PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The worst losses in our history...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing to Peyton last year at home didn't feel very good.

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
I agree that this is a great thread......keep up the good work, IPTP!

thks you too !

Pats Fanatic said:
The 1994 lose in the play-offs against the Browns was disappointing too.

true.
i remember very well that loss.
surely a disappointing one.

There have been so many "bad" loses in Patriots history.

The most difficult was the Super Bowl loss to Chicago because I was convinced that the Patriots would beat the Bears especially after they kicked the field goal on the opening drive. It was all down hill from there.

Patti37 said:

The most difficult was the Super Bowl loss to Chicago because I was convinced that the Patriots would beat the Bears especially after they kicked the field goal on the opening drive. It was all down hill from there.

true. for me that loss is at n.3 like the worst losses...

Patti37 said:

Ya gotta remember, shortly after that field goal, TE Lin Dawson went down with an injury and was forced to leave the game. In the Pats overall blocking scheme he was an important, integral part of it, and would have proven useful in handling that "46 defense".

I'm not saying the Pats would have won that game if he hadn't been injured (that was a great, great defense the Bears had that year), but I will note with interest that the following season the 2 teams played again, early in the season, with the Pats coming out on top. IIRC, one of the very first, or maybe even the first, offensive play featured a sideline pattern pass, Flutie to Fryar, that resulted in a touchdown. The Pats never looked back after that play.

Patriotic Fervor said:
Ya gotta remember, shortly after that field goal, TE Lin Dawson went down with an injury and was forced to leave the game. In the Pats overall blocking scheme he was an important, integral part of it, and would have proven useful in handling that "46 defense".

I'm not saying the Pats would have won that game if he hadn't been injured (that was a great, great defense the Bears had that year), but I will note with interest that the following season the 2 teams played again, early in the season, with the Pats coming out on top. IIRC, one of the very first, or maybe even the first, offensive play featured a sideline pattern pass, Flutie to Fryar, that resulted in a touchdown. The Pats never looked back after that play.

anyway that season was fantastic for our Patriots.

3 W on the road in the play-offs (first team ever in the NFL to arrive at the Super Bowl in that way).

Worst Losses

1) Losing to GB in the SuperBowl. When ever I see highlights of that game it just reminds me that we had the talent to beat them. But Parcell decided to do his job interviewing that week for the follwing year instead of preparing for GB. My wife still cusses at Parcells when he is on TV.

2) Losing to Miami in 2004 when we were up like 10 points with 4 minutes to go. God I could not believe Tom's interception. And those Miami morons thought they had won the SB.

3) I used to think the Bears SB loss yet now I accept the Bears were a team of destiny.

Last edited:
rabthepat said:
1) Losing to GB in the SuperBowl. When ever I see highlights of that game it just reminds me that we had the talent to beat them. But Parcell decided to do his job interviewing that week for the follwing year instead of preparing for GB. My wife still cusses at Parcells when he is on TV.

2) Losing to Miami in 2004 when we were up like 10 points with 4 minutes to go. God I could not believe Tom's interception. And those Miami morons thought they had won the SB.

3) I used to think the Bears SB loss yet now I accept the Bears were a team of destiny.

in my opinion too we had a chance to beat GB on our 2nd Super Bowl appareance and when we were leading 14-10 i was starting to dream...

but the return kick off in td destroyed literally us...
in that moment the game was closed.

petty...

Patriotic Fervor said:

Actually, that injury to Dawson occured on the possession where the Pats scored the FG. If you recall, the Pats recovered a Walter Payton fumble deep in Bears territory on the opening possession of the game, opening the door for a huge momentum advantage for the Pats. On first or second down of the Pats ensuing possession (I don't remember which) Dawson went out on an out pattern and blew out his knee, a very unfortunate injury. Then on third-and-long, Stanley Morgan was wide open for a TD on a post pattern but Mike Singletary made a great play by getting a finger on the pass causing it to go incomplete. The Pats had to settle for a chip shot FG and lost a lot of the momentum they had gained. I still maintain to this day that if the Pats could've scored a TD on that possession that the game could've been a lot closer. Not to say they would've won because the Bears just simply had an awesome team that season, but the outcome could've been much different because they would've had BIG MO with an early 7-0 lead.

Patriotic Fervor said:

The game you are referring to was actually in 1988. Flutie was not on the team in 1986--Tony Eason was the starting QB. In that game, Flutie had a bizarre statline, going something like 9-for-30 with FOUR touchdown passes in a 30-7 rout of the Bears. I remember a big deal was made out of that outcome in that the Pats gained some measure of "revenge" for the SB XX shellacking.

Patriotic Fervor said:

With 12 minutes left in the game, the Patriots had roughly 60 yards of total offense until the Bears finally called off the dogs. 60 yards of offense in the fourth quarter of a Super Bowl! Lin Dawson wasn't that important for Christ sakes. Listen, I have that game on tape and it was a pasting. The Patriots never had a chance against that team and anyone who thinks differently needs to watch the game over. In my opinion, it's still the most lopsided Super Bowl of all-time. Lets not sugar coat it 20 year later pretending the Patriots had a chance if their blocking TE didn't go down.

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
The game you are referring to was actually in 1988. Flutie was not on the team in 1986--Tony Eason was the starting QB. In that game, Flutie had a bizarre statline, going something like 9-for-30 with FOUR touchdown passes in a 30-7 rout of the Bears. I remember a big deal was made out of that outcome in that the Pats gained some measure of "revenge" for the SB XX shellacking.

No, Flutie was not on the team in '86. I believe he was signed during the strike season of '87. You're right - that Bears game probably was in '88.

The thing I remember most about that game, apart from the Fryar touchdown pass, was McMahon being carted of the field on a stretcher. That was worth the price of admission!

anyway also if we should have lead 7-0 i think we should equally lost against the Bears

in my opinion they were that year one of the best ever teams in the Nfl

the DE was extraordinary

we were pratically never in the game

but it should have been nice to take a better lead then 3-0 (FG Tony Franklyn)

See ya soon...

NEM said:
There was a game at Fenway Park, i believe 1963 or so, against Buffalo, late in the season, IN THE SNOW and we got beaten on a pass to Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion. It was a key game for a division title, i I remember correctly. That was devastating to me, at the time.

The playof loss to Houston at Foxboro in the Chuck Fairbanks debacle. That was a horrible day. And, it was on New Years day, i believe.

Last years loss to Denver really pissed me off. It did not have to be, even with the turnovers.

EDIT: SEE YOU AT THE PICNIC ON SUNDAY???????????????????

2nd edit: The monday night game, in the rain, where we lost in overtime on the kickoff return by some guy named Washington.

Nem,

I have plans to be there ....

AzPatsFan said:
Another bad loss that you may not remember was the 51-10 drubbing by San Diego in the '63 AFL Championship game. If they had won, perhaps they would have had a stadium built before 1970, or sold some more tickets, and might have had the one more player they needed to go to the First Super Bowl in '66.

People forget that all they had to do was beat the then lowly, last place, Jets at the end of the season and they would have gone instead of KC in '66. The game swung on the fact that one of their defensive linemen was injured late that year and they had no qualified substitute. The Jets won and the Pats never recovered.

Great point re the 66 team (the 6-6-2 Jets didn't finish last, tho, that honor was reserved for the 3--11 Dolphins and Oilers). It would have been them instead of the Bills vs. KC for a ticket to SB I. If they'd pulled it off, Win or Lose, as the first AFL team in the SB, they wouldn't have had to wait over 30 years for Brady and Belichick to secure the Franchise's place in NFL history.

But, woulda, shoulda, coulda...

One real bad loss that You omitted my Italian Friend is the 1978 New Years Eve Playoff Loss to the Houston Oilers. The Pats were flat and never showed up.They made Dan Pastorini look like a Hall of Famer that day.Simply brutal.

Patriotic Fervor said:
No, Flutie was not on the team in '86. I believe he was signed during the strike season of '87. You're right - that Bears game probably was in '88.

The thing I remember most about that game, apart from the Fryar touchdown pass, was McMahon being carted of the field on a stretcher. That was worth the price of admission!

1987. Flutie was a scab! :)

I saw someone say the 1997 playoff loss to Pitt was a tough one, but one of the toughest Patriots losses was vs Pitt a few weeks before that. The Patriots had the game in control until Bledsoe through a late pick and the Steelers came back to win. If the Pats would have one that game, they would have been playing Pitt at home in the 2nd round, and who knows what could have happened.

worst losses ever

Aside from the ones already mentioned, one that sticks out in my mind was in 1984 after Berry replaced Meyer as the coach and the Patriots has a shot at making the playoffs. They were at Denver, driving late in the game for the go ahead score when Don Crickie (sp?) said "and Grogan hands off to the sure handed Mosi Tatupu" and the next thing you know, fumble, a Denver defensive back scoops up the ball and runs it all the way back for a TD, ballgame.

Just another example of how Denver always has been and always will be a house of horrors for this team. The most recent loss is just another example of that.........

Worst Losses

The last game I attended was at old Foxboro Stadium on Dec 27 1992 against MIA. We were 2-13 going into the game and Scott Zolak was our starting QB (**** MacPhearson coaching).

The temp at the start of the game was 16 degrees (you literally couldn't sit down on the aluminum beches without getting frozen stuck to them). At 13-13 in the 4th Qtr Charlie Baumen tried a 35 yarder and shanked it, sending the game into OT.

Marino had already been knocked out of the game but his backup (Scott Mitchell, former Lion) got them in position for a Pete Stoyanovich game winner, which he nailed.

It was after 4 and below zero when I left, and I remember thinking this team needs help or they'll get moved. Low and behold 6 months later we got Parcells and Bledsoe. Then Kraft bought the team.

Call me supersticious, but I haven't been to a game since. Is Gillette any nicer in the bleachers nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes