PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There'd be no scandals if others knew the rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he didn't understand the memo all he had to do was call the League office and get a clarification.
The POS misinterpreted the rule not BB. What are you going to do then when dealing with a corrupt and biased egotistical POS that your boss supported instead of you.

Last edited:
The POS misinterpreted the rule not BB. What are you going to do then when dealing with a corrupt and biased egotistical POS that your boss supported instead of you.

Thing is they both misinterpreted the rule. If he would have called he could have told them about the language in the actual rule and how it differs from the memo and bring up his question about filming for use in the game being played. The League would have said, no filming from the sideline, period. It still would have been a misinterpretation but at least he would know what to do to stay out of trouble.

Thing is they both misinterpreted the rule. If he would have called he could have told them about the language in the actual rule and how it differs from the memo and bring up his question about filming for use in the game being played. The League would have said, no filming from the sideline, period. It still would have been a misinterpretation but at least he would know what to do to stay out of trouble.
You are supposing that Goodell did not already have an agenda against the Pats. It's obvious that has been proven wrong.

You are supposing that Goodell did not already have an agenda against the Pats. It's obvious that has been proven wrong.

I'm not a fan of Goodell by any stretch of the imagination but you expect me to believe that he would lie about his interpretation to BB just to set him up to get caught filming signals on the sideline? That seems a bit much. Bear in mind, the BB and the Pats weren't considered to be "repeat offenders" at the time.

If he didn't understand the memo all he had to do was call the League office and get a clarification.

BB understood the rule and the memo. Fraudger Goodell did not.

Fraudger should just get in line with all of the others in the NFL who are one step behind BB.

I'm not a fan of Goodell by any stretch of the imagination but you expect me to believe that he would lie about his interpretation to BB just to set him up to get caught filming signals on the sideline? That seems a bit much. Bear in mind, the BB and the Pats weren't considered to be "repeat offenders" at the time.
Believe what you want. It was a sting operation between Ratgini and the Jets and the former Jets, Goodell and Kensil in the league office.

Neither side misinterpreted anything. There was a difference of opinion as to the meaning of something ambiguous. That's something that happens all the time. In this case, Goodell not only had a different interpretation, he had final say. Instead of calling BB to New York and reading him the riot act, or explaining what was meant, said power decided to hand out punishment.

Yes, BB could have avoided the problem with a phone call for clarification. Goodell, too, could have avoided the problem with a phone call for clarification. It's funny how this stuff works.

BB understood the rule and the memo. Fraudger Goodell did not.

But he didn't. He said he noticed discrepancies between the rule and memo. That should have prompted a call to the League office because if it doesn't, you're just assuming you know what they meant.

Yes, BB could have avoided the problem with a phone call for clarification. Goodell, too, could have avoided the problem with a phone call for clarification. It's funny how this stuff works.

How so? Goodell thought he was clear enough when really he wasn't. How is that going to prompt a phone call to all 32 coaches?

I remember listening to an interview with Fraudger Goodell on radio the morning of the 2007 SB. His words then were that everyone knows that teams try to steal signals and that it's a part of the game. He even used baseball as a reference. I recently tried to find that interview and I haven't had any luck.

Another interview that morning was with Archie Manning, who was whining about the fact that he wasn't in the HOF and Fran Tarkenton was. He actually tried to use stats to make his case against Tarkenton. I can't recall ever hearing any NFL player take such a blatant shot at another HOF player. That pretty much confirmed that Archie was as big of a dipstick as Peyton.

But he didn't. He said he noticed discrepancies between the rule and memo. That should have prompted a call to the League office because if it doesn't, you're just assuming you know what they meant.

So I guess you agree with Kraft who called Belichick a schmuck. I'll stick with my man Bill when it comes to understanding the rules of the NFL

How so? Goodell thought he was clear enough when really he wasn't. How is that going to prompt a phone call to all 32 coaches?

The phone call only had to be made to one coach, and I'm pretty sure you can figure out that it could have been made in lieu of doling out a ham fisted punishment.

BTW, from the beginning, I've maintained that BB should have made the phone call. However, you're using one man's stupidity to excuse the other regarding this, and you're doing it on multiple threads. Are you feeling a bit 'agendaish' today?.

This latest one would have happened no matter what. It seems the Jets came to Foxboro looking for a scandal. I wouldn't be shocked if the head of their security knew the rules and still made a fuss hoping that since the media and fans don't that he would manufacture a scandal.

So I guess you agree with Kraft who called Belichick a schmuck. I'll stick with my man Bill when it comes to understanding the rules of the NFL

Yes, in this particular case. The lesson here is don't assume when there's a discrepancy between the rules and a league memo.

Yes, in this particular case. The lesson here is don't assume when there's a discrepancy between the rules and a league memo.
I guess if the league says that the Ideal Gas Law doesn't exist, you have go along with that too.

I guess if the league says that the Ideal Gas Law doesn't exist, you have go along with that too.

That's quite a leap of logic. In fact, I don't see how you can draw a line between the League putting out a poorly written and in some ways contradictory to the rules memo and your accusation that I would believe the League if they said the IGL doesn't exist.

That's quite a leap of logic. In fact, I don't see how you can draw a line between the League putting out a poorly written and in some ways contradictory to the rules memo and your accusation that I would believe the League if they said the IGL doesn't exist.
The reference is that you said you have to believe what the League says regardless if it has any merit. My statement was that the logical conclusion was that the league could and has said that the IGL doesn't account for the reduction in pressure and has in fact penalized the Pats based on that conclusion.

The reference is that you said you have to believe what the League says regardless if it has any merit. My statement was that the logical conclusion was that the league could and has said that the IGL doesn't account for the reduction in pressure and has in fact penalized the Pats based on that conclusion.

I never said that. The League creates and defines the rules. Basically, they are what they say they are. The poorly-written memo that was supposed to clarify the rule didn't accomplish that goal. If you have a question about what exactly you're supposed to do, you call the League and ask.

The IGL is not created or defined by the League. It's a scientific law backed up by over 100 years of proof. They can say the IGL doesn't exist all they want but if you believe them you're not very bright or willfully ignorant.

I never said that. The League creates and defines the rules. Basically, they are what they say they are. The poorly-written memo that was supposed to clarify the rule didn't accomplish that goal. If you have a question about what exactly you're supposed to do, you call the League and ask.

The IGL is not created or defined by the League. It's a scientific law backed up by over 100 years of proof. They can say the IGL doesn't exist all they want but if you believe them you're not very bright or willfully ignorant.
I am not the one saying the rules are what the league says they are, you are. Obviously you failed to grasp the meaning of my response which is called a reduction to absurdity and is apparently beyond your comprehension. Next time you feel compelled to challenge some one's intelligence, try to understand what they are saying first.

He was new and trying to establish his "new sheriff in town" gimmick, by going hard on the Patriots over something so petty. The owners had to have loved him for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes