PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The worst losses in our history...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the 76 Raiders game was the worst.

IMO the Pats were the best team in the NFL, a win there would have changed the franchise.

Next was the loss to GB in the SB, Parcells tanked, just a wasted opportunity, and I had food poisioning that day.

The loss to Houston in the playoffs where we blew the big lead. the team of the 70's hurt, they had the talent but..... never won the big one, that was a team that should have done more.

The Titans game in 2002 was brutal, we were dominated on both LOS, I called my Dad the next day and told him we didn't deserve to go to the playoffs that year.

The Denver game this year was tough also, gave the game away, espically the way the team had dealt with adversity all year long. I thought the D had gotten to the point where they could dominate. The injuries in the OL caught up with us in that gaem, but we still gave it away with the TO's. I'll always wonder what effect Brady's hernia had on some of the off target passes that were missed.

SB XX never bothered me, we had a great (and unexpected) run in the playoff's, you always hoped they would find away, but the Bears were simply the best team that year. I did wish they had started Grogan, he would have done better than Eason.

Pats726 said:
WHat happeend in 87...I only remember that Eason was QB and they had opportunities...but details?? (I was traveling at the rime..and?? remember only sketchy radio accounts at the time..)
I remember that the Pats lead most of the game but Denver went ahead in the three quarter. The Pats offence was just awful in the four quarter with Eason getting sacked in the end zone to ice the game for the Broncos. That game was last meaningful game until like 1994 and that in itself made the lose harder.

At the risk of overemphasizing recent history, the Denver 2006 game belongs in the Bottom 3 IMO. Bears Super Bowl wasn't close enough to hurt too bad. Packers Super Bowl hurt more.

patsfan13 said:
For me the 76 Raiders game was the worst.

IMO the Pats were the best team in the NFL, a win there would have changed the franchise.

Next was the loss to GB in the SB, Parcells tanked, just a wasted opportunity, and I had food poisioning that day.

so you are with me.
i put these two losses at the first two positions.

OhExaulted1 said:
The last game I attended was at old Foxboro Stadium on Dec 27 1992 against MIA. We were 2-13 going into the game and Scott Zolak was our starting QB (**** MacPhearson coaching).

The temp at the start of the game was 16 degrees (you literally couldn't sit down on the aluminum beches without getting frozen stuck to them). At 13-13 in the 4th Qtr Charlie Baumen tried a 35 yarder and shanked it, sending the game into OT.

Marino had already been knocked out of the game but his backup (Scott Mitchell, former Lion) got them in position for a Pete Stoyanovich game winner, which he nailed.

It was after 4 and below zero when I left, and I remember thinking this team needs help or they'll get moved. Low and behold 6 months later we got Parcells and Bledsoe. Then Kraft bought the team.

very nice post.

italianpatthepatriot said:
we remember, correctly, our wins but what about hour strong and heavy losses ?

in my opinion:

1st : the loss at Oak 1976 (play-offs and Ben Dreith...never forget)
2nd : the loss against GB @ our 2nd Super Bowl (i thought we could have won...)
3rd : the loss against CHI @ our 1st Super Bowl (the way we lost was terrible)

another very very bad loss (i suffered a lot for it) when we lost @ PIT in the play-offs some years ago when Vrabel (at that time he playied with the Stillers) stripped the ball to Drew Bledsoe...i was desperated on that play that ended our season...

for you ?

Your "1st" is my number 1 through 10. 1976 fix game against the Faiders.

Bostonian1962 said:
Your "1st" is my number 1 through 10. 1976 fix game against the Faiders.

yes.correct.
that loss was so bad (at that time i was not yet a Pat fan as the NFL arrived in Italy later). anyway for what i have read the 1976 loss against OAK was emotionally terrible.

anyway very petty that during the '60,'70 and '80 we were unable to Win a Super Bowl...

very very petty...

i would have loved it...

but with could, should, would...you do anything...

ps = i want the throwback uniforms this year one game minimum !

cclocke said:
I saw someone say the 1997 playoff loss to Pitt was a tough one.

it was me, correct.
it was a huge and terrible loss.
i thought we were able to arrive in FG range and win it but Vrabel thought in a different way with Drew Bledsoe...

if i remember well we lost during the game Terry Glenn with injury.

anyway i was surely disappointed.

ok...when you loose in the postseason probably you are always disappointed.

Double G said:
Just another example of how Denver always has been and always will be a house of horrors for this team. The most recent loss is just another example of that.........

On the surface it looks like that, but consider the Elway era just exploited the fact that Denver had a better team than the Pats those years. They always had a better record when they played us, throw in the fact that they had 8/11 in Denver (definitely a scheduling anomaly) and there you go. We went 0-5 against the 49ers during their dominant years, simply because they were a better team.

Now we've played 5/6 in Denver since 2000 and we're a modest 2-3. The playoff loss was tough, but of course it had to be to Denver b/c they always pop up at the wrong time for us. Where were they in the 2003 and 2004 playoffs? Isn't it ironic that they never played our best team EVER in 2004? They catch the breaks in this series.

Looking to the future, Denver has to come to Foxboro in 2006. We can put a lot of bad memories to rest with a sound butt-kicking of the Broncos. We could get them in Foxboro again in '07 and they're guaranteed to come here in '08. Time to turn the series around.

it exist also today the Schaefer Beer or not anymore ?

About the 76 loss, everyone mentions the roughing the passer penalty against Sugar Bear, but there was a PI by Villapiano against Russ Francis that was a worse call (or non call in this instance) brutal, if they make the call the Raiders may never get the ball....

PatsFanSince74 said:
Great point re the 66 team (the 6-6-2 Jets didn't finish last, tho, that honor was reserved for the 3--11 Dolphins and Oilers). It would have been them instead of the Bills vs. KC for a ticket to SB I. If they'd pulled it off, Win or Lose, as the first AFL team in the SB, they wouldn't have had to wait over 30 years for Brady and Belichick to secure the Franchise's place in NFL history.

But, woulda, shoulda, coulda...

The Pats for some reason had KCs number in the mid 60's. Sort of like Denver has with us, currently. The Pats had already beaten KC that '66 season, and didn't fear them at all.

The Jet's Joe Namath revealed that he won that game while drunk as a skunk, from some all-night party he attended the night before the game. That made it hurt even more. It added to the mystique of the clown with the worst record as a QB by far in the HOF. He got there for his bravado with the media in SB III, and because of media hype by playing in NYC. If you look, he barely had a completion rate overe 50%, and threw more INTs than TDs for his career, far from HOF numbers. We all know what a boor he was/is, witness his drunken performance putting the make on some feamale reporter on Monday night, a few years a go.

I'm trying to remember just who was hurt for that '66 game. Was it All-AFL DE Larry Eisenhauer or All-AFL DE Bob Dee or both? Somehow I don't think either ever played again the following year...

patsfan13 said:
About the 76 loss, everyone mentions the roughing the passer penalty against Sugar Bear, but there was a PI by Villapiano against Russ Francis that was a worse call (or non call in this instance) brutal, if they make the call the Raiders may never get the ball....

then add too a FG miss from Smith...

ps = Schaefer beer exists also today's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes