PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats NEED to start O'Connell next week...Cassel just cant cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope if Cassel starts we lose so O'Connell can get in there by the Rams game.

If we lose to Denver and Cassel looks bad, you definitely start O'Connell the next week. At that point the entire season would be in jeopardy. This team is already showing signs of quitting. Seeing if O'Connell could provide a spark to the team would be a low risk/high reward move.

If we lose to Denver and Cassel looks bad, you definitely start O'Connell the next week. At that point the entire season would be in jeopardy. This team is already showing signs of quitting. Seeing if O'Connell could provide a spark to the team would be a low risk/high reward move.

Look. Denver right now is a hell of alot better than the pats. Cassel is going to SUCK once again and will lose...why not put O'Connell in? Are they afraid they might lose by more than 20 points?

Look. Denver right now is a hell of alot better than the pats. Cassel is going to SUCK once again and will lose...why not put O'Connell in? Are they afraid they might lose by more than 20 points?

I'll type S L O W L Y for the learning unabled here.

BB does not want to expose O'C to situations beyond his capabilities early in his career because he will learn bad habits runing around out of control making Vick like plays. BB wants O'C to be ready to contend for #2 next year. BB does NOT want a scrambling style O. Success is built upon reading Ds, checking thru options and making smart decisions and executing. Cassel is the best available stopgap until Brady is back or Matt is carried off the field because of poor OL play.

O'C is a high risk negative reward play at this time.

Brady himself said that HE was in no way ready to play in the NFL his 1st season.

Last edited:

But wait. Who was it that the Chiefs beat? Didnt a certain team beat the chiefs? Lets face it, this kind of logic means nothing. You people need to get a grip.

I wonder what happens when o connell is bad too.

if someone needs to take a shot it should be matt g. he has been in the system for 2 yrs and then again o connell and matt g could not even beat cassell in pratice so i wonder how they will play,

I was in the "Cassel needs more time, he is improving, the rest of the team isn't playing that well either" camp until the goal line series at the beginning of the third quarter last night. On one play he had Sammy Morris totally open for an easy TD pass, and he chucked it at his feet. After the play you can see Morris standing there staring at Cassel as if to say "are you serious?" Then on fourth down, do or die, instead of scrambling for just a second to buy some time he runs straight into the San Diego defensive line, like he was going to somehow push his way in from the 5. Not only did he miss the WIDE open Ben Watson, he didn't even have the presence of mind to float a ball up to give one of his guys a chance to fight for it.

I don't know how you can have confidence in a guy after a set of downs like that.

How are we supposed to show confidence in a guy that has no confidence in his O-Line? Cassel looked like he got hammered enough back there last night that, even when the pressure was off, he felt like the pressure was on and was running for his life. He did make some terrible decisions and throws (the two that you mention and the one where he completely missed a WIDE OPEN Randy Moss in the end zone) but there is plenty of blame to go around. Putting the blame squarely on Cassel's shoulders is idiotic.

Last edited:
How are we supposed to show confidence in a guy that has no confidence in his O-Line? Cassel looked like he got hammered enough back there last night that, even when the pressure was off, he felt like the pressure was on and was running for his life. He did make some terrible decisions and throws (the two that you mention and the one where he completely missed a WIDE OPEN Randy Moss in the end zone) but there is plenty of blame to go around. Putting the blame squarely on Cassel's shoulders is idiotic.

exactly. our oline is playing like they have brady back there. a standard good offensive line should give you decent protection.when cassel is a drop off from brady then other areas like the o line need to pick up.
but i still dont know how brady used to have 8-9 secs sometimes standing back there.
i think its also the lack of fear of cassel that there is more pressure upfront. brady could burn the blitz or quickly unload to the open guy and teams are looking to see if cassel can do the same.

I'm not trying to put blame solely on Cassel and I don't think many people here are, just like very few people would put the blame solely on the offensive line. The problem is that even when the O line does a good job and gives Cassel time to make a throw he looks spooked and blows easy plays like the ones I posted about before.

To make things worse he consistently holds the ball for too long, which makes the O line's play look worse than it is. It is clearly a situation where both parties need each other to play well, and I would argue that Cassel is more of the problem than the O line.

People might say that the O line is not doing enough to help the run game as a sign that they are struggling, but they were battling against a defense that was playing to stop the run all night. This is the right thing to do for any defense that wants to stop us, play the run and the short pass as Cassel has not shown the ability to consistently make any throws longer than 10 yards. If I am an opposing team I look at how he repeatedly does not see open receivers, and how he made poor throws to Moss when he was open deep as a sign that he is a weak link and should be forced to win the game.

I also don't think anyone is looking past the fact that there are some serious issues with our defense, as we cannot get any pressure on the QB and do not seem to be able to stop the passing game. I think this was the second or third game that I heard the announcers say that they were impressed with the opposing teams offensive line, as they thought they may be suspect but held up well against our front seven. I think we really missed Jarvis Green after he went down last night, as he is our best pass rusher. While the big three of Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren are beasts when it comes to pushing the pocket and collapsing running lanes, they combined with our linebackers have not been able to get to the quarterback. I don't know what the answer is, maybe Crable can bring some speed as a pass rusher but I think the problems may be more serious than that. If we had the dominating defense we used to then the offense would not be such a big deal, but right now neither side is playing very well, and BB and his staff have their work cut out for them when it comes to fixing it.

I'll type S L O W L Y for the learning unabled here.

BB does not want to expose O'C to situations beyond his capabilities early in his career because he will learn bad habits runing around out of control making Vick like plays. BB wants O'C to be ready to contend for #2 next year. BB does NOT want a scrambling style O. Success is built upon reading Ds, checking thru options and making smart decisions and executing. Cassel is the best available stopgap until Brady is back or Matt is carried off the field because of poor OL play.

O'C is a high risk negative reward play at this time.

Brady himself said that HE was in no way ready to play in the NFL his 1st season.

I agree with your post for the most part, but you make it sound like the ability or tendency to run/scramble disqualifies you from lining up under center for the Pats at this point. Putting O'Connel in doesn't mean BB has to scrap his offensive philosophy and start calling quarterback draws all the time. And Cassel's not making a lot of good reads as it is.

Putting Patriot Reign aside, if the o-line can't pass protect and the running game isn't there, a QB who is as spooked in the pocket as Cassel is going to fail more often than not.

As for risk part, unfortunately we already crossed into high risk territory several weeks ago.

Finally 2 good points on this page:

1) O'Connell is young and you have to make sure he's ready.
2) Blaming Cassel neglects all of the other failures - but it's a team game.

Maybe we should blame Cassel for the SB loss, too.

exactly. our oline is playing like they have brady back there. a standard good offensive line should give you decent protection.when cassel is a drop off from brady then other areas like the o line need to pick up.
but i still dont know how brady used to have 8-9 secs sometimes standing back there.
i think its also the lack of fear of cassel that there is more pressure upfront. brady could burn the blitz or quickly unload to the open guy and teams are looking to see if cassel can do the same.

The Dolphins said they only blitzed 3-4 times all game. Despite what a lot of armchair coaches here have been saying (and you know that I don't mean you), the biggest problem has not been Cassel's on-field performance. The Patriots have been unable to run the ball as well, after all. The biggest problem this team is having is the inability of the offensive line to get the job done.

Now, the question of how much the team (and the O-line in particulary) is being mentally affected by not having Brady back there is something that can only be guessed at, so I won't bother trying to analyze it. However, there's no question in my mind that the line is not playing nearly as well as it did last season, either physically or mentally, and it's destroying this team offensively.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes