The worst losses in our history...

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
we remember, correctly, our wins but what about hour strong and heavy losses ?

in my opinion:

1st : the loss at Oak 1976 (play-offs and Ben Dreith...never forget)
2nd : the loss against GB @ our 2nd Super Bowl (i thought we could have won...)
3rd : the loss against CHI @ our 1st Super Bowl (the way we lost was terrible)

another very very bad loss (i suffered a lot for it) when we lost @ PIT in the play-offs some years ago when Vrabel (at that time he playied with the Stillers) stripped the ball to Drew Bledsoe...i was desperated on that play that ended our season...

for you ?

2002: The Jets loss and the Titans loss. Those were brutal, and basically said to the world, "This team ain't goin' back to the playoffs this year."

San Diego 51-10

Another bad loss that you may not remember was the 51-10 drubbing by San Diego in the '63 AFL Championship game. If they had won, perhaps they would have had a stadium built before 1970, or sold some more tickets, and might have had the one more player they needed to go to the First Super Bowl in '66.

People forget that all they had to do was beat the then lowly, last place, Jets at the end of the season and they would have gone instead of KC in '66. The game swung on the fact that one of their defensive linemen was injured late that year and they had no qualified substitute. The Jets won and the Pats never recovered.

That 1976 team had a real shot at winning the Superbowl, and what could have been better for this countries bicentenniel than having the Patriots win the Superbowl. Plus it was a completely bogus roughing the passer call.

To our Italian friend, I just want to thank you for your refreshing posts that subtley remind us how very lucky we are to be fans of the Pats! Especially during this pre-draft, the sky-is-falling time! Your posts almost always bring a smile, so thankyou!

Excellent thread, and I agree, IPTP adds alot of good stuff to this board =)

Anyway, in my young years, those most stinging losses was the MNF loss to the Titans and the sunday night football loss to the Jets. I agree with above. That right there proved this team just did not have what it takes. Even though they played that amazing game against the Dolphins...=(

Maybe I'm shortsighted, but I would put last year's playoff loss to the Broncos up there. That really stung me.

Aaarggghhhh, it still hurts!!!

Patjew said:
Maybe I'm shortsighted, but I would put last year's playoff loss to the Broncos up there. That really stung me.

Definetly "up there".

PatsChick87 said:
To our Italian friend, I just want to thank you for your refreshing posts that subtley remind us how very lucky we are to be fans of the Pats! Especially during this pre-draft, the sky-is-falling time! Your posts almost always bring a smile, so thankyou!

dear Patschick87
thanks a lot for yr kind words; i appreaciate a lot.
so: grazie, again.

i love to exchange comments with other Patriots Fans and it is a real petty that i follows the Pats not from New England and i find difficulties that yiu can imagine to see games. many times (in the night) i listened them on the radio via nfl.com...that was all...

thks also for the fact that you appreciate my posts as i really appreciate the posts from all of you !

BionicPatriot said:
Excellent thread, and I agree, IPTP adds alot of good stuff to this board =)

thanks you too BionicPatriot.

very kind words. i really like that competent fans in US appreciate my comments like i appreciate yours !

Last edited:
FreeTedWilliams said:
That 1976 team had a real shot at winning the Superbowl, and what could have been better for this countries bicentenniel than having the Patriots win the Superbowl. Plus it was a completely bogus roughing the passer call.

Yeah...That loss probably was the worst in our history...
Many are considering the 1976 Pats the best ever Patriot team.

I would like to see that game...How is it possible to do that ?

Yes that game that was stolen from us in Oakland. The Surgar Bear Hamilton roughing call which the reply showed he never touched Stabler. We would have won our first SB that year, I'm sure of it.

Also, our first home playoff game that we lost to Houston -can't remember the year. All I can remember is that on 4&1 we went will an 11 man front and got toasted.

if i should add my 5th one i will consider when we lost @ Jax in the wild card game as Zolak was our qb...
i was pretty sure we had zero possibilities and infortunately i was right...

Drew Bledsoe (i loved him on these years and i bought 2 jerseys with # 11) was injured (finger if my memory is correct).

but, NUMBER ONE, again, OUR TREMENDOUS LOSS 1976 against Oak...

'' this time the Pats would suiffer the most devastating and controbersial loss in franchise history ''...

Fairbanks called that loss a 'tragedy'...

the game still evokes outrage in NE...

and so on...

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
Yes that game that was stolen from us in Oakland. The Surgar Bear Hamilton roughing call which the reply showed he never touched Stabler. We would have won our first SB that year, I'm sure of it.

Also, our first home playoff game that we lost to Houston -can't remember the year. All I can remember is that on 4&1 we went will an 11 man front and got toasted.

That might have been '78. Dan Pastorini was the Houston QB, and accurately read the blitz on that play, and lofted (really lofted!) a pass to his wideout on the left side, who was streaking down the sideline. Such an eager and easily discernible blitz indicated that the Pats did not know what was coming up with that particular play. Pastorini may have audibilized the play at the line.

The Pats tried that stunt with San Diego back in '70, when Unitas was QBing for SD. Ball is snapped, 2 steps back, and Johnny U hits a WR (Alworth?) on a short slant past the defensive backfield (which was actually non-existent on that play). The result, of course, was a touchdown.

They lost that game, 14-13.

Ahhh, such was life in this storied franchise!

We had a Sunday night game against Denver at home in '95 where they came in and killed us 37-3 IIRC. Games like that always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Patjew said:

I hear ya!

Why did I ever re-download some Bronco fan's highlight video of the game (which, because the Broncos really did very little to actually win the game themselves) was more like a lowlight video of the Patriots.

Just seeing Belichick use every explicative in the book arguing with that scum bag (should sit right up there with Dreith) Tripplette gives me all the motivation in the world to not only fight against the officiating in this game, but in the entire playoffs. Absolutely pitiful.

I agree that this is a great thread......keep up the good work, IPTP!

I'll go along with several other posters in saying that the 1976 Playoff loss to the Raiders was the most difficult for me. That 1976 Patriots team was a great team and could've very well gone all the way if not for the shoddy officiating. The officiating in that game was by far the worst I've ever seen in my close to 40 years of being a football fan, the bogus roughing the passer call on Sugar Bear just being the tip of the iceberg.

As far as the most lopsided Pats loss I've ever witnessed, some of you longtime fans will remember (or just as soon forget) the record 52-0 pasting taken at the hands of the Dolphins in Miami in 1972. IIRC, the Pats were down 21-0 at the end of the first quarter!

Another difficult one for me to take was the 20-3 (I believe that's the correct score) MNF loss in Miami in December 1980. A divisional crown was at stake for the Pats and the loss kept them out of the playoffs. As if that wasn't bad enough, the evening was made even worse when we all learned that John Lennon had been murdered.

And last season's playoff loss to the Broncos was a bitter pill to swallow. I really felt good about the Patriots chances of winning another Super Bowl leading up to that game.

AzPatsFan said:
Another bad loss that you may not remember was the 51-10 drubbing by San Diego in the '63 AFL Championship game. If they had won, perhaps they would have had a stadium built before 1970, or sold some more tickets, and might have had the one more player they needed to go to the First Super Bowl in '66.

People forget that all they had to do was beat the then lowly, last place, Jets at the end of the season and they would have gone instead of KC in '66. The game swung on the fact that one of their defensive linemen was injured late that year and they had no qualified substitute. The Jets won and the Pats never recovered.
I have to totally agree with you on these two losses. The drubbing in SD was bad..the upstart Patriots vistied and got their bums kicked. I remember that Cappeletti ran down and scored a TD, but it was called back because in running the route he was out of bounds. THAT was early in the game and really they were totally out of it.
Yes..they had to bea the Jets..IN NY. I remember that because it was one of the first games I saw in color; at a friend's house. Jim Nance was suppose to gain a number of yards and win the rushing title and the Patriot team was suppose to win and head for the playoffs. As it turned out, the team lost, Nance didn't get his yardage and Emerson Boozer ran wild!! I remember a lineman from the Jets, Sherman Plunkett. He was wide, so wide when you looked at the OLine you could see he rook up much more width than any of the other linemen, but strangely enough for his mamoth size he could run and I remember him ambling downfield, gut hanging out, but leadint the way for Boozer. It was a disappointing loss.
But I wwill add another one, the first playoff game in Foxboro, 12/31/78 when the team was trounced by the OIlers. A New Year's eve game, I believe player later in the afternoon..maybe 4. The big play was a fake field goal with Pastorini flipping the ball to a player who cut in front of him and ran outside in for a TD. It fooled the D and the Pats lost 31-14.

I agree with the all the games here, yes the Oakland games still gets my blood bolling 30 years later. I would like to ad the 1987 game against the Bronco's in the play-offs that Tony Eason managed to blow. The 1994 lose in the play-offs against the Browns was disappointing too.

Pats Fanatic said:
I agree with the all the games here, yes the Oakland games still gets my blood bolling 30 years later. I would like to ad the 1987 game against the Bronco's in the play-offs that Tony Eason managed to blow. The 1994 lose in the play-offs against the Browns was disappointing too.
WHat happeend in 87...I only remember that Eason was QB and they had opportunities...but details?? (I was traveling at the rime..and?? remember only sketchy radio accounts at the time..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes