PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The way to get into the first round next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiZa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
There has been talk about using our 2nd rounders to get into the first round next year. I think we need to look at the value of our seconds before they can be traded. We can do that by looking at past history (from wikipedia):

2009:
#37 Seattle → Denver. Seattle traded this selection to Denver for Denver's 2010 first-round selection
#43 San Francisco → Carolina. San Francisco traded its 2009 second- and fourth-round selections to Carolina for Carolina's 2010 first-round selection

2008:
No future trades into first round

2007:
San Francisco traded its fourth-round selection in 2007 and their first-round selection in 2008 to New England for the second of New England's first-round selections #28

San Francisco traded their second-round selection (42nd overall) to Indianapolis for their first fourth-round selection and their first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

If the pats plan to take 44 or 47 into next year's first they will likely need to include a 4th round choice and maybe even a 7th. If the Pats want to use #22 to get into the first round next year we can probably do it and get a extra 3rd, maybe 2nd in this years draft.

The best case scenario (if the player we want isn't there) would be to trade back in the first round from 22 to 30-34 (picking up another 3rd) and trade that pick into the first round next year.

EDIT: This is not my opinion, it's a guideline for everyone to use when discussing trade value

Last edited:
Silly me. I thoutht that we didn't have a great need to get into the first round in 2011. I thought we alread had a high and a low pick in that round.
===================

At some point, we need to realize that the entire POINT of accumulating picks is to draft top players in a solid draft.

We are here. The time is now. If anything, we might consider trading our 2011 first for a 2010 second if there is an additional player that is of sufficient value there for us.
===================

There has been talk about using our 2nd rounders to get into the first round next year. I think we need to look at the value of our seconds before they can be traded. We can do that by looking at past history (from wikipedia):

If the pats plan to take 44 or 47 into next year's first they will likely need to include a 4th round choice and maybe even a 7th. If the Pats want to use #22 to get into the first round next year we can probably do it and get a extra 3rd, maybe 2nd in this years draft.

The best case scenario (if the player we want isn't there) would be to trade back in the first round from 22 to 30-34 (picking up another 3rd) and trade that pick into the first round next year.

Last edited:
So you want 3 1st round picks in 2011? No thanks

If anything, we might consider trading our 2011 first for a 2010 second if there is an additional player that is of sufficient value there for us.
Not sure why you feel it's more likely Belichick does something he's never done before.
So you want 3 1st round picks in 2011? No thanks
Yeah, why in the world would the Pats want 3 picks in a 1st round loaded with elite talent?

Last edited:
Not sure why you feel it's more likely Belichick does something he's never done before.

Yeah, why in the world would the Pats want 3 picks in a 1st round loaded with elite talent?

Hey kiddo, do you really think that the Pats want to sign 3 players to first round $ ?

I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Oakland's pick in 2011 to get out of the first.

It wouldn't be a guarantee that they could find teams to take those picks, no chance in hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
The priority for NE in my mind is to take advantage of a strong draft class and the "ammunition" for trading having 12 picks provides to go get the kids whom you feel will best help the team. There is a valid reason to consider trading forward into 2011 - that will create the extra picks in 2011 to trade forward again into 2012. Trading back is likely to accumulate more picks, which creates the opportunity to stockpile additional 2011 picks so NE can keep reloading each year.

If NE were to trade up in the first using a second, that doesn't preclude them from trading down with one or both of the remaining seconds to recoup the bundled pick and target a healthy looking third round crop of prospects.

At some point, we need to realize that the entire POINT of accumulating picks is to draft top players in a solid draft.

We are here. The time is now.

Heck, yeah. I love extra picks as much as anybody, but the Pats already have 2 #1's for 2011, and they'll have a young roster heading into that draft. The draft future is in fine shape.

Meanwhile in the right now you have a good, deep draft which should deliver uncommon value for those 2nd round picks -- and a roster with some outstanding talent but also some big holes.

Ok, I didn't mean this thread to be my opinion that we need another first rounder next year. It was meant as a guideline, so when there is talk about trades, it's understood that we can't just get another teams first round pick with just the 44 or 47.

Ok, I didn't mean this thread to be my opinion that we need another first rounder next year. It was meant as a guideline, so when there is talk about trades, it's understood that we can't just get another teams first round pick with just the 44 or 47.

Ah, fair enough. Yep, especially this year when there's likely to be somebody extra appealing hanging around at 44.

Ah, fair enough. Yep, especially this year when there's likely to be somebody extra appealing hanging around at 44.

:rofl: Dripping sarcasm

Hey kiddo, do you really think that the Pats want to sign 3 players to first round $ ?

I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Oakland's pick in 2011 to get out of the first.

It wouldn't be a guarantee that they could find teams to take those picks, no chance in hell.

If you didn't know, 2011 will most likely have a rookie pay scale in the new CBA. So it wouldn't be much $ to commit to 3 choices.

They already have 3 2's this year (with lots of needs), so I think they will keep them and either move up/down this year, and keep the 2 1's next year.

i could see the pats tradeing down a few spots to pick up a 3rd round pick. but i don't want them picking up one more first round pick. cause we know the pats will not draft 3 first rounder they will trade at lest one for a first round pick in the next years draft. and so on...

brady is not geting younger at some point you have to start. filling the needs on your team. if your not going to be active. in free agency. then you have to fill your needs in the draft.

If you didn't know, 2011 will most likely have a rookie pay scale in the new CBA. So it wouldn't be much $ to commit to 3 choices.

They already have 3 2's this year (with lots of needs), so I think they will keep them and either move up/down this year, and keep the 2 1's next year.
Exactly. That's why a lot of juniors came out this year because they won't get paid next year. Sure, it would be great to have 3 1st rounders but this team needs help right now.

I personally think we should trade all of our picks in the first and second rounds for each and every year until 2015,that way when brady reaches 38 years old he will have a bevy of 20 first round picks to build at team around :rolleyes:

The goal should be to keep trading forward until one year we have every pick in the 1st round. Or maybe the 2nd round.

If anything they should trade down out of the 1st and end up with something like

2 2s
3 3s
3 4s
2 5s

With that, I don't think they can miss.

Mardy Gilyard/Rejus Benn
Sapp

Teo-Neshiem
Hardesty
Deaderick/ Jones

Scott Long
AJ Edds
Verner / Murphy (CB)

Larsen (C)
Antonio Brown WR/PR

There. There's your whole draft!

At some point you have to stop trading for future picks. That point is now.
This draft is exceptionally deep because of all the juniors who declared early in fear of the rookie salary cap for 2011.
We already have 3 of the top 62 picks for 2011, one of which will likely be quite high.
The time is now to harvest the fruit that BB planted in the 2009 draft with the 2 additional second rounders. We have OLB issues in a very deep OLB draft. Same for wide receiver.

Forget trading into 2011 with any of our seconds, unless its just silly as to what is offered.
2010 is a critical draft from this franchise on the heals of a very good 2009 draft.
2011 is already set.

The 3 year window of the 2009-10-11 draft has the potential to set this franchise up for the next 5-7 years.
We need to draft quality players early (round 1 and 2) this year.

The goal should be to keep trading forward until one year we have every pick in the 1st round. Or maybe the 2nd round.

If anything they should trade down out of the 1st and end up with something like

2 2s
3 3s
3 4s
2 5s

With that, I don't think they can miss.

Mardy Gilyard/Rejus Benn
Sapp

Teo-Neshiem
Hardesty
Deaderick/ Jones

Scott Long
AJ Edds
Verner / Murphy (CB)

Larsen (C)
Antonio Brown WR/PR

There. There's your whole draft!

I'd really like to see the Pats take your approach, though I'm not sure that they can aquire all those mid-round picks simply by trading their early three. Also, your picks are (mostly) a round or two earlier than CBS is currently tracking those prospects.

(your) Second Round:
WR - Mardy Gilyard 106 (EARLY 4TH)/Rejus Benn - 55 (LATE 2ND)
OLB - Sapp - 90 (LATE 3RD)

Third Round:
DE/OLB - Teo-Neshiem - 119 (MID 4TH)
RB - Hardesty - 64 (LATE 2ND)
DT - Deaderick - 234 (LATE 7TH)/ DT - Jones - 136 (EARLY 5TH)

Fourth Round:
WR - Scott Long - 188 (MID 6TH)
OLB - AJ Edds - 220 (EARLY 7TH)
CB - Verner - 142 (EARLY 5TH) / Murphy - 80 (MID 3RD)

Fifth Round:
OC - Ted Larsen - 177 (EARLY 6TH)
WR/PR - Antonio Brown - 193 (MID 6TH)

As long as we're speculating wildly, based on the current CBS tracking, I'd go this way:

Second Round:
OLB - Misi
WR - Damian Williams

Third Round:
RB - Tate or Gerhart (or ****erson!), maybe two of them
OLB - Sapp
OC - Tennant, or TE - Pitta

Fourth Round:
DE/OLB Te'o-Nesheim
WR - Roberts
WR - White

Fifth Round:
ILB - Jamar Chaney
SS - Larry Asante

After that, we might still be able to pick up Larsen, Brown, Long, Edds, or Deaderick, if you like. We could also pick up:

WR - Sanders, Jeremy Williams, Easley, Shay Hodge, Barnes, Kerry Meier, Ajirotutu
TE - Hoomanawanui (just to hear Chuckie try to pronounce it), Byham, Peek, Shuler, Geer
RB - Andre Dixon, Deji Karim, Richard ****son (FB), Jameson Konz (FB)
SS - Myron Rolle, Cody Grimm, Matt O'Hanlon
FS - Jonathan Amaya
OC - Joe Hawley
QB - Mike Kafka
OLB - Danny Batten
DE/OLB - Jeffrey Fitzgerald
OT - Tyler Eastman
DT/DE - Doug Worthington
CB - Richard Sherman

Just to name a few.

I'd love to see BB trade back into the 3rd round to pick up players who might be slight/moderate reaches in the 2nd like:

D. Teo Nesheim
B. Tate
D. Pitta

I want these guys and don't want to gamble that they'll still be available in the 4th.

Last edited:
You just never know how things will play out in the draft.

What is at #53 BB has fill three huge needs and is very happy with his first three picks and a team comes calling with an offer of their 2011 1st and 2010 fourth to get #53. With the depth of this draft #53 could definitely be worth a 2011 first plus additional 2010 pick.

Yes having three 1st rounds in one draft is just too many but they can be used to acquire a proven player who fills an immediate. Keep in Mind that BB would have to be happy with his first three picks and getting an additional fourth in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back