PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats NEED to start O'Connell next week...Cassel just cant cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.
LMAO are you serious. Matt Cassel has won against 2 out of the3 wins were very bad football teams.

If you think this team is beating Denver/Ind/Buff with Cassel your living in a fantasy world.

5-11

your prediction is probably true IF
1. if these teams can bring the kind of pressure SD did
2. BB and staff can't find a way to give Cassel more time
3. Cassel doesn't improve under pressure

Since you have NO idea if any of these things will happen you are
predicting based on the status quo being maintained.
You may turn out to be right ... but you don't know.

Don't forget ... after the Denver game, PATs may get back Neal and Ross.
Did you figure that into you prediction?

Can I ask you a question? How exactly do you know what Matt's reads are and the progressions? How do you know what he is looking at and what he is reading? How the hell can you claim to know for a fact he is throwing to his first read all the time, and only his first read?

Are you really this naive? Watch the games, watch Cassel. The problem with Cassel is that he can't see the guys down field cause hes only looking at his first read.

Ok let's just get back to the questions, since you clearly missed them.

I was in the "Cassel needs more time, he is improving, the rest of the team isn't playing that well either" camp until the goal line series at the beginning of the third quarter last night. On one play he had Sammy Morris totally open for an easy TD pass, and he chucked it at his feet. After the play you can see Morris standing there staring at Cassel as if to say "are you serious?" Then on fourth down, do or die, instead of scrambling for just a second to buy some time he runs straight into the San Diego defensive line, like he was going to somehow push his way in from the 5. Not only did he miss the WIDE open Ben Watson, he didn't even have the presence of mind to float a ball up to give one of his guys a chance to fight for it.

I don't know how you can have confidence in a guy after a set of downs like that.

Cassel absolutely stood in the pocket waaaaaay too long last night. I kept counting one-two-three-and the ball was still in his hands. Now granted that the Pats have been going with max protection so the TE are not in the pattern, but at least throw a few quick slants or something. Cassel is clearly not the answer, and with him bing an UFA next year, I think that it is only a matter of time, until BB sees what O'Connell is all about.
We already know that O'Connell can't run the system based on he couldn't even manage that against fourth stringers in pre season. could he make some plays against them? Absolutely. But they're mostly home watching games on their couches now and seat of the pants college QB'ing doesn't win in this league and it's the anthesis of what BB wants to coach O'Connell to do going forward.

And Cassel's being a UFA doesn't enter the equation as long as he is here now. Brady will be back in 2009...

The decisions Bill has made to date lead me to conclude that he believes the system is the one thing that can save a team battling adversity. But the system only works when sound game plans put players in winnable positions and players then consistently execute. We missed out all around last night.

Granted he is facing pressure at times, but in many cases Cassel is holding the ball way too long.

Since you have NO idea if any of these things will happen you are
predicting based on the status quo being maintained.
You may turn out to be right ... but you don't know.

Don't forget ... after the Denver game, PATs may get back Neal and Ross.
Did you figure that into you prediction?

You are right predictions is all we have, but seeing Cassel for 4 pre-season games and 5 reg season games.. I have seen enough THIS TEAM IS NOT RESPONDING TO HIM! If you can't see it then you have blinders on.

Are you really this naive? Watch the games, watch Cassel. The problem with Cassel is that he can't see the guys down field cause hes only looking at his first read.

Naive has nothing to do with it. He asked you a question, and all you can come up with is "Cassel is the problem". How about giving us some real facts to back up your clueless claim. Cassel doesnt always throw to his first read. If need be, I'll email you the damn film for proof. You f'n Cassel haters need to pay attention to the whole game. It takes 11 guys to execute a play. Not just ONE. This whole crap has gotten out of hand. I'm not even a fan of Cassel, but I'm not stupid enough to blame everything on him. :mad:

It confuses me how so many people can call themselves 'football fans' , yet they don't know anything about football!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Ok let's just get back to the questions, since you clearly missed them.

Its obvious. How many times have you seen Cassel throw down the field to someone not named Moss for 10+? He is averaging 6.4 yards a play he is not checking down recievers or Te's. If he was he would have alot more 10 yard completions than what he has.

Its hard to explain but watch the replay of last nights game and watch Cassel and were he throws and were his head is turned.

I am no football coach but I know that you can't see the whole field without turning your head and Cassel doesn't do that unless he has eyes on the side of his head were his ears are supposed to be.

Why is this even an issue? If Cassel were to get 3 more years of intense on the job training and one on one daily coaching from Tom Brady himself he could perhaