Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This out from Nolan Nawrocki at PFW today:

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

Of interest:

1. Josh Freeman as the hottest QB prospect in the draft. “From a pure talent perspective,” said Rams vice president of player personnel Tony Softli, “Freeman is as gifted as any of them.” “I think he will be the best of this class when we look back in three years,” said one college scouting director not in the market for a passer. “He’s a football guy in and out between the ears. He has prototype size. He can move around the pocket and make all the throws.” “He had nothing around him — no line, no receivers, to tight ends, no running backs — and he still beat Texas,” a general manager said. “To us, he has the best arm strength in this class, better than Stafford’s.” Other evaluators think Freeman will have to sit a year before he is ready, and they shake their heads at the Ben Roethlisberger comparisons some observers have bestowed on Freeman. “If teams have not learned their lesson from JaMarcus Russell and Jason Campbell, then that’s their problem,” another scouting director said. “But he is going to take some time.”

2. On Lawrence Sidbury: “(Richmond DE-OLB) Lawrence Sidbury is not ready. He’s so raw. It’s awfully rich to take him in the first two rounds. He’s got the physical tools, but he’s just a pup.”

3. On Andre Smith: “To me, (Alabama’s) Andre Smith is the most ready to play of any tackle in this class because of the system he came from. He played against a high level of competition. I think he will be a better guard than a tackle, but Day One, you can plug him in and he will play. Regardless of all (character concerns) that are talked about, he is a quality kid. His weight is our biggest worry.”

4. On the OG prospects: “I’m not sure there is a great guard in this draft class. To be honest, if we had to have one early, I would take one of the centers and make him a guard. I’d take Max Unger or Eric Wood early before I drafted a guard highly. Unger is so smart.”

5. On Aaron Maybin: “(Penn State DE) Aaron Maybin has the biggest upside of any pass rusher in this draft. He’s got elite pass-rush ability. He can be a big-time player in the right spot. We play our defensive ends a little differently than a lot of teams. If you need one to play the run, you’ll wish he played the run better, but in terms of natural leverage and body lean — he’s been taught well in a short time. He has a natural feel and does a lot on instinct. He will skyrocket with good coaching. He did not run a great 40, but he has great anticipation off the snap and gets on the quarterback quickly.”

6. On Tyson Jackson: “(LSU DE-DT) Tyson Jackson would have a difficult time playing for us. I don’t know if he is man enough to play defensive tackle and he is not the bend-off-the-edge pass rusher we want. He’ll make the 10 or 12 teams running the 3-4 very happy — he’s a naturally big guy with long arms and plays on his feet — but he is not a great pass rusher. I think he’s a five-technique only.”

Call me crazy. Just have a hunch we are going to trade up for Andre Smith. If you'd have asked me at the end of the reg. season, I'd have had him the top OL. We could plug him in at RT for 10yrs. I just think 23 is a little high for some of these olb prospects. None of them are a sure thing. I think 34 is the spot for olb. 23 and 47 to move up. Thoughts?

Call me crazy. Just have a hunch we are going to trade up for Andre Smith. If you'd have asked me at the end of the reg. season, I'd have had him the top OL. We could plug him in at RT for 10yrs. I just think 23 is a little high for some of these olb prospects. None of them are a sure thing. I think 34 is the spot for olb. 23 and 47 to move up. Thoughts?

I think there's a decent chance we trade up from 23 to around 15-18 to get someone who BB considers a top 10 guy who slips. The 4 guys I can think of are Aaron Curry (who may slip out of the top 10, though he could still go top 5), BJ Raji (who probably won't get past Denver at 12), Malcolm Jenkins and Andre Smith. I think if he can get one of those 4 guys he pulls the trigger, and then rolls the dice on some high upside guys in the 2nd round like Barwin, Delmas, Gilbert, etc., depending on who is available.

The Pats had Andre Smith in for a visit. I think the big questions are (1) his immaturity issues, (2) his weight, and (3) how well he fits the Pats' system. He is a top 5-10 talent in this draft, so you have to at least think about him. I'm sure they're talking to Nick Saban about him. With that in mind, I think there's a good chance he goes to Cincinnati at #6.

I think someone trades up for Sanchez. So, Cincy can get Monroe. Who most have rated 2nd overall T.

1. Det - Stafford
2. St L - J.Smith
3. KC - A. Curry
4. Sea or trade - M.Sanchez
5. Cleve - M. Crabtree
6. Cincy - E. Monroe
7. Oak - BJ Raji
8. Jax - I think we have to move here to get A. Smith

I think someone trades up for Sanchez. So, Cincy can get Monroe. Who most have rated 2nd overall T.

1. Det - Stafford
2. St L - J.Smith
3. KC - A. Curry
4. Sea or trade - M.Sanchez
5. Cleve - M. Crabtree
6. Cincy - E. Monroe
7. Oak - BJ Raji
8. Jax - I think we have to move here to get A. Smith

As predicted in my latest mock from yesterday, I think Seattle will take Sanchez at #4 unless someone trades up to #3 with KC, which is likely. In that case, Seattle takes Monroe at #4 and Cleveland takes Crabtree at #5. If by some chance KC takes Curry at #3 and Seattle takes Monroe at #4, then Cleveland will quite possibly trade down with someone targeting Sanchez at #5. Whichever way it works out, I think Cincy will end up deciding between Andre Smith and BJ Raji at #6.

