PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats to meet with Wesley Woodyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. So we complain all season about how our linebackers are subpar in coverage, and then the offseason comes along and we lament our inability to "get a chubby" when they express interest in a coverage linebacker.

Makes total sense.

That was before we got Collins and knew he could be a good coverage LB. People were only complaining before that. Since he emerged we have been good there.

Woodyard, Mike Neal and Brandon Browner are all under the radar FA signings that wouldn't break the bank and which would add a lot of versatility and depth to the defense.

That was before we got Collins and knew he could be a good coverage LB. People were only complaining before that. Since he emerged we have been good there.

No, that's not true. Hightower isn't very good in coverage, and Mayo is only average.

Plus Woodyard, at his size, offers positional flexibility the others don't.

My point was this is day one of free agency and we have a ton of question marks at WR and CB (Edelman talib or replacements for them) tons of issues at DL and TE and we are working on a marginal LB replacement for Spikes. :eek: Sorry just not sexy enough for day one of FA.

:eek: Sorry just not sexy enough for day one of FA.

Yup, today is the day when championships are won or lost. :bricks:

No, that's not true. Hightower isn't very good in coverage, and Mayo is only average.

Plus Woodyard, at his size, offers positional flexibility the others don't.

I am not saying Woodyard would not help us there. However you only really need 1 coverage LB. The job of the LBs in a 4-2-5 is generally 1 for coverage and the other to hold their spot in the middle in case of a run or to prevent a RB dump off pass. I think Mayo could do that well enough.

I am not denying it help some but the upgrade would be rather modest in most situations IMO. Still if we can get him for a good price do it. I am not against this move.

We don't know anything about Collins. He spent most of the season on the bench and then had two good games. He could be a stud, he could be nothing. Signing a veteran linebacker who excels in space isn't a referendum on Collins.

how much was his previous contract? anyone know?

We don't know anything about Collins. He spent most of the season on the bench and then had two good games. He could be a stud, he could be nothing. Signing a veteran linebacker who excels in space isn't a referendum on Collins.

We do know he has the skill set to be a beast in the NFL as seen in those two games...but can he do it every game? Lets hope so

For what it's worth, here are the details from Woodyard's last contract (his first after his rookie contract), in 2012.

Length: two years
Total: $5,000,000
Guaranteed: $2,000,000
Signing Bonus: $500,000
2012 Base Salary: $1,500,000
2013 Base Salary: $3,000,000
Average Cap Figure: $2,5000,000

He had more than two good games. He was a factor down the stretch of the regular season.

Thant said, we don't have a large sample size on him.

For what it's worth, here are the details from Woodyard's last contract (his first after his rookie contract), in 2012.

Length: two years
Total: $5,000,000
Guaranteed: $2,000,000
Signing Bonus: $500,000
2012 Base Salary: $1,500,000
2013 Base Salary: $3,000,000
Average Cap Figure: $2,5000,000

I'd take that deal. He would improve our D enough to justify it IMO.

Hopefully the ground round has tables.

My point was this is day one of free agency and we have a ton of question marks at WR and CB (Edelman talib or replacements for them) tons of issues at DL and TE and we are working on a marginal LB replacement for Spikes. :eek: Sorry just not sexy enough for day one of FA.

"not sexy enough for day one of FA"????????

Hey, another Redskins fan? :D

Last edited:
He is meeting with Tenn after the pats. So we will have to see how that meeting goes. Sounds like he may take his time

I'm not yet sold on Woodyard to Pats. As has been mentioned, while he would be a nice Spikes
replacement, I'm not sure that this is the position on which I would first concentrate my available
spending cash.

Hmm, he definitely would not be a Spikes replacement imo. Spikes was a leadfoot. Woodyard could be the next Phifer for us if he returns to form. He was misused by Denver as an MLB when he should be on the outside, making plays in space and occasionally rushing the QB.

In 2012, Woodyard amassed 3 INTs, 5.5 QB sacks, and 70 tackles. That's the kind of guy I'm hoping we're getting if we sign him.
Wesley Woodyard NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I hope this is a sign that the days of the 260 lbs LB who can't run are over! Someone must have finally told BB that the Bus retired!

Question....
Assuming Mayo, Hightower and Collins are the base LB corp.....Does Mayo move into the middle or is Hightower just not mobile enough as an OLB?

Question....

Assuming Mayo, Hightower and Collins are the base LB corp.....Does Mayo move into the middle or is Hightower just not mobile enough as an OLB?

3-4

Collins - mayo - Hightower - FA/Nink

4-3

Collins - Hightower - Mayo

Mayo is capable of playing any position really. Hightower is the new permanent MLB.

Belichick would be smart not to let him leave Foxboro without a deal.

I'd also imagine McDaniels will be present at the visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe