PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The problem with making a big splash in FA signing

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to consider here too is that we had the oldest defense in the NFL this year. So despite the offensive struggles, I wouldn't be surprised to see high draft picks spent on defensive players. That helps shore up that unit for the future, but doesn't depend on those players for significant contributions right away. FA would probably be better for the offense, as it would (theoretically), provide a faster improvement.

My understanding is that Humphries "committed" to the Titans during the legal tampering period and then the Patriots made a higher offer after he hade already told the Titans he was signing with them. Humphries considered it a matter of keeping his word and signed the Titan's offer. The part about thinking Brady is to old is likely spin.

Why Adam Humphries picked Titans over Patriots

How did that turn out for him? He looked mediocre out there.

I am not sure what his contract situation is but any chance we can bring back Amendola?

I think that ship has sailed although danny amendola will be always be a legend with the pats.

One thing to consider here too is that we had the oldest defense in the NFL this year. So despite the offensive struggles, I wouldn't be surprised to see high draft picks spent on defensive players. That helps shore up that unit for the future, but doesn't depend on those players for significant contributions right away. FA would probably be better for the offense, as it would (theoretically), provide a faster improvement.

I think that would have Brady's attention best way to go if you ask me.

I agree that FA is the best way to address offense. One caveat though...if a good QB prospect like Jordan Love is sitting there at 23 you would really think about pulling the trigger if you are BB.

How did that turn out for him? He looked mediocre out there.
He chose the Titans over the Pats so I don't really care how it works out for him. I expect, however, he is happy to still be in the playoffs.

He chose the Titans over the Pats so I don't really care how it works out for him. I expect, however, he is happy to still be in the playoffs.

Who cares. It’s not like he has been a factor. He’s riding the ****tails of his team but that might soon be over.

I agree that FA is the best way to address offense. One caveat though...if a good QB prospect like Jordan Love is sitting there at 23 you would really think about pulling the trigger if you are BB.

I don't know enough about the individual QB prospects to have an opinion on which one would be a "must pick" towards the end of the first round, but I agree in principle. If there's a guy they really like who they think is a potential franchise guy and he's within reach of their pick, they absolutely should pull the trigger.

It's unlikely that Stidham is the heir apparent, but obviously how they feel about him factors into that calculation as well.

If the Patriots could get a combo or a triplet of say a AJ Green - Emmanuel Sanders and a Randall Cobb in any order... Brady would be happy. Wildcard would be a Robby Anderson the pup of the bunch that would give us some weapons on Offense. The trio of Green - Sanders and Cobb have many miles on their tires and are in the twilight of their careers like Brady. I don't think any would break any banks at this point.

I would take any of those WR Cousin. 2020 might wind up being like the George Allen years when he based his whole Team on Vets with the Redskins. The "Over-the-Hill Gang"—the aging Redskin veterans who seemed to save their best efforts for the most important games. They were extremely competitive.

Let's face it. TB likes Veterans. Drafting WR has been ugly here. All those mentioned guys come with injury questions. If healthy they could comprise the best Team of WR in the League. Add Edelman who might be the elder here and you have four 30+ guys.

A different road?

TE was a missing element in 2019. It was a complete non-factor. I start the makeover (reload ) with Brady of course but now I am paying through the nose for a pair of 25 year old TE's in Henry and Hooper......whatever it takes say $10mm-$11mm per. The Pats are built for TE play.

We have $49mm now available and the 2020 salary is thought to be $201.2mm. If GM was my Title, I am moving on with some and reloading with others.

The shockers are trading Hightower who is a liability on the pass and player badly the last two games. His CAP costs are over $11mm. Did he play to that value? No....... Cannon who was awful this year at $9mm. Harmon at $5.5mm. Who pays a 3rd string S that kind of money? And if you can get something Chung is $6mm and hurt always. He could not cover this year at all.

Now I am moving on from JMAC, Brooks, LaCosse and King. So your total savings BETWEEN ALL are roughly $41.6mm. Our CAP space would be $90mm.

Is Gostkowski worth his salary at $5.2mm? Folk wasn't that bad. I am trading Sony Michel because you have Damien Harris. Think knees.......... Those two moves bring us $8mm

Now call it $98mm available ...........minus Rookie Draft class.

I am bringing back Thuney, Shelton, Collins, Butler and Karras. J.C. Jackson needs an extension and I'd have to resign Folk. So maybe $32mm roughly there. Perhaps Calhoun if we trade Hightower. Roberts might take a discount to stay.

That leaves $64mm;
My two brand new TE's cost $22mm.
I would look at Safety Juston Simmons (BC Kid) with 97 Tackles at 3 INTS. Maybe $9mm
I would look at RT Bulaga at $7mm
I would trade for John Ross on the Bengals who is cheap and 4.2 speed. He is an ascending player. He was available at one point. He is the player Dorsett was supposed to be. $5.4mm. As a backup, Rishard Higgins who is buried on the Browns.....$2.5mm.

That leaves $21mm +$6.7mm or roughly $28mm for Brady. I am sure that can be tweaked up.

I don't know if that works but it fits. Plus we add some Draft picks. Hightower and Michel are the best "chips".
Thoughts?
DW Toys

This am Zolak mentioned basically selling out the D and making Brady happy w more WEAPONZ. He said basically Krafty Bob would / could convince Brady to come back at a "workable #" (whatever that is) and promise Brady he'd have this guy, that guy, this guy around him on offense...BUT, since the club is spending lots of assetts (cap space/draft picks/trades) to surround Brady with WEAPONZ the defense would be average at best.... Zolak said he sees no other way Brady comes back

I would take any of those WR Cousin. 2020 might wind up being like the George Allen years when he based his whole Team on Vets with the Redskins. The "Over-the-Hill Gang"—the aging Redskin veterans who seemed to save their best efforts for the most important games. They were extremely competitive.

Let's face it. TB likes Veterans. Drafting WR has been ugly here. All those mentioned guys come with injury questions. If healthy they could comprise the best Team of WR in the League. Add Edelman who might be the elder here and you have four 30+ guys.

A different road?

TE was a missing element in 2019. It was a complete non-factor. I start the makeover (reload ) with Brady of course but now I am paying through the nose for a pair of 25 year old TE's in Henry and Hooper......whatever it takes say $10mm-$11mm per. The Pats are built for TE play.

We have $49mm now available and the 2020 salary is thought to be $201.2mm. If GM was my Title, I am moving on with some and reloading with others.

The shockers are trading Hightower who is a liability on the pass and player badly the last two games. His CAP costs are over $11mm. Did he play to that value? No....... Cannon who was awful this year at $9mm. Harmon at $5.5mm. Who pays a 3rd string S that kind of money? And if you can get something Chung is $6mm and hurt always. He could not cover this year at all.

Now I am moving on from JMAC, Brooks, LaCosse and King. So your total savings BETWEEN ALL are roughly $41.6mm. Our CAP space would be $90mm.

Is Gostkowski worth his salary at $5.2mm? Folk wasn't that bad. I am trading Sony Michel because you have Damien Harris. Think knees.......... Those two moves bring us $8mm

Now call it $98mm available ...........minus Rookie Draft class.

I am bringing back Thuney, Shelton, Collins, Butler and Karras. J.C. Jackson needs an extension and I'd have to resign Folk. So maybe $32mm roughly there. Perhaps Calhoun if we trade Hightower. Roberts might take a discount to stay.

That leaves $64mm;
My two brand new TE's cost $22mm.
I would look at Safety Juston Simmons (BC Kid) with 97 Tackles at 3 INTS. Maybe $9mm
I would look at RT Bulaga at $7mm
I would trade for John Ross on the Bengals who is cheap and 4.2 speed. He is an ascending player. He was available at one point. He is the player Dorsett was supposed to be. $5.4mm. As a backup, Rishard Higgins who is buried on the Browns.....$2.5mm.

That leaves $21mm +$6.7mm or roughly $28mm for Brady. I am sure that can be tweaked up.

I don't know if that works but it fits. Plus we add some Draft picks. Hightower and Michel are the best "chips".
Thoughts?
DW Toys

Cousins...Cannon restructured recently his cap number might be a bargain even though he played poorly. I think if Hightower doesn't restructure we will move on he didn't last year I think he should this year. You brought up a lot of cap flexibility options did you count Sanu?? Also we definitely need to upgrade Chung...Sony wouldn't fetch more than a Day 3 pick if that.:rolleyes: I know this is not popular but Stephon Gilmore would bring us a haul plus needed cap space.

This am Zolak mentioned basically selling out the D and making Brady happy w more WEAPONZ. He said basically Krafty Bob would / could convince Brady to come back at a "workable #" (whatever that is) and promise Brady he'd have this guy, that guy, this guy around him on offense...BUT, since the club is spending lots of assetts (cap space/draft picks/trades) to surround Brady with WEAPONZ the defense would be average at best.... Zolak said he sees no other way Brady comes back

Zolak is preaching to the Non Homer choir I agree no way Brady comes back to play with average Players on Offense at his age he can't overcome them.

I am probably wrong and will get corrected but have we in the past just been too tight with money when paying FA's..some good posts above re what could be done

I think Emmanuel Sanders and AJ Green would be Great pick ups for a Brady lead Team. AJ Green was shut down last year should be healthy by TC 2020.
Green hasn’t played barely at all in 2 years. Doubt he will be anywhere near what he was and doubt even more he can stay healthy. Stay away.

Zo
zolak is wrong. Brady wants to win, not put up pretty numbers and lose

Zolak is preaching to the Non Homer choir I agree no way Brady comes back to play with average Players on Offense at his age he can't overcome them.
Zolak is pretty dialed in with the team/front office

If by non homer choir you are talking about fans who care more about fun games and stats than winning then bingo.

Green hasn’t played barely at all in 2 years. Doubt he will be anywhere near what he was and doubt even more he can stay healthy. Stay away.

I'm a little torn if the Bungles Franchise AJ Green which would suck that should tell us.

It's a good point, Brady's age already scared off one high profile receiver, but I think many FA's will pick the team where the money and personal fit is right. Some folks will be scared off, others won't.
who was a high profile receiver? Adam Humphries LOL?

It isn't an either-or situation. They could make some significant free agent signings as well as gain solid assets in the draft.

A "significant" FA would have his pick of any team to sign with. Does he go with something unknown, or with a known quantity, such as a team with a QB who has his whole future in front of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back