PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on QB prospect sitting out college bowl game?

Title IX makes it pretty much impossible to pay the players. You would also need to equally pay the athletes from the sports that draw 30 fans a game/event. The blue blood colleges like Michigan, Texas, Alabama, USC, etc., could afford it. The vast majority would be forced to shut down athletics.

I'm aware. I'm generally of the opinion that the academy and sports should be completely separated, as they are in Europe. This weird system of amateur collegiate athletics in the US is really predatory.

I think it interesting that folks consider college players to be NFL players who should be considering their college games as a business. As I have said, perhaps players should stop playing with 2 or 3 game to go in the season if they believe that their business interests could be served.

It is up to NFL owners to decided whether such conduct is acceptable or even praiseworthy.
After all, the player is benefiting the NFL by not getting injured in those last 2-3 games. PERSONALLY, I think that such players will not play for the patriots.
Some have basically stopped playing at the start of their senior season (see Clowney). Christian McCaffrey took a slew of grief for not playing the Bowl game - boy that really impacted his NFL career.

no just the football team that supports all the other athletic clubs, except for some basketball teams that break even

Consider just how much money is made by ND, Ohio State or Alabama football teams (and probably the top 40 or so others.

The NFL is no different.

Rookies sign a puny contract that is not even fully guaranteed. You could be injured at anytime and lose out on millions in the near future. All future NFL draft picks should form a union and refuse to enter the NFL unless they receive fully guaranteed contracts worth a lot more than the peanuts being doled out now. The NFL survives because of draft picks and would crumble without a talent pipeline. TV networks are not going to payout to see NFL players that are walk ons that were working at Home Depot a few years ago.

The NFL makes all money right? Like Bama, Georgia and ND. It should be about me first and then the team or trophy. The Pats would have no players since they seek those who love the game above all else.

In Levy Bells case I fully support him. He completed his rookie deal and played on the Franchise tag for a season. His obligation has been paid in full. If you dont want to pay the amount that Bell wants then trade him.

no just the football team that supports all the other athletic clubs, except for some basketball teams that break even

Consider just how much money is made by ND, Ohio State or Alabama football teams (and probably the top 40 or so others.

The best lawyers, doctors, engineers, architects, et al should be paid while in school.

They promote the school when they graduate and are hired due to having a degree from a school like MIT. Surely there are Law schools where a degree is shoe in for a prestigious job earning way more that other lawyers who graduated e;elsewhere. The schools benefit when students commit to spending money with them for their education.They want to be among the elite and be paid like one.

"Money first and what's in it for me" is exactly what should be going on. It's a violent sport that chews up and spits your body out. Any player at any position in both the pros and college is a total, incompetent idiot if he's not thinking "money first and what's in it for me".

Brady should have made all his money at Michigan and retired at 21.

Sign of the times.

Architects that I know hire recent graduates and first thing out of their mouths is what can you offer me. They want to go right to the top day 1. Im special.

You're saying the kids don't want to play this game (aside from one QB), don't care about it at all, etc. Please show confirmation of that beyond your opinion. Otherwise, YOU are "out to lunch."
All indications are that that is exactly what's going on. Every tweet and quote I've seen from team sources is supportive. Burden of proof is on you to show different.

All indications are that that is exactly what's going on. Every tweet and quote I've seen from team sources is supportive. Burden of proof is on you to show different.
OK, you've convinced me. All football players should avoid playing if there's a chance they might get injured and potentially miss out on $$$. As long as the coach approves and everyone else agrees a game is worthless, what's the use of blocking, tackling, running hard, risking a hangnail, etc.

Coaches do this all the time when they get a new job and leave their old team behind. If it’s ok for them, then why isn’t it ok for players?

I think college football is inherently exploitative and that any player who has real pro prospects is getting screwed over every time he takes the field, so I have no problem at all with this. You can either refuse to pay players or you can get angry when they place their own interests over the team's, but you can't reasonably do both.

It’s not possible that pay players so many sports would be removed from schools

If the players weren't expected to spend 40 plus hours per week in game preparation, travel, and actual game time, the scholarship part might make some sense. In reality, academics are treated as secondary to sport.
He didn’t say gift he said compensation.

Wouldn't it be funny if the QB changes his mind and decides to play in the bowl game but the starting OLine decides to skip the game?

I'm aware. I'm generally of the opinion that the academy and sports should be completely separated, as they are in Europe. This weird system of amateur collegiate athletics in the US is really predatory.
I've liked the proposal I've seen going around whereby you eliminate the bogus "student athletes" thing at the Div 1 (and maybe Div 2) levels and instead of have those colleges have paid teams of non-students, but the players earn scholarships they can use at the school anytime later in their lives (a GI Bill sort of thing).

So this does away with the sham of "student athletes", lets players get paid, but still gives players the ability to use sports as a way to go to college.

It’s not possible that pay players so many sports would be removed from schools

College football makes enough money that players could be paid, although it would certainly become less profitable. Which is true of every business ever: everything's more profitable if you don't have to actually pay the people generating your revenue. A lot of these guys are already paid, but it's just done under the table in unregulated ways. There's a lot of broken, foundering business models that would suddenly be profitable as hell if employees didn't get paid, but that doesn't mean employees should go unpaid to keep them afloat. Being forced to pay players would dramatically alter the economics of college football, but... so what?

That's big picture stuff, though. In the small picture of things, I just have a simple question: if you think that it's impossible to pay players, and it's fine for them to be risking their future earning potential to play college football in what's essentially an unpaid internship... do you also think it's unreasonable for those players to value their future career over said internship? Because I'd argue that they would have to be crazy not to. I think it's thoroughly irrational to expect anyone to jeopardize their future paid career for the sake of a program that has not and will never pay them a cent.

Last edited:
I've liked the proposal I've seen going around whereby you eliminate the bogus "student athletes" thing at the Div 1 (and maybe Div 2) levels and instead of have those colleges have paid teams of non-students, but the players earn scholarships they can use at the school anytime later in their lives (a GI Bill sort of thing).

So this does away with the sham of "student athletes", lets players get paid, but still gives players the ability to use sports as a way to go to college.

Yeah, I like that. I mean you would just have professional minor leagues that have like a school's brand slapped on them with the added caveat that part of the compensation package is a scholarship to be used either. Gets rid of the sham of the student-athlete (anyone who thinks football or basketball players at major schools get an education in any meaningful way didn't go to a school with high-end athletics programs). Obviously you could still have club amateur teams for plenty of sports. This is incidentally the way university athletics work in a lot of places. For example, University College Dublin has a professional soccer team but the players aren't (necessarily) UCD students. Of course, scholarships matter a lot less in Ireland because higher education is free.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back