PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There have been only 2 SB Champs that beat ONLY elite competition in the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny when you think a 12-4 team is elite but for the Patriots that's just an average year.

Man.

The symmetries in this dynasty never cease to amaze me.

Giants did something similar in both recent SB.

Yeah I mentioned that in my second post. They both beat a non-elite team in the WC round and beat elite teams for the rest of the playoffs. The 05 Steelers did the same.

And yes all of that does in fact sicken me

I didn't recall that the 2016 Pats were 14-2. Wow... that team somehow flies under the radar as all-time greats.

Even more impressive when you consider that they won most games quite comfortably. Only the super bowl and a game at New York stick out as coming down to the final few plays.

Giants did something similar in both recent SB.

2007 Giants (10-6) beat:

9-7 Bucs
13-3 Boys
13-3 Packers

All on the road before beating some 16-0 team that I can't recall,

2001 Giants (9-7) beat:
10-6 Falcons at home
15-1 Packers at Lambeau
13-3 49ers at Candlestick (thanks a lot, Kyle Williams...:mad:)
and 13-3 Pats in SB

Records / schmecords

Elite is in the eye of the beholder (The "elite" Buffalo Bills of the 90's with their 13 win seasons?)

1986-1995...10 years .....10...SB champs won by 4 NFC teams
Giants (2)
Redskins (2)
SF (3)
Dallas (3)

These were elite teams tasked with surviving the NFC playoff gauntlet before crushing their feeble AFC SB opponents.....usually Denver or Buffalo who had "elite" records but were several notches below NFC teams during this era.
These were all-time great teams stacked with the sports best talent who had to face each other yearly in the NFLs greatest era IMHO.
This multi winner era excludes Da Bears who won only 1 SB with perhaps the NFL's all time best team. It excludes the John Riggin's Redskins who were awesome as well.

Records / schmecords

Elite is in the eye of the beholder (The "elite" Buffalo Bills of the 90's with their 13 win seasons?)

1986-1995...10 years .....10...SB champs won by 4 NFC teams
Giants (2)
Redskins (2)
SF (3)
Dallas (3)

These were elite teams tasked with surviving the NFC playoff gauntlet before crushing their feeble AFC SB opponents.....usually Denver or Buffalo who had "elite" records but were several notches below NFC teams during this era.
These were all-time great teams stacked with the sports best talent who had to face each other yearly in the NFLs greatest era IMHO.
This multi winner era excludes Da Bears who won only 1 SB with perhaps the NFL's all time best team. It excludes the John Riggin's Redskins who were awesome as well.

The 90-93 Bills went 14-2 which is an 87.5% against NFC teams during the regular season and 14-6 when you throw in their SB losses for a 70% win percentage.

Often times they actually did beat the NFC teams you mentioned.

They also went to 4 straight SBs.

They also had multiple Hall of Famer on their team.

I'm not really seeing any sort of logic that points to them not being elite.

And yes the NFC was extremely dominant in that time frame and had some all time great teams. That doesn't mean the AFC didn't have any elite teams either.

Also idk why you tried to throw the 80s Broncos in their when they didn't have any elite records during the years they went to the SB.

There was a noticable difference between your average Tom Brady led Patriots team and the 2018 Pats during the regular season.

The playoffs however is a much different story.

Besides, you gotta draw the line somewhere. A 12-4 record seems like the most reasonable cut off.
Way to come up with a stipulation that keeps those Giants teams off of the list.

I like the way you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday