PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on QB prospect sitting out college bowl game?

It's an exhibition game. Only four teams play meaningful postseason games. It's much closer to the Hall of Fame Game than a playoff game. This is like complaining that Austin Carr didn't get to play with Tom Brady in the preseason and that hurt his career and therefore Brady is a prima donna.

You are literally substantially more angry about this than any player on the West Virginia Mountaineers. Another player is already sitting thw game out. And if you think NFL scouts make their evaluations based on bowl games against Syracuse, well.

The whole team should go the chicken **** route and not show up for the game.

Money first and whats in it for me is the problem. NFL scouts dont attend the Senior bowl which has less to offer than a bowl game? Good to know.

Because the game is meaningless to you doesn't mean it is to those involved. Show me links quoting West Virginia players saying this bowl game means nothing to them and I'll agree with you. This game itself won't be the end-all in how those players are evaluated but it's a showcase event nonetheless and part of the season's continuum. I'm not "angry" about the kid's decision, I just see it as antithetical to the sport and his role in it.
You're out to lunch on this one man. The college athletes know what a scam this thing is, no one better. They're the ones paying the price for it after all, in literal blood, sweat and tears. If a guy's lived the lie for 3 years, paid the price and is ready to cash in, nobody in pads is going to complain if he decides it's his time. Probably half of them wish their college career had gone that well and they were in position to do the same.

As a matter of character, I wouldn't draft a player who deserts his teammates and fans.
I wouldn’t say that and I don’t have a problem with it because it’s a pretty meaningless game, but I’d think a guy that’s a maniac competitor would play to be honest.

Bowl games mean something. Head Coaches are measure by bowl wins. Bowl games are not preseason. They are post season births decided on your regular season record

His head coach was fully supportive of his decision. Bowl games mean literally nothing. They're marketing opportunities for corporations and moneymakers for the schools. Half the teams in college football get a berth. I'm a BC fan and even forgot to watch the Meineke Mufflers presents the Huggie Diapers Bowl brought to you by Chase or whatever they played in last year.

You're out to lunch on this one man. The college athletes know what a scam this thing is, no one better. They're the ones paying the price for it after all, in literal blood, sweat and tears. If a guy's lived the lie for 3 years, paid the price and is ready to cash in, nobody in pads is going to complain if he decides it's his time. Probably half of them wish their college career had gone that well and they were in position to do the same.
You're saying the kids don't want to play this game (aside from one QB), don't care about it at all, etc. Please show confirmation of that beyond your opinion. Otherwise, YOU are "out to lunch."

His head coach was fully supportive of his decision. Bowl games mean literally nothing. They're marketing opportunities for corporations and moneymakers for the schools. Half the teams in college football get a berth. I'm a BC fan and even forgot to watch the Meineke Mufflers presents the Huggie Diapers Bowl brought to you by Chase or whatever they played in last year.

If sitting out is the way to go then Georgia and Alabama should sit out too.

What is the difference? The school gets the shiny trophy. All the player gets is a hat and shirt. Same principle as a guy could get hurt and lose money. Would not surprise me at all to see no bowl games someday as this country becomes more about me and my feelings.

If sitting out is the way to go then Georgia and Alabama should sit out too.

What is the difference? The school gets the shiny trophy. All the player gets is a hat and shirt. Same principle as a guy could get hurt and lose money. Would not surprise me at all to see no bowl games someday as this country becomes more about me and my feelings.

I agree with you. The players should go on strike to demand a cut of the payout!

You're saying the kids don't want to play this game (aside from one QB), don't care about it at all, etc. Please show confirmation of that beyond your opinion. Otherwise, YOU are "out to lunch."

I mean, the left tackle was already sitting out, the coach openly stated his support for Grier's decision and specifically said he was a great leader and teammate... I'm not sure we can prove the non-existence of grumbling about Grier...

Then the HC does not care if the team wins or not.

Only 4 bowls matter according to some, so if youre in the other 56 bowls sit out.

Then the HC does not care if the team wins or not.

Only 4 bowls matter according to some, so if youre in the other 56 bowls sit out.

I agree with this entire post!

I think it interesting that folks consider college players to be NFL players who should be considering their college games as a business. As I have said, perhaps players should stop playing with 2 or 3 game to go in the season if they believe that their business interests could be served.

It is up to NFL owners to decided whether such conduct is acceptable or even praiseworthy.
After all, the player is benefiting the NFL by not getting injured in those last 2-3 games. PERSONALLY, I think that such players will not play for the patriots.

The chess club, golf team, debate team.
no just the football team that supports all the other athletic clubs, except for some basketball teams that break even

Consider just how much money is made by ND, Ohio State or Alabama football teams (and probably the top 40 or so others.

I think it interesting that folks consider college players to be NFL players who should be considering their college games as a business. As I have said, perhaps players should stop playing with 2 or 3 game to go in the season if they believe that their business interests could be served.

It is up to NFL owners to decided whether such conduct is acceptable or even praiseworthy.
After all, the player is benefiting the NFL by not getting injured in those last 2-3 games. PERSONALLY, I think that such players will not play for the patriots.

You think the Patriots wouldn't have drafted Derwin James, Leonard Fournette, or Christian McCaffrey?

What you seem to be saying is that players owe nothing to their team or their fans.

Why not quit with 2 games left in the season if their rep has been established?
More college players should do exactly that. They shouldn't be risking tens of millions of dollars and a career to enrich their coach and their school.

I agree with you. The players should go on strike to demand a cut of the payout!

Title IX makes it pretty much impossible to pay the players. You would also need to equally pay the athletes from the sports that draw 30 fans a game/event. The blue blood colleges like Michigan, Texas, Alabama, USC, etc., could afford it. The vast majority would be forced to shut down athletics.

no just the football team that supports all the other athletic clubs, except for some basketball teams that break even

Consider just how much money is made by ND, Ohio State or Alabama football teams (and probably the top 40 or so others.
So what. The player gets nothing from that. Good players shouldn't risk their future career to enrich their coach and their school.

I suppose I could see how that's letting down your teammates. On the other hand it would be hard to care about winning for an institution that makes hundreds of millions off your unpaid labor.
Oh stop it. It is NOT "unpaid labor". Every year thousands of kids get to go to school for free. Scholarships are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. There may be a dozen kids who get the name recognition that would make them money at that level. Measure that against the thousands who get the opportunity for a free education that VASTLY improves their chances at a productive economic life.

And as for the 100 or so guys each year that go on to play professionally for a few years, THEY are given the time, coaching, and skill building to get to that next level. So stop with the crap that these "poor kids are being abused and taken advantage of". The system isn't perfect and the NCAA is an odious organization and rivals the NFL for its subjective rules enforcement. But that being said, getting a football scholarship is NOT playing for free.

The whole team should go the chicken **** route and not show up for the game.

Money first and whats in it for me is the problem. NFL scouts dont attend the Senior bowl which has less to offer than a bowl game? Good to know.
"Money first and what's in it for me" is exactly what should be going on. It's a violent sport that chews up and spits your body out. Any player at any position in both the pros and college is a total, incompetent idiot if he's not thinking "money first and what's in it for me".

You're right -- they damned well should.

(What I'd really love to see would be the players from from the teams in the college championship game tell the schools, the sponsors, and the NCAA six hours before the game "Pay us all $X each or we don't play tonight.")

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back