PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The weakest link in Steelers offense is their lack of reliable depth and....Big Ben?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Rich Hill made a great observation on how to limit Pittsburgh explosive offense:

The key to beating the Patriots requires the third, fourth, and fifth offensive skill players to outplay the Patriots third, fourth, and fifth defenders

.....But once you get beyond Bell and Brown, who represent 51.8% of the Steelers yards from scrimmage in 2016, there aren’t many other consistent threats in the Pittsburgh offense. WR Eli Rogers has 600 yards from scrimmage as the #2 receiver. No other player has more than 500 yards from scrimmage. If the Patriots can limit either of Bell or Brown, as they are capable of doing, then the Steelers offense would be greatly hindered.

Essentially, the Patriots can figure out a way to scheme out the impact of both Brown and Bell, and put the pressure on other WRs, TE, and RBs to make plays.

Where it gets interesting is what Hill says about Roethlisberger:

Ben Roethlisberger is having a bad season: The Steelers QB, who I had as a top 5 player at his position, has been terrible in 2016. Even though the Steelers have won 9 straight games, their offense has been carried by Le’Veon Bell over that stretch. Bell’s historic rushing output has been great for the Steelers in terms of moving the ball, but Roethlisberger has struggled with turnovers and finishing drives. The Steelers QB likes to take chances with his All-Pro caliber arm strength, something the Patriots can take advantage of. The Patriots will likely be keeping two safeties deep and playing a good amount of Cover 2 to take away the big plays and make Roethlisberger dink and dunk his way down the field. The Patriots defense will have to be patient because Roethlisberger will make mistakes and give you that turnover-worthy throw at least once per drive.

Seems like a risky strategy to try and dare a 2-time Super Bowl champ like Big Ben to beat you with his arm and put togethet long, methodical drives. But then again, you could argue he's been the weak link of Pittsburgh Killer Bs, especially on the road:

@PF_SU: "For some reason Roethlisberger has struggled massively on the road these last couple of years (for his standards).

2015: 6 games, 1850 yards, 70.8% completion, 5 TDs, 9 INTs
2016: 8 games, 1904 yards, 59.36% completion, 9 TDs, 8 INTs"

Also, this

Will definately look forward to seeing the Patriots defensive gameplan

Since December, the Chiefs have allowed a 28 point game by the Falcons and a 27 point game by the Chargers. They won both but Ryan threw one TD against them and Rivers two. The Chiefs won both games and one of Rivers TD's was when the game was in hand, but both Offenses managed to get into the end zone five times between them vs. zero for the Steelers.

I think that BB will be able to game plan for these guys, but it will be a game.

I am not sure the Steelers last year were not better - they had better WRs. Remember if the RB (not Bell) does not fumble in the 4th - Steelers very likely put Denver out. Ben was hurt for that game with his shoulder too. I do not fear their offense this year as much as last. Their defense is probably a bit better - certainly a lot better than when we played them in week 1. Control their big weapons and they will struggle.

I never imagined BB selling out to stop Bell. My guess is they'll keep two safeties deep and put pressure on the front 7 to contain Bell.

For a qb with an all time great receiver, running back and top 5 o-line, Ben has been incredibly average this year.

I should probably be a lot more afraid then I am, but I believe in BBs ability to limit either brown or bell, and don't see who else is going to be able to beat us.

For a qb with an all time great receiver, running back and top 5 o-line, Ben has been incredibly average this year.

I should probably be a lot more afraid then I am, but I believe in BBs ability to limit either brown or bell, and don't see who else is going to be able to beat us.

Actually what's interesting is that when offensive stats are reviewed for 2016...............................................

The Steelers "explosive" offense is identical to Arizona's.

Yet, Arizona isn't considered "explosive" and Carson Palmer isn't "top 5".

This actually stems from the fact that two players count for so much of yardage. What should actually be judged is how the overall offense works.

I went to the Buffalo/Miami game Xmas eve and watched the Bills put 600+ yards on the Dolphins.

Nobody considers them "elite".

I think Hill is spot on.

Hes thrown 9 picks in his last 6 games. Something is up.

Plus he has that hard liquor drinkers head. Big fat jowels and neck. I bet he eats a lot of fried food. Surprised he doesn't sit a game out for the gout

I think Hill is spot on.

Hes thrown 9 picks in his last 6 games. Something is up.

Plus he has that hard liquor drinkers head. Big fat jowels and neck. I bet he eats a lot of fried food. Surprised he doesn't sit a game out for the gout

Did you catch what Michaels said during the broadcast?

"In the last game, when he got hurt, he thought it was his shoulder. Then got checked out and it was his foot".

I mean, I don't think any of us should play doctor, but there are some dots one could connect.

Did you catch what Michaels said during the broadcast?

"In the last game, when he got hurt, he thought it was his shoulder. Then got checked out and it was his foot".

I mean, I don't think any of us should play doctor, but there are some dots one could connect.

Something is absolutely up no question.

In his first 10 games he threw 8 picks. As I said earlier he thrown 9 in his last 6.

He is not a healthy man on a number of levels.

He may be the weakest link, but unlike many NFL QBs, Ben can be bad for three quarters and come up big in the clutch. Even though we hate the Ravens, they & the Steelers are unafraid. Not like the Colts for instance.

I think NE is stronger & I believe they'll prevail. But, I for one will not be doubting Ben's ability to make something happen when the game is on the line. He's proven & tough (despite his weekly little faux boo boo).

He may be the weakest link, but unlike many NFL QBs, Ben can be bad for three quarters and come up big in the clutch. Even though we hate the Ravens, they & the Steelers are unafraid. Not like the Colts for instance.

I think NE is stronger & I believe they'll prevail. But, I for one will not be doubting Ben's ability to make something happen when the game is on the line. He's proven & tough (despite his weekly little faux boo boo).

No question. Even hurt Ben is a QB you respect. Unlike the Alex Smith types he makes plays and has been doing it for a long time.

Wheaton was basically out all year
Bryant was suspended for the season
Green's been mostly useless
Coates has been injured
DHB has been injured

It should come as no surprise that Roethlisberger's had some struggles. That being said, there are some signs of possible decline there, and Pitt's going to have to take a hard look at that in the offseason.

But TE, not QB, is the weakest link, if you're taking depth out of the equation.

Low key Big Ben is actually the weakest QB remaining in the playoffs. He has been a bit more erratic this year than he has in years past.

Well, thank goodness the haters will be able to continue to claim that the Patriot D hasn't yet played anyone who's any good so we still don't know about them.

I expect us to beat them like a drum.

I never imagined BB selling out to stop Bell. My guess is they'll keep two safeties deep and put pressure on the front 7 to contain Bell.

Defensively, I believe they'll use the same game plan they used in week 7 to slow Bell down.. That's the week that Bell had 21 rushes for 81 yards.

Offensively, they'll use the 3 headed Monster of Lewis, Blount and White to wear down the Steelers and open up the passing game. I honestly hope we see some Jumbo sets with Fleming out there..

The O-line will have to be weary of Stunts, Twists, and delayed blitzes from the Steelers' LBs Harrison, Shazier, and Timmons. The Pats will need to use Hogan, Floyd, and Bennett to open things up in the passing game the way that Gronk did.

In 19 PO games Ben has 24tds and 22 pics. He's also 13-6 in the PO's with 2 rings and doesn't play scared, that's all that really matters. Hopefully we grab 1 or 2 and can make them pay, we'll see.

Defensively, I believe they'll use the same game plan they used in week 7 to slow Bell down.. That's the week that Bell had 21 rushes for 81 yards.

Offensively, they'll use the 3 headed Monster of Lewis, Blount and White to wear down the Steelers and open up the passing game. I honestly hope we see some Jumbo sets with Fleming out there..

The O-line will have to be weary of Stunts, Twists, and delayed blitzes from the Steelers' LBs Harrison, Shazier, and Timmons. The Pats will need to use Hogan, Floyd, and Bennett to open things up in the passing game the way that Gronk did.

Bell worries me a lot, more than A.Brown.

Bell worries me a lot, more than A.Brown.

I really believe that Belichick and Patricia will have a scheme ready to handle Bell's stop and go running style. I think they will use their 3-4 and fill his running lanes when he pauses. Bell is really talented but I can't help but feel that defensive coordinators are going to figure it out in much the same way they figured out how to handle the read and react run option QB's like RGIII and Kaepernick.

I really believe that Belichick and Patricia will have a scheme ready to handle Bell's stop and go running style. I think they will use their 3-4 and fill his running lanes when he pauses. Bell is really talented but I can't help but feel that defensive coordinators are going to figure it out in much the same way they figured out how to handle the read and react run option QB's like RGIII and Kaepernick.

Yeah hopefully, maybe they let the d-line penetrate more to disrupt his stalling in the backfield, or maybe have the d-line engage and just hold their blocks and let Bell come to them and make the stop.

That's what I thought when I saw them cruise past the Dolphins with Roethlisberger throwing ... what, 17 passes. Silly Dolphins DC, I thought. Then they did more or less the same thing to KC and I started to wonder if there wasn't a bit more to it than I could see. Anyway, paging Elandon Roberts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes