PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The question that needs to be asked: Why did McNally call himself the "deflator"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgotts

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
We all know the science in the Wells Report is bunk, which means the text messages are the basis of the "more probable than not" determination.

Looking at the text messages, the only words that seem potentially damning are McNally referring to himself as the "deflator" and joking about "not going to espn". Wells himself pinpointed those texts twice in his conference call yesterday. I think it's fair to say that he based his conclusions on those texts and those text alone.

So the logical next step is to ask McNally the question - what do those texts mean? Why do you call yourself the "deflator"?

The answer to those questions hold the key to this entire f'ing debacle. I honestly wish McNally had taken that 2nd interview with Wells. That'd clear up everything. Hopefully they get to the bottom of that in the upcoming appeal and/or lawsuit.

EDIT: I only want this question answered because I think if McNally produced a reasonable answer to it, it'd absolve himself, Jastremski, and Brady of EVERYTHING claimed.

Last edited:
Remember, that text message exchange was during preseason, May 2014. I'm not even sure the off season program for the players was even underway.

Regardless, Wells would not have believed him. That statement was made in May. Why in May?

Honestly, if those two guys, McNally and Jastremski don't sue, than I would be more disappointed There is no evidence that they did anything wrong.

We all know the science in the Wells Report is bunk, which means the text messages are the basis of the "more probable than not" determination.

Looking at the text messages, the only words that seem potentially damning are McNally referring to himself as the "deflator" and joking about "not going to espn". Wells himself pinpointed those texts twice in his conference call yesterday. I think it's fair to say that he based his conclusions on those texts and those text alone.

So the logical next step is to ask McNally the question - what do those texts mean? Why do you call yourself the "deflator"?

The answer to those questions hold the key to this entire f'ing debacle. I honestly wish McNally had taken that 2nd interview with Wells. That'd clear up everything. Hopefully they get to the bottom of that in the upcoming appeal and/or lawsuit.

EDIT: I only want this question answered because I think if McNally produced a reasonable answer to it, it'd absolve himself, Jastremski, and Brady of EVERYTHING claimed.

You mean the 5th interview with McNally? Don't be one of the Sheep and believe everything you read or hear from these clowns.

My latest theory is that, due to his hard rocking college days, his nickname has always been The Def Leopard, and his phone auto-corrected.

We don't know, but it's irresponsible to assume what he meant. Remember that Wells interviewed the team's backup QBs going back many years. If McNally was supposedly altering their game balls, you'd think at least one of them would've known something about that scheme. Instead, no backup QB is mentioned in the report, as far as I know.

Who freaking knows..... Me and wife have goofy senses' of humor. Whenever she ask's me to do something she knows I don't feel like doing, I will reply with "*****.... Please". In person, on the phone, in text messages..... It's our funny "little thing". In fact, when things get a little heated between the two of us a well placed "*****.... Please" will surely break the tension and have us giggling in no time. She gives as much she gets as well.

However............. looking at just those texts messages without any other context, one could easily make the statement that I don't have any respect for my wife (or woman in general for that matter). Nothing could be further from the truth and me and my wife have been happily married for over 25 years. The same thing goes with many of my friends. We bust stones in any other number of ways via text.

My point is............ taken out of context, one could absolutely make false assumptions about my relationships based on looking just at my text messages. unless you have a full understanding of the dynamics of any given relationship, you can't possibly begin to assign meaning (beyond a reasonable doubt) to a small snippit of an exchange from a text.

It's worth discussing and dissecting - and I recognize you're just trying to get the arguments straight

I think the answer to all of these things is "we don't know"

But my starting point on this issue is the fact that I believe "the deflator" monicker may be related to the pe-AFC Championship game realization that despite the rule that allows QBs to prepare their own balls and set the PSI within regulation, the Officials appear to potentially routinely violate their own rules and over inflate by a whopping 3PSI

It would not surprise me if the Patriots equipment guys, knowing that Brady likes his set at 13psi (not below 12.5 - but right in the middle per the texts from McNally etc) were in the practice of making sure that the officials did not cheat and put Brady at a disadvantage

The irony of course is that McNally and co were potentially "cheating" by stopping the officials from cheating

It would also not shock me if they went out of their way to make sure the officials were not cheating in the AFC Championship game - that doesn't mean Brady ordered them too

Here's a bit of the text exchange per NESN

— Texts never state Tom Brady wanted his footballs under 12.5 PSI

The closest Jastremski or McNally comes to saying Brady is in on any deflation is when Jastremski texts the following:

Jastremski: Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and said you must have a lot of stress trying to get them done…

Jastremski: I told him it was. He was right though…

Jastremski: I checked some of the balls this morn… The refs (expletive) us…a few of then were at almost 16

Jastremski: They didnt recheck then after they put air in them

This was after the Patriots’ Week 7 win over the New York Jets, and it actually raises more questions than answers. If McNally’s stress was to deflate footballs, then why were they at 16 PSI the next morning?

Apparently, McNally wasn’t doing his job very well. Why were the footballs at 16 PSI at all? The Patriots must have submitted footballs under 12.5, the officials must have refilled them, and they refilled them way too much without checking the level, proving no one really cared about football inflation or deflation as recently as October.

McNally also sends these texts to his fiancée that week:

Jastremski: Ugh…Tom was right. Jastremski: I just measured some of the balls. They supposed to be 13 lbs… They were like 16. Felt like bricks

This is actually the only text in which Brady’s desired PSI is revealed, and it’s not 12.5 or lower. McNally told the officials Brady wanted the footballs inflated to 12.5.

A common theme in Jastremski and McNally’s texts is Brady complaining about the PSI level in footballs, but it all seems to be related to the Jets game, when they were overfilled by 3.5 PSI.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/05/five-biggest-issues-with-evidence-against-patriots-in-wells-report/

Last edited:
My grandfather was "Chaff" because, as a child, he said the boat goes "chiff chaff". Another guy sat on a FudgeO. They now call him "Fudgy Buns". Andy was chubby. There was another Andy that leaved nearby so he became Big Andy - which shortened to "Bindy".

Nicknames are not proof.

You mean the 5th interview with McNally? Don't be one of the Sheep and believe everything you read or hear from these clowns.

5th interview overall. Wells only did one interview with McNally, and found the text messages after that first round. I think Wells is pure scum and a true moron but I don't know if he's stupid enough to lie about those details.

Yes, the science is bunk. Therefore the text messages are irrelevant because they were used to determine how the footballs defied the laws of nature which they did not. If you have overwhelming circumstantial evidence against you that you committed murder and the suspected victim walks through the door, you no longer need to prove why the circumstantial evidence is not proof you murdered the person.

Asking McNally the question is pointless, as far as Wells is concerned. He asked him who 'he' was with respect to he knows it is stressful. Both McNally and Jastremski answered, and put 'he' on the phone to corroborate and Wells conclude all 3 were lying and the reasonable conclusion is he is Brady, apparently because they were searching for evidence against Brady, so it must be him.

If you want a reasonable explanation that jives with the data at hand, McNally was responsible for getting the balls from Jastremski when Jastremski had prepared them and adjusted the pressure. Apparently McNally handled that. Every ball is inflated and or deflated prior giving them to the referee. The person who deflates is not guilty of anything unless he does it after the balls are checked. No one has credibly shown that happened.

Remember, that text message exchange was during preseason, May 2014. I'm not even sure the off season program for the players was even underway.
and McNally only works for the Patriots on game days of home games so hadnt worked in 4 months, and wasn't going to for another 3.

If my job was to put the balls at 12.5 and after games they were 16 and such I could either throw the balls out or get nick named "deflator." I'm amazed and disappointed no one has figured out that obvious bit yet.

Probably suffering erectile dysfunction? Or he's a breast man?

My wife calls me super weird ass names in bed all the time....and this is when I'm trying to sleep.

The real question should be is a nickname really proof of anything?

If I call myself Brady does that mean I banged Gisele?

That context is certainly important, but I'm not sure it means we can completely throw these texts away.

And as someone mentioned above, nicknames aren't "proof", but in an investigation like this, where people's words are the evidence, an explanation would go a long, long way in drawing conclusions. Not to mention, there's still the "not going to espn" comment.

Again, just trying to consider what would really clear up the muddy water surrounding the Pats. Wells made it clear yesterday that these texts GREATLY factored into his conclusion (lets be real -- they're the only thing he has). So yes, they should be looked into further.

Side note: Frankly, I'm not sure an investigation should have happened in the first place given the shoddy practices around enforcing this rule during the AFCCG. I want that to be looked into as well, but since the investigation happened and has caused as much hype as it has, the factors listed above need to be considered.

Last edited:
I agree the deflator comment could just as easily refer to McNally deflating the balls to around 12.5-13 psi because of the ref's constant overinflating the balls. The going to ESPN comment is a little more problematic. But this could easily be explained by McNally and Jastremski skirting the rules (deflating the balls after the refs reinflate them too much) by deflating them back down, but still within regulation. This could be done without Brady's knowledge, because it was common knowledge by these two at what PSI Brady liked the footballs. It would still be cheating, in some form, but without Brady knowing, and without having an illegally underinflated football.

Could mean anything. It could mean the balls come out of the box overly inflated and he has to deflate them when they receive them to something unrelated to the balls. It could mean he is actually deflating balls after they are measured. But we don't know.

Not to mention, there's still the "not going to espn" joke.

Based on the general tone of those texts, it fair to say (if they weren't completely joking about the whole exchange), that Brady can be a bit of a hard ass on the help when it comes to getting things the way he wants them. Hell, he'll chew out fellow teammates, who are his peers in general, when they don't get plays exactly right, it's not weird to think he probably gave Jastremski a ration of **** for over-inflated footballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes