PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Stephon Gilmore Free Agency Signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm not really big into calling people out but as good as Gilmore is I think a number of people deserve that for all their rage howling about his contract when he was still trying to fit into our system.

What does it matter, though, people who were unwilling to be patient with a new guy for 4 whole games aren't exactly the sort to take a step back and try to learn from the experience. They just move on to howling about the next thing never sparing a moment for self-analysis.

In 3 years when Gunner is a major contributor all the people who bizarrely want him cut now will be singing his praises with nary a second thought for ****ting on him now.

I hear you @fnordcircle . I was personally a little concerned about Gilmore’s rocky start but was able to hold onto In Bill I Trust and figured with that contract there must be some really big upside, and based on the contract structure, Bill has no doubt about Gilmore.

I do think the context here is also about Malcolm Butler in the 2017 offseason though. That was before his disastrous 2017 season/SB benching, and fans felt the Patriots chose Gilmore over someone they thought could become a franchise legend (SB49 hero and growing into role as NFL Star.) All offseason there were grumblings from Butler’s agent, a visit to the Saints, etc. So that explains a lot of the impatience and backlash re: Gilmore.

Once again Bill is a genius. Butler isn’t in the same class as Gilmore.

I do think the context here is also about Malcolm Butler in the 2017 offseason though. That was before his disastrous 2017 season/SB benching, and fans felt the Patriots chose Gilmore over someone they thought could become a franchise legend (SB49 hero and growing into role as NFL Star.) All offseason there were grumblings from Butler’s agent, a visit to the Saints, etc. So that explains a lot of the impatience and backlash re: Gilmore.
I think that's an important context. We had rumblings about Butler's extension not materializing and then all of sudden (and I think everybody was stunned, no media members had any clue about this until it happened) Gilmore, a seemingly up and down CB in Buffalo, gets signed to a big contract. And then he started quite slow, not having the communication and so up to pace.

But since the one game he sat out in 2017 he's been the best CB in football. With the possible exception of Rodney Harrison, Gilmore's the best free agency signing during Belichick's tenure.

Who would have thought 2.5 years ago that Bill would sign a HOF talent in Gilmore?

In fairness to Bills fans, he never played to this level with them. I recall a few games where the Pats beat him over the top and thinking to myself hmmmmmm, not sure about this one. Shows BB the GM has half a clue about how to coach up talent.

That's because he played in 4 different defenses in 5 years. Honestly don't know if anyone could really play at a consistent top level when you have to learn a new defense every year

2012 - DC was Dave Wannstedt
2013 - DC was Mike Pettine
2014 - DC was Jim Schwartz
2015 - Rex Ryan
2016 - Rex Ryan

His 2 best years there was with Rex Ryan which was the only time he played consecutive seasons in the same system.

That's because he played in 4 different defenses in 5 years. Honestly don't know if anyone could really play at a consistent top level when you have to learn a new defense every year

2012 - DC was Dave Wannstedt
2013 - DC was Mike Pettine
2014 - DC was Jim Schwartz
2015 - Rex Ryan
2016 - Rex Ryan

His 2 best years there was with Rex Ryan which was the only time he played consecutive seasons in the same system.

I don't think those 2 years were really that much better and even if they were, none of those even came close to his 2017 performance, his first year in NE.

I do wonder what bill saw that have him the confidence to give Gilmore that contract. Before the Pats Gilmore was not all that good (read average to slightly above average).

You could go back to Deion Sanders, who seemed to make a Super Bowl winner back and forth between Dallas and SF.

Revis wasn't bad.

But for length of service Gilmore is the best I can think of.

Reggie White is another one from that era.

Is there any comparable guy in the salary cap era though? Taking out QBs (Manning and Brees are obvious huge wins), who has been a better huge free agency (new team) signing than Gilmore?

Wanted him out of the draft, wanted him when he played against us in Buffalo, I was freaking pumped when we signed him to that long term deal.

He's got it at all.

I was flat out wrong about this signing. I was skeptical due to him being up and down in Buffalo and never quite reaching super star level.

This signing came out of left field the first day or so of free agency and BB hit the jack pot.

Trumaine Johnson was trash with the Rams and I’m not even sure if he’s playing for the Jets right now.
For your penance, 2 our father's, and 3 hail Mary's.

When we signed him I was super excited! I gotta go find the post because back then we finally signed a solid corner in his prime vs Revis who was pretty much at the end of his career.

He's exceeded expectations with the clutch factor. The INT in last year's SB, caused an INT in the Eagles SB that woke us up, broke up the 4th down pass in the Jaguars AFCC on the game's biggest play. Hard to think of any defender in this run who's made that many huge postseason plays in a 2 year span, maybe Rodney in 03/04. Great and clutch, a rare quality.
Hightower

He is by far the best CB in the league right now

Reggie White is another one from that era.

Is there any comparable guy in the salary cap era though? Taking out QBs (Manning and Brees are obvious huge wins), who has been a better huge free agency (new team) signing than Gilmore?
Talib was a great signing for the Broncos. So was Ware.

I thank Buffalo every day for not resigning him

It was an impressive fa class. Although I do admit I was excited and nervous about the signing at the same time. I remember Brady burning him deep and targeting him a lot one game. Back of mind was thinking that is a lot of dough for someone who isn’t all pro. Also knew he was young and the potential was there. Just never imagined it would be Dion Sanders hemisphere.

In 3 years when Gunner is a major contributor all the people who bizarrely want him cut now will be singing his praises with nary a second thought for ****ting on him now.
Not cut. Sit a game. Because reasons. For his own good. You know. Because that's how things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes