PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, is it that much to ask that you actually keep to the topic of the thread, which has very little to do with Garoppolo and even less to do with Brady?

The point here is that if we do move Jimmy G, and something happens to Brady (which are assumptions asked of us by the OP and not topics for debate), Brissett is probably not ready for primary backup duties. He didn't look bad in his emergency cameo, but that's only because we hold emergency cameos to a very low standard. By the standard of a starting quarterback Brissett sucked the big one. So if we do deal Garoppolo, and I'm not making any value judgements in this thread about whether we should or should not do so, we should probably acquire a veteran backup of some sort.

You brought Garrapolo into it, not me.

Brady was called on to start an entire season in 2008 and and couldnt make it through the first quarter of the first game, how are they supposed to count on tom for any extended period of time when he went out not even an hour into the season?

Or, one random injury doesnt make you ras-i dowling? Hrmm

I guess playing 15 full seasons has shown his durability, Garrapolo couldn't make it two games.

Reading these posts, reasonable reflections all on how the Pats might handle a post-JG situation, convinces me more than ever that we have to keep him. That having Fitz (who seems like a good egg: no beef there) under center for the best team in the league would post-JG be something we could seriously consider makes the point with chilling clarity.

Can we trade the Browns a 2nd rounder in order to not sign Pickspatrick.

I think that last season was an aberration. 6 picks came in one game. When your team is constantly playing from behind you are forced to take more chances than you would if you were playing from ahead. Plus over the last 7 years Fitzpatrick was a starter, he's thrown more TD's than picks in 6 of them.

He might not be the ideal starter, but think about the teams he's played for over the years. in 2015 he had 3 legit receivers and a decent OL for the first time, and he threw for 30 TD's.

He's never going to get hired to run the show anymore, so why not take short money to see what it's like to expect to win every week and compete for a championship. Besides where else can you make a couple of million dollars for holding a clip board in a city that you are familiar with.

he averages 16 turnovers a season.

No
thank
you

Edit*

that doesnt include the fumbles he had while rushing with the ball..

Jimmy Garrapolo was called on to fill in for Brady for four games last season and couldn't make it through 6 quarters, how are they supposed to count on him for any extended period of time when he went out on his first big hit, and couldn't answer the bell when they expected him to against Buffalo?

All of your fantasies about Jimmy Garrapolo work just fine in your head but the reality of the situation is that he has not shown himself to be reliable to this point.

One injury, against a D that knocked at least seven QBs out of games, doesn't really prove or disprove anything.

Another possibility is to "shadow roster" him. Pay him minimum to come to camp and mini-camps, play him through the preseason and then cut him. If Brady goes down we resign him for $3-5M. That would also allow us to carry only two QBs but we risk losing him to another team with an injured QB.

ok, I like the thought process. I'm curious how much people think coaching is a factor.

For instance, do we think Josh and BB could salvage the season with guys like Fitz and Kaepernick, or are they just fool's gold based on short stints of success they've had at one point in the past?

Fitz possibly
Kaepernick, absolutely not assuming the word that he does not like to study film and learn offenses is true.

As the Garapolo story heats up as the League meetings are scheduled to start, I was musing about the MAIN reason why the Pats would want to keep him. Clearly the Pats are gearing up for a another very serious run at another championship. It's a run that would continue if anything happened to Brady IF we had JG still on the roster. We can all agree on that.

But what if we DO trade Jimmy for the boatload of picks they would need would need to make it happen. The deal that that I would consider enough would be for the #12 pick, the 52nd pick (Cleveland's 2nd pick in round 2) and #176 in the fifth) PLUS a conditional pick in 2018 that would range from Cleveland's 4th round pick guaranteed, to 1st rounder. (ie 3rd rounder if JG plays 75% of the snaps and signs a LT deal with the Browns. 2nd rounder if JG plays 75% of the snaps, signs LT, and the Browns win 4 games. 1st round if JG plays 75% of the snaps, signs LT and the Browns win 8 games.) That would still leave the Browns with at least one of their picks at the top of every round, with the most likely result in the 2nd rounder next year. It is literally 4 good picks for a player you hope never sees the field in 2017.

I'm one of those in the minority that don't think that BB will trade Garoppolo anytime soon, for exactly the reason you mention in the first paragraph: I think that BB has geared up for another championship run and we likely would lose that chance without Garoppolo if Brady is seriously injured (and despite his remarkable injury free history, he IS about to turn 40). With all of the other pieces in place this year, we would have lost a big opportunity, and that would be a shame IMHO. Thus, I expect the Pats will keep he-with-the-difficult-to-spell-name. ;)

However, it has never really occurred to me that Cleveland might offer the bounty of picks you described, #12, #52, #176, and a second rounder or so next year. I admit that would be a hard offer for BB to pass up, he would probably pull the trigger in that case. And, that might in fact be the right move.

OK well done, BB, but what do we do about our back up. It would seem to be a stretch to think Brissett in his 2nd year would be able to make a strong run, but I could be wrong. But just in case this would be the back up plan. (although a very contraversial one). I would bring in former Harvard grade, Ryan Fitzpatrick to compete with Brissett for the back up job.

But what are we looking for if Brady goes down for a few games. Someone who can go .500 in his absence. Fitzpatrick can do that, even at his inconsistent worst. But I'd say he could be better than that because of the offensive system he'd be coming to, the talent around him, and the quality defense.
;)

Brissett straight out of college last year was thrust into the starting QB role with zero experience, and probably didn't even know the playbook. He led the Patriots to a 27-0 victory over the Texans before being shut out by the Bills, the latter game involving a bad injury to his hand, and the only reason he played was because there were no other options (remember the speculation that Edelman might start at QB!)

I'm not saying that it would be wrong to bring in a veteran backup, should the Patriots trade Garoppollo, but (a) we might be underestimating a likely improved Brissett, and (b) I could never see Cutler or Fitzpatrick in a Patriots uniform. Dumb risk taking passes are woven into their DNA. Maybe there are some other veterans out there, but those two would be among the last ones I could see in NE.

I think that last season was an aberration. 6 picks came in one game. When your team is constantly playing from behind you are forced to take more chances than you would if you were playing from ahead. Plus over the last 7 years Fitzpatrick was a starter, he's thrown more TD's than picks in 6 of them.

He might not be the ideal starter, but think about the teams he's played for over the years. in 2015 he had 3 legit receivers and a decent OL for the first time, and he threw for 30 TD's.

He's never going to get hired to run the show anymore, so why not take short money to see what it's like to expect to win every week and compete for a championship. Besides where else can you make a couple of million dollars for holding a clip board in a city that you are familiar with.
Your proposal would certainly test the theory that you can't go wrong hiring a Harvard grad.

Fitz possibly
Kaepernick, absolutely not assuming the word that he does not like to study film and learn offenses is true.

I am very happy to assume the worst regarding Kaepernick.

You brought Garrapolo into it, not me.

Actually the OP brought Garoppolo into it, and then asked us to keep him out of it. You can't even discuss the actual topic without assuming that both Brady and Garoppolo are out of the picture so please catch up with the rest of the class.
Brissett straight out of college last year was thrust into the starting QB role with zero experience, and probably didn't even know the playbook. He led the Patriots to a 27-0 victory over the Texans before being shut out by the Bills, the latter game involving a bad injury to his hand, and the only reason he played was because there were no other options (remember the speculation that Edelman might start at QB!)

I'm not saying that it would be wrong to bring in a veteran backup, should the Patriots trade Garoppollo, but (a) we might be underestimating a likely improved Brissett, and (b) I could never see Cutler or Fitzpatrick in a Patriots uniform. Dumb risk taking passes are woven into their DNA. Maybe there are some other veterans out there, but those two would be among the last ones I could see in NE.

It's the age old catch 22 of prospects, how much do you trust them before they've proven they can be trusted?

I'm not gonna hold the Buffalo game against Brissett because he was hurt, but it's pretty obvious even to a numbskull like me that it was the defense and Blount that carried that win against the Texans. Brissett had one job, don't turn the ball over -- and to be fair to him, he actually did an admirable job. But it's not like it was his job to win the game or anything.

I just think that as long as you're hedging your bets, not betting the farm on Brissett as the primary backup is the way to go -- and I say that as a guy who loves to see the scrappy overlooked kid get a chance to play and thrive.

Actually the OP brought Garoppolo into it, and then asked us to keep him out of it. You can't even discuss the actual topic without assuming that both Brady and Garoppolo are out of the picture so please catch up with the rest of the class.

It's the age old catch 22 of prospects, how much do you trust them before they've proven they can be trusted?

I'm not gonna hold the Buffalo game against Brissett because he was hurt, but it's pretty obvious even to a numbskull like me that it was the defense and Blount that carried that win against the Texans. Brissett had one job, don't turn the ball over -- and to be fair to him, he actually did an admirable job. But it's not like it was his job to win the game or anything.

I just think that as long as you're hedging your bets, not betting the farm on Brissett as the primary backup is the way to go -- and I say that as a guy who loves to see the scrappy overlooked kid get a chance to play and thrive.

And you brought him back into it , so I addressed it. Try to keep up.

Ken, I love your posts and respect your opinion, but it's time to stop drinking green beer and sober up man.

A veteran might make sense, but BB values ball security, and Fitzpatrick has never shown any sense of that, even during the best of times with Buffalo and Houston.

Throwing jump balls to Brandon Marshall might work out, but not so much to some of our smaller WRs. And just because he went to Harvard doesn't make him smart with the ball.

He just doesn't seem like a good fit for our system.

I'm one of those in the minority that don't think that BB will trade Garoppolo anytime soon, for exactly the reason you mention in the first paragraph: I think that BB has geared up for another championship run and we likely would lose that chance without Garoppolo if Brady is seriously injured (and despite his remarkable injury free history, he IS about to turn 40). With all of the other pieces in place this year, we would have lost a big opportunity, and that would be a shame IMHO. Thus, I expect the Pats will keep he-with-the-difficult-to-spell-name. ;)

However, it has never really occurred to me that Cleveland might offer the bounty of picks you described, #12, #52, #176, and a second rounder or so next year. I admit that would be a hard offer for BB to pass up, he would probably pull the trigger in that case. And, that might in fact be the right move.
Honest question about the first paragraph in the OP and above. Do people think that the Pats can win a championship without Brady in 2017? I am highly dubious on that notion.
I mean Jimmy G looked really good in limited action, but making the leap to him being interchangeable with Brady for 2017 seems a bit much.
I am sure BB has a much better handle on the situation than myself or any other fan could.
The reason I am okay with trading Jimmy for the haul you described is precisely because I don't think he is winning a SB for the Pats next year as a starter.
I hope I am wrong and the Pats win the SB the year after Brady retires with Jimmy leading the way; I just don't know if that is going to happen.

Last edited:
GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
14 228 403 56.6 2,710 6.73 12 57 17 6 44.0 69.6
12 196 331 59.2 2,241 6.77 16 65 4 7 55.5 90.7

Test, one of the QB's is Fitzy. Who is the other?

As the Garapolo story heats up as the League meetings are scheduled to start, I was musing about the MAIN reason why the Pats would want to keep him. Clearly the Pats are gearing up for a another very serious run at another championship. It's a run that would continue if anything happened to Brady IF we had JG still on the roster. We can all agree on that.

But what if we DO trade Jimmy for the boatload of picks they would need would need to make it happen. The deal that that I would consider enough would be for the #12 pick, the 52nd pick (Cleveland's 2nd pick in round 2) and #176 in the fifth) PLUS a conditional pick in 2018 that would range from Cleveland's 4th round pick guaranteed, to 1st rounder. (ie 3rd rounder if JG plays 75% of the snaps and signs a LT deal with the Browns. 2nd rounder if JG plays 75% of the snaps, signs LT, and the Browns win 4 games. 1st round if JG plays 75% of the snaps, signs LT and the Browns win 8 games.) That would still leave the Browns with at least one of their picks at the top of every round, with the most likely result in the 2nd rounder next year. It is literally 4 good picks for a player you hope never sees the field in 2017.

OK well done, BB, but what do we do about our back up. It would seem to be a stretch to think Brissett in his 2nd year would be able to make a strong run, but I could be wrong. But just in case this would be the back up plan. (although a very contraversial one). I would bring in former Harvard grade, Ryan Fitzpatrick to compete with Brissett for the back up job.

Now before you go nuts, let me state my case. Fitzpatrick is a perfect back up. If we were honest, we have seen enough of him to know he's a competent if inconsistent starter in the league. But what are we looking for if Brady goes down for a few games. Someone who can go .500 in his absence. Fitzpatrick can do that, even at his inconsistent worst. But I'd say he could be better than that because of the offensive system he'd be coming to, the talent around him, and the quality defense.

We could easily afford t0 guarantee him $1MM on a 3-4MM contract, and that should get him in to compete to make the team. We've all seen him make a lot of great throws against us over the years with some pretty bad teams. Of the veterans still out there only Cutler comes close to his talent level and I think Fitzpatrick would be the better fit in the locker room and would be cheaper.

OK - you might not like the idea, but at least its something to talk about that doesn't involve Malcolm Butler or RFA rules,. ;)
Usually I defer to your football knowledge but three or $4 million for fitzpick six? No thank you.

I love the idea of trading Garoppolo and I would do it for a minimum of #12, #52, and a late round pick this year or next year (hoping for more of course). Not sure I am on board with Fitzpatrick as the backup though.

IF we trade Garoppolo I would bring in a vet for 1 year. Not sure who but the best vet fit that Bill can find. And I would also draft a QB in rounds 2-7. Carry 4 QBs on the roster. Brady, Brissett, Vet, Rookie. The Vet would compete with Brissett for the short-term backup job and the Rookie would compete with Brissett for the long-term starting job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down