PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Value of pick #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are numerous possibilities here but one thing I havent seen anyone suggest is to package say both our 2s to a team like Carolina for a 1st rounder next year. I think if its a notably bad draft maybe we grab our 2 first rounders and trade out. Truth is with the way we have been picking up players off the street I tend to think the draft is getting a bit over rated...anyone else?

I dont see how you can say its overated (McCourty, Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes, Deaderick alone from last year) and about 45 others on the roster were drafted. Someone once said "it is what it is"

I really can't see BB keeping all three of our first picks without some sort of trade scenario.

I've said it before, but I think BB ends up swapping #33 for a first round in 2012 and a 3rd or 4th rounder in 2011. BB is the best at acquiring picks and moving around the boards. He'll get his guys and reload for next reason.

We all know that finding value is one of the best thing the Patriots do during the draft. I don't see how this is going to be any different. It's almost a guarantee that every year there will be some desperate team willing to trade to move up for a guy they want. BB just knows how to take advantage of it.

2010 DRAFT - 7 SOLID CONTRIBUTERS IN 2010
I would add Cunningham, Mesko and Price. We had a tremendous amount of production from this draft class. One should also note that we draftd larsen who started for another team for most of the year.

Of course, we pick up street free agents. Everyone does after the season starts. Also, Belichick usually has his one or two before the season begins. This year Love and Fletcher were our UDFA's.

However, Fletcher and Love (and Moore) should not give us the impression that the

2009 DRAFT - 7 SOLID CONTRIBUTERS IN 2010
Vollmer, Chung, Tate, Edelman, Brace, Pryor, and Butler.

I dont see how you can say its overated (McCourty, Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes, Deaderick alone from last year) and about 45 others on the roster were drafted. Someone once said "it is what it is"

Would it shock anybody if BB traded the #33 pick and a third rounder to move UP into the 20's?

You're right - with Bill you never know. Good out of the box thinking.

However, I don't like this scenario for following reason. To make this trade means doing it while first round clock is ticking Thursday. Which means you don't really get to see what the 'auction overnight price' of the 33rd pick would be. As the 33rd pick should surely fetch a premium due to the auction nature of having all night long (and next morning) for teams to reset their draft boards and covet that 'special someone'. Ergo. you trade away the pick before seeing what the true inflated value will end up being. I think Bill will smarter than that and wait to get the best possible value for that pick. He also gets to 'control' which team he trades the pick to.

IMHO - trading 33 for a first next year (plus premium of say 3 -mid rounder) would be wise as not only move into first round next year- but also get one extra year of contract on 1st rounder vs. second rounder.

You're right - with Bill you never know. Good out of the box thinking.

However, I don't like this scenario for following reason. To make this trade means doing it while first round clock is ticking Thursday. Which means you don't really get to see what the 'auction overnight price' of the 33rd pick would be. As the 33rd pick should surely fetch a premium due to the auction nature of having all night long (and next morning) for teams to reset their draft boards and covet that 'special someone'. Ergo. you trade away the pick before seeing what the true inflated value will end up being. I think Bill will smarter than that and wait to get the best possible value for that pick. He also gets to 'control' which team he trades the pick to.

IMHO - trading 33 for a first next year (plus premium of say 3 -mid rounder) would be wise as not only move into first round next year- but also get one extra year of contract on 1st rounder vs. second rounder.

Good point, extra year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back