themselves on offense.

When we gonna start calling for coaching changes in Seattle?

Top 5-10 QB. OL been an issue. Questionable offensive strategy/philosophy. Defense.

Idk idk

Regardless of whether it was the right or wrong decision, I don't think there was a GOOD choice to be made there. You're either relying on an 11 yard, do or die conversion in your own territory, or you're hoping your defense can hold them to at most one first down. I have a hard time blaming a coach for either one in the moment.

In other words, I blame the coaching staff/players for letting themselves get to a point where that decision had to be made. Once you're there, it's like reverse Russian Roulette.

Along this slant, does Pete Carroll deserve to be considered a good HC? He's not a bad HC but he adds little. Wilson has carried this team this decade.

Along this slant, does Pete Carroll deserve to be considered a good HC? He's not a bad HC but he adds little. Wilson has carried this team this decade.
The most important thing any coach can do, per-wee to pros. Is make people believe in themselves, get the most out of them & put his guys in a position to succeed. He's done a lot of that but it's fair to wonder where his imprint is on this team.
Wilson is a great QB. Smart, dynamic & doesn't turn the ball. Probably the best deep ball passer in the game. He eats sacks but it's a conscious choice, no one is perfect.
Would love to see him get another title. Hard not to like & root for.

I didn’t hate it because it was 4th and 11. I hated that we didn’t go for it because it was 4th and 6. That’s quite a difference.

I was ok with it. They had the timeouts and their D was playing very well in the 2nd half. 4th and 11 isn’t a very high % conversion.

When compared to other HCs in the League, “yes” he is a good coach. Look at the other teams’ situations.... BOB ? Gase ? Gruden ? List goes on.

The Seahawks took a gamble in letting Richard Sherman go. That gamble has bitten them in the ass and has helped San Fran take over that division

The decision would have been perfect except Rodgers dropped a perfect pass on third down to seal their fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back