PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The WR position for the first 4 games now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Dorsett
Hogan
Patterson
...maybe Britt...
...the severed leg of Malcolm Mitchell...
Am I missing someone... I hope so...

...otherwise, if my face was my avatar, it would be...

caldwell.jpg

Hollister will be a de facto WR and we'll run a lot more plays with a 12 or 22 package.

I think we can get by but we'll all be breathing a sigh of relief once Edelman gets back.

I expect them to make a move from here. Decker or someone else. But it needs to be done or else there's going to be some rough sledding in the first 4 weeks of the season for the passing game.

I believe we will be OK with rolling out:

WR1: Hogan
WR2: Dorsett
WR3: Britt
WR4: Patterson (KOR)
WR5: Berrios (PR)/Mitchell
WR6: Slater

Coupled with these other receiving threats:

TE1: Gronkowski
TE2: Hollister

RB1: Michel
RB2: White
RB3: Burkhead

That is still a lot of pass catchers. I am thinking a lot of 2TE or pony groupings for the first 4 weeks. I like it because it allows Brady to get rid of the ball faster while our OL gels the first 4 weeks against ferocious pass rushes (HOU, @JAX, @DET, and MIA).

I expect them to make a move from here. Decker or someone else. But it needs to be done or else there's going to be some rough sledding in the first 4 weeks of the season for the passing game.

Yep the Defense gets payed to play too...who's our Cooks from last year who takes a CB and a Safety?? We know what Chris Hogan can do but who's the other WR who's going to draw coverage away from Gronk underneath?? We know who is Brady's First Read on Offense minus Edelman. We don't want the Gronk to get punished too much early on.

What’s the word (besides injured) on Jeremy Maclin?

We’ll find a way. White and burkhead are good recieving options. Need a little more from the run game too. Just like the first 4 games in 2016 without brady/ gronk, everyone will need to step up a little more.

People trying to compare this to 2013 are forgetting that in 2013 the TE/RB positions looked like this in the first four weeks:

RB: Vereen injured, leaving Blount, Ridley, and Bolden
TE: GRONK on PUP, leaving Hoomanawanui and Sudfeld

I don't get the angst over WR's.

Putting 2 (hell, even 3) pass catching RB's on the field at any time will be an advantage. Then you've potentially got a 2nd TE in Hollister. They'll have 2 WR at most on the field for a healthy percentage of plays.

Hogan, Dorsett, and Britt/Mitchell/Decker/whoever should be just fine for 4 games. Throw in 5-10 plays designed around Patterson.

If Gronk and half the RB's go down before the season, then we can worry

Last edited:
I expect James white, Sony Michel and Rex to feature a stupid amount in the first four games. We could even see - Michel and White in the backfield with Rex in the slot In the same play.

If we lose Hogan now I’d be more concerned but for now I’m okay! Just trying to think of FA or possible trades

Dorsett
Hogan
Patterson
...maybe Britt...
...the severed leg of Malcolm Mitchell...
Am I missing someone... I hope so...

...otherwise, if my face was my avatar, it would be...

caldwell.jpg
Squirrelless
upload_2018-8-1_19-3-27.jpeg

People trying to compare this to 2013 are forgetting that in 2013 the TE/RB positions looked like this in the first four weeks:

RB: Vereen injured, leaving Blount, Ridley, and Bolden
TE: GRONK on PUP, leaving Hoomanawanui and Sudfeld

So... like I said, not 2013 bad? Or am I missing something? Sudfeld ended up sucking. Hooman was, well, Hooman. No Gronk left a hole in my heart. Ridley caught some passes but wasn't really a receiving RB. That offense (in terms of weapons for Brady) definitely looks worse than what we have now.

Edit: Wait, was that post for people who think this offense is worse than 2013's? I haven't seen anyone saying that.

Last edited:

Putting 2 (hell, even 3) pass catching RB's on the field at any time will be an advantage. Then you've potentially got a 2nd TE in Hollister. They'll have 2 WR at most on the field for a healthy percentage of plays.

Hogan, Dorsett, and Britt/Mitchell/Decker/whoever should be just fine for 4 games. Throw in 5-10 plays designed around Patterson.

For me it's the opposite. Reading this thread I can't believe people aren't more concerned. I see Brady holding on to the ball longer than usual because his throwing windows will be very small. A receiver has to take the top off the coverage and be a threat. Hoping someone could have taken over for Cooks last year. I don't want to see those Baltimore Ravens type defenses with everyone flooding the first 20 yards of the field.

You don't get the concern about WRs because other positions?

Nice trolling angle!

You don't get the concern about WRs because other positions?

Nice trolling angle!

Trolling? Ok, if you say so.

My opinion (you've heard of the word, I hope) is that the Patriots are pretty strong at two of the three pass catching positions (TE and RB). Thus, I don't believe the current WR crop is much of an issue for 4 games. Yes, "other positions" can compensate for a lesser position in football.

You disagree, apparently. I'll get over it. But trolling? C'mon! Get that sh!t outta here. When I troll, you'll know it. I'm not very subtle.

Trolling? Ok, if you say so.

My opinion (you've heard of the word, I hope) is that the Patriots are pretty strong at two of the three pass catching positions (TE and RB). Thus, I don't believe the current WR crop is much of an issue for 4 games. Yes, "other positions" can compensate for a lesser position in football.

You disagree, apparently. I'll get over it. But trolling? C'mon! Get that sh!t outta here. When I troll, you'll know it. I'm not very subtle.

"We've got injury prone talent at other positions, so don't worry about the thin and injury prone WR position" wasn't a subtle troll. It was a lousy one, but not a subtle one. And being strong at one position doesn't magically mean people shouldn't be concerned about another position, so get out of here with that "When I troll, you'll know it" crap. If you weren't trolling, you were being ridiculous.

Take the "I was trolling" path. It's less embarrassing for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey