PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The buy in factor

Real fan 02

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Buy In..

During the off season we all had high hopes. That last season was self-inflicted. I'd say even after week 1 most of us were still optimistic. With the ccomplilations of poor play, injuries and poor play execution has us at 2-7. Personally I didn't think we'd be 2-7 and actually look like it.

What is starting to become apparent is the loss of buy in. Not that the players don't respect or belive in the Coach. I just feel as though they've lost optimism, and confidence that the team can win. most of us watch the games each week and ESPN and others can keep all the stats they wasn't buy the eye test is the true tale.

Devon Godchauxs comments made after the loss last week is inidictive of how guys feel on defense. We are at a crossroads, and it's going to be very interesting to see what transpires after this season. Like to hear your thoughts!

some of us with eyes realized the ship be sinking (Michael Ray Richardson) at some point in 2020. The Patriots lost the ability to win games against anyone other than backup and rookie quarterbacks. The conservative nature of the offense and defense was exposed. The lack of any playmakers on offense was exposed. The coach's mind numbing player acquisition and in game decisions were exposed. some of us who weren't blinded by the rings Tom Brady brought this team knew the end was nigh.
There was no buy in last year. Many games looked like the team, the coaches or both quit.

Last edited:
The Buy In..

During the off season we all had high hopes. That last season was self-inflicted. I'd say even after week 1 most of us were still optimistic. With the ccomplilations of poor play, injuries and poor play execution has us at 2-7. Personally I didn't think we'd be 2-7 and actually look like it.

What is starting to become apparent is the loss of buy in. Not that the players don't respect or belive in the Coach. I just feel as though they've lost optimism, and confidence that the team can win. most of us watch the games each week and ESPN and others can keep all the stats they wasn't buy the eye test is the true tale.

Devon Godchauxs comments made after the loss last week is inidictive of how guys feel on defense. We are at a crossroads, and it's going to be very interesting to see what transpires after this season. Like to hear your thoughts!
To be honest, how many of us fans feel the same? Isn’t this just accepting reality?

”these are the times that try men’s souls”

this is when we see which players buy in to the right way of doing things because it’s the right way to do things, not just because they get rewarded.

that’s where we hear some of the veterans that are team leaders talking about respecting the game of football.

It shows who is in it just for bling and who is in it because they love the game. JC, for example.

this is when Bill finds out what he’s got. Hopefully it’ll inform roster decisions for next year, whoever makes them.

The buy in wont occur until the QB position is fixed.

That is the cold hard truth and the one position that if you are successful at correcting, will reap the highest rewards.

Simply look at our own Patriots for proof of what I say. For decades the Pats struggled to be good and then fortunes changed with Brady. The 80s Chiefs. Marty had really good teams, but never had a good QB. The Bills have been adrift since Jim Kelly. The Jets losers since Namath. The Browns were good with Marty, but lost to the better QB. Since then the Browns have been a QB clownshow.

To be honest, how many of us fans feel the same? Isn’t this just accepting reality?

”these are the times that try men’s souls”

this is when we see which players buy in to the right way of doing things because it’s the right way to do things, not just because they get rewarded.

that’s where we hear some of the veterans that are team leaders talking about respecting the game of football.

It shows who is in it just for bling and who is in it because they love the game. JC, for example.

this is when Bill finds out what he’s got. Hopefully it’ll inform roster decisions for next year, whoever makes them.
Perfect post! To me.. it's becoming with each passing week that not necessarily what BB is coaching.. but the belief that the offense can score.. it was a matter of time before guysbon defense started to express frustration publicly..

It’s a thin line to walk. If you’re a hard ass coach you better win or you’ll lose the team. Winning is what kept players in line over the years, and winning kept the reinforcement from guys like Brady, Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Mayo, McGinest, McCourty, etc easier for others to follow.

With the bad drafts, the talent drain, dumb decisions like Patricia/Judge…. it’s all come crumbling down. We aren’t winning and we aren’t close to winning. The roster is almost completely removed from our last playoff win, so what are these current players buying in to?

i see 95% of the players going out there and trying hard to win...

I see guys like Shaun Wade busting ass to earn reps...
I see guys like Conor McDermott busting his ass to get back...
I see guys like David Andrews call out his teammates (pointing at you JC Jackson)...
I see guys like Matthew Judon, who's on IR, standing on the sidelines cheering the team on...

To me, thats a sign that the majority of players on this team have "bought in"...

I do not think the idea that the majority, or even a large percentage, of the team not "buying in" is correct... I think its a bunch of ******** that comes out of the mouths of talking heads on the radio and television because they are quite literally going after Belichicks head because they dont like him... And it makes for great clickbait articles and takes...

I am not absolving BB of anything when it comes to the current state of the team... All of our issues stem from his actions or lack of actions because he's the guy who built this roster and coaching staff... but, the guy can coach.

Last edited:
some of us with eyes realized the ship be sinking (Michael Ray Richardson) at some point in 2020. The Patriots lost the ability to win games against anyone other than backup and rookie quarterbacks. The conservative nature of the offense and defense was exposed. The lack of any playmakers on offense was exposed. The coach's mind numbing player acquisition and in game decisions were exposed. some of us who weren't blinded by the rings Tom Brady brought this team knew the end was nigh.
There was no buy in last year. Many games looked like the team, the coaches or both quit.

No, you can't judge anything at all from 2020. That was a throwaway season with the roster bottoming out and Covid. The Pats were hamstrung by the cap, Tom was gone and Cam arrived as temporary placeholder. Everyone knew the REAL post-Brady reset was on tap for 2021 via free-agent signings and young QB. Where things started sliding sideways was 2022: Patricia/Judge, mediocre draft and the likes of Agholor/Jonnu Smith not panning out. This year saw more roster mismanagement greasing the skids to where we are.

The team hasn't quit, it just isn't talented.

It's not a matter of "buying in". They just don't have any talent which has been the case since 2019. It all starts with the QB and Tom was clearly burnt out during his last season with the team. From throwing the ball into the dirt to yelling and humiliating WR's by laughing at their mistakes I will always be Pro-Tom, but that wasn't a good look or a way to go out a Patriot. No matter what level you've played at, the rest of the team always follows what the best player does.

They need a capable QB and put talent around him in order for the team to "buy in".

So here's where we are.

- BB has his future locked up, with a long-term extension signed this off season. I am sure he CAN be fired, but it's built for "fire Belichick" to be a chant for fans not an actual strategy or solution.

- Supposedly BB and the Pats are super-loose in Germany right now, cracking jokes about how it's an opportunity to drink beers with the guys, etc. I guess at 2-7, all the hardass stuff is just hard to be intense about.

- We've been through where we are on talent. I think we actually lost this season in the trenches, via O-line, and Mac's quite low ceiling for managing the game and "making everybody better" has been exposed. He's just not very good. No predictions, but barring some second-half tear on his part, I've had it. That doesn't likely mean Zappe. It means actually hit on a QB selection like we thought we had done with Mac.*

* Since I am always wrong, this means he will be in the pro bowl again in 2024, or whatever they do instead of the pro bowl now.

- Realistically we could catch fire and make the playoffs but it's so infinitesimally unlikely that chances are better that I'll be asked to play a skill position. I'm 61. I plan to play under the nom de guerre John BigBoutte.

The actual Boutte, it should be noted, is now the sole bright spot among the WRs, now that Demario Douglas has joined the cool kids in the injury tent...

I had higher hopes than this for this season. I do agree that last year we had a self-inflicted coaching wound, but that masked the other messes. How could the O Line be any good without a competent O Line coach? Okay, now we at least have Klemm, who knows O line, coaching O line... oh wait we still suck? It's okay you say, the injured guys are pretty good? I hear good things about Trent Brown, but how do you know. ****. The last pic of Trent Brown was a grainy shot of him walking off looking over his shoulder in the woods. He's spent more time on the milk carton's back than you're mom's, and that's saying something. At least Sidy Sow has been back, if only to facilitate impressions of the City Wok guy from South Park. In any event, we need to start thinking about O-line guys as not viable if oft-injured. You just can't carry enough backups for injury proneness across the O line.

I think to get in tune with the basic premise of the thread, yeah we suckkkkkkkk. This is something that happens when you don't have the greatest football player of all time as your QB, and you start having to imagine solutions (I remember we'd lose 2 games in a row and guys here were ready to trade Brady... but we're finally at a point where there's no more "there" there in terms of balancing the sunk costs.) Sure JuJu and Parker (for what it's worth) aren't holding up, and we can argue about how much of that is Mac, and then we can argue how much of Mac is the O Line....but clearly, the sunk cost fallacy can't be sustained any longer on a lot of this roster. I've been fine explaining why various strategies were (apparently) good bets, and they still are in some cases. But there's no explaining a 2-7 season as "crazy like a fox."

Kraft has decided that BB has the keys (and BB haters, understand it's not RK's first rodeo either.) He's going to get another shot at this rolling rebuild/cluster... but I don't think the phoenix rises this year or even comes close. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe the looseness at the podium is everybody's break from things like talk of buy-in... who knows... Or maybe it's even the leading edge of an "unthinkable" "Tank for [your name here]" moment.

We all need a poster of a kitten unable to get into something or out of something with the slogan "Mama said there'd be seasons like this."

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back