I think there's a decent chance we trade up from 23 to around 15-18 to get someone who BB considers a top 10 guy who slips. The 4 guys I can think of are Aaron Curry (who may slip out of the top 10, though he could still go top 5), BJ Raji (who probably won't get past Denver at 12), Malcolm Jenkins and Andre Smith. I think if he can get one of those 4 guys he pulls the trigger, and then rolls the dice on some high upside guys in the 2nd round like Barwin, Delmas, Gilbert, etc., depending on who is available.

The Pats had Andre Smith in for a visit. I think the big questions are (1) his immaturity issues, (2) his weight, and (3) how well he fits the Pats' system. He is a top 5-10 talent in this draft, so you have to at least think about him. I'm sure they're talking to Nick Saban about him. With that in mind, I think there's a good chance he goes to Cincinnati at #6.

:biggrin2: I hope we land one of them with our first rounder. Give me anyone of thoes four oryou can throw in Crabtree (doubt he will fall) and I dont care what we did with the rest of the picks.lol

I have this nagging feeling that BB is either gonna trade up or down in the first round....

I just don't think we will be picking a player at 23....

I am expecting a slight move up if BB can get a player he really wants, if that doesn't transpire a slight move back to improve the team draft positioning next year....

It's just a vibe I'm getting.... Can't wait for Saturday!

Last edited:
:biggrin2: I hope we land one of them with our first rounder. Give me anyone of thoes four oryou can throw in Crabtree (doubt he will fall) and I dont care what we did with the rest of the picks.lol

That's sort of my gut feeling right now - just a hunch. Go for the home run in the 1st round and then roll the dice on some risk/reward guys in the 2nd round. If we hit it right we could be set up for the next 5 years. If we strike out on some of the 2nd rounders we've still grabbed someone in the 1st that we never thought we would get. Someone is going to fall into the teens who would have been a consensus top 10 pick in January, and who probably still deserves to be. Plus, that would take some pressure off of the 2nd round guys.

That's sort of my gut feeling right now - just a hunch. Go for the home run in the 1st round and then roll the dice on some risk/reward guys in the 2nd round. If we hit it right we could be set up for the next 5 years. If we strike out on some of the 2nd rounders we've still grabbed someone in the 1st that we never thought we would get. Someone is going to fall into the teens who would have been a consensus top 10 pick in January, and who probably still deserves to be. Plus, that would take some pressure off of the 2nd round guys.

You some sort of mind reader or something. Haha well you basically took the words right from my mouth. I love this draft strategy. This type of strategy can absolutely make this team a Monster for the next 5 years but It set us back if any of the seconds don't work out we have one of the safer and higher ceiling guys in the first.

ok, a few things from me

I think Seattle really does like Sanchez. And I think SF does too — and they might indeed have to get to 3 to get him.

If Curry falls out of the top 10, which I don't think he has a chance of doing, we should be all over that.

Cleveland's gonna take Crabtree. They probably do like Sanchez, but he won't be there anyways.

All the trade talk is interesting. I see us either leapfrogging New Orleans for Jenkins or possibly Washington for Smith if he falls. I wish I was a fly on the wall in the Pats war room to hear how Belichick truly values Curry and Raji.

Other evaluators think Freeman will have to sit a year before he is ready, and they shake their heads at the Ben Roethlisberger comparisons some observers have bestowed on Freeman. “If teams have not learned their lesson from JaMarcus Russell and Jason Campbell, then that’s their problem,” another scouting director said. “But he is going to take some time.”

No question, Freeman would benefit from patience. Yet...I'm kind of leery of "they shake their heads at the successful white quarterback comparisons some observers have bestowed on Freeman. 'If teams have not learned their lesson from unsuccessful black quarterbacks, then that’s their problem.'" IMO Freeman's clearly a better, readier prospect than Flacco was last year.

I had the same response, Patchick. It seems unfair and embarrassingly backward to profile him as a failure or success based on skin color. While I think he's too raw for the NFL his rookie season, my belief is based on his 1) skill set, 2) level of competition, and 3) relative inexperience. I feel that Stafford and Sanchez should have waited as well. Junior QBs rarely play well their first few years, and it's a huge jump from Kansas State to the NFL.

Still, best of luck to the kid. He looks like he could do well, one day. :)

Dear goodness when will the nightmare scenarios stop? Trade up scenarios for questionable guys like Maualuga and now Andre Smith have me reaching for the barf bag.

Last edited:
Dear goodness when will the nightmare scenarios stop? Trade up scenarios for questionable guys like Maualuga and now Andre Smith have me reaching for the barf bag.

Saturday when your nightmares become realities.

Saturday when your nightmares become realities.

I want to change my avatar every other day to a new top five pick. Would that give me street cred?

Last edited:
I want to change my avatar every other day to a new top five pick. Would that give me street cred?

Sure whatever you want big guy, avatars, tear drops below your eyes. It dont matter...And not all of them are top five picks they are just players on my board, see I dont have my sights set on one or two players I have an entire board of about 20 that I would be happy with. Who ever we pick will be the permanent avatar.

Sure whatever you want big guy, avatars, tear drops below your eyes. It dont matter...And not all of them are top five picks they are just players on my board, see I dont have my sights set on one or two players I have an entire board of about 20 that I would be happy with. Who ever we pick will be the permanent avatar.

Cool! My avatar is going to be a picture of Mel Kiper.

2 thoughts:

Just Say No to trade-ups. Why throw away a 2nd or 3rd-round pick just to move up a few spots to take somebody who might be there at 23 anyway, or if not him, then somebody very similar to him? We need all 4 of our top-60 picks to replenish the defense & OL. Don't screw this up, Bill.

VJCPatriot is right: I will puke in my mouth if Andre Smith is drafted by the NEP; I'll puke all over the TV if we trade up to take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3