PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Quest for LB Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
At the conclusion fo the Draft and early Vet FA, fans said the Pats still needed a reserve TE and a couple of reserve Linebackers.

I don't know what will happen with the reserve TE, or even if it is a real need, (they may simply de-emphasize TE receiving), but here is a report on what is developing as the Pats FO continues its Quest for LB Depth. They have signed several UDFAs. The best is probably James Morris Iowa, although Devon Skinner from Miss State and Cameron Gordon from Mich were signed as well.

In addition, the Pats signed several young vets who never produced for one reason or another. James Deering, an ex 5th from ND by the 49ers; and Stevan Sylvester from the Steelers is another such.

The Pats FO also signed James Anderson, a 30 year old, 3rd round vet starter from the Bears, who is a veritable coach on the field. If he has anything left, he automatically becomes the 4th Pats LB.

They also signed 29 year old Marvin Mitchell a swing starter from the Vikings out of Tennesee. He too is an experienced vet ex starter, but not as distinguished as Anderson.

There is also the Pats LB holdovers, and Beauharnis a 7th rd ex-captain from Rutgers is probably the bet there. The others seem to be only ST players.

In summary, I think the Pats have found their first and second reserve LBs in James Anderson and James Morris/Beauharnis/Mitchell. Someone else like Deering/Sylvester could break through though.

Any posters can amplify and spread some light on these candidates if you wish.

Please post details of when Sylvester, Anderson and Mitchell signed for the patriots. I understand that they were in for tryouts. Also, when was the signing of LB James Deering?

At the conclusion fo the Draft and early Vet FA, fans said the Pats still needed a reserve TE and a couple of reserve Linebackers.

I don't know what will happen with the reserve TE, or even if it is a real need, (they may simply de-emphasize TE receiving), but here is a report on what is developing as the Pats FO continues its Quest for LB Depth. They have signed several UDFAs. The best is probably James Morris Iowa, although Devon Skinner from Miss State and Cameron Gordon from Mich were signed as well.

In addition, the Pats signed several young vets who never produced for one reason or another. James Deering, an ex 5th from ND by the 49ers; and Stevan Sylvester from the Steelers is another such.

The Pats FO also signed James Anderson, a 30 year old, 3rd round vet starter from the Bears, who is a veritable coach on the field. If he has anything left, he automatically becomes the 4th Pats LB.

They also signed 29 year old Marvin Mitchell a swing starter from the Vikings out of Tennesee. He too is an experienced vet ex starter, but not as distinguished as Anderson.

There is also the Pats LB holdovers, and Beauharnis a 7th rd ex-captain from Rutgers is probably the bet there. The others seem to be only ST players.

In summary, I think the Pats have found their first and second reserve LBs in James Anderson and James Morris/Beauharnis/Mitchell. Someone else like Deering/Sylvester could break through though.

Any posters can amplify and spread some light on these candidates if you wish.

Please post details of when Sylvester, Anderson and Mitchell signed for the patriots. I understand that they were in for tryouts. Also, when was the signing of LB James Deering?

I don't know from Chrisi Price article that they signed, so I should not have assumed so, but they did tryout and that is the first step, plus it's a recognition of mutual interest.

Fair enough. There is interest.

Maybe we'll know more after June 1 about these three (and also about Keller and Bush).

If all these linebackers were signed, I would certainly agree that Belichick has seen the problem of backup linebacker and has addressed it. Belichick has added Hull, Fleming, the 3 UDFA's, and these 3 additional free agents. We already had Beauharnais, Chris White and Davis from last year.

I don't know from Chrisi Price article that they signed, so I should not have assumed so, but they did tryout and that is the first step, plus it's a recognition of mutual interest.

Fair enough. There is interest.

Maybe we'll know more after June 1 about these three (and also about Keller and Bush).

Speaking of Michael Bush, I expected us to have some interest in bigger, bruising RB Darryl Richardson who was cut by the Rams last week. I thought he'd have fit in nicely. He had a 4.8 ypc in his rookie year, than went down to 3.1 last year due to a toe injury that lingered throughout the season.

Unfortunately, Richardson had to clear waivers and our rival Jets picked him up instead. I do wonder if we may have been interested at all, or put in a waiver claim?

Anderson is the one that interest me, too. He's another tackling machine, has good durability (outside of some back issues 2 seasons ago that didn't reappear in 16 games last year, and has been effective in both zone and man coverage on TEs. I wonder whether he wants to sign to be the top backup on a team that has 2 LBs on the field as often as 3, but at this point in his career, if the Pats go beyond the vet minimum, he might sign for the chance to be on a winning team. If he signs for the vet minimum, he can do it elsewhere where incentives will be worth more, because he'll have the opportunity to earn more playing time. (I'd think that BB would give Collins and Hightower a chance to play and improve, even if Anderson were to look more solid in pre-season.)

None of the others - Beauharnais, the rookies, or Sylvester/Mitchell - have shown that they have anything to offer in coverage, such that right now, Hightower is our backup nickel backer. If we sign Anderson, I feel like we're in a decent position with Hull/White being a ST player who would pickup coverage responsibilities if the injury bug goes through the LB crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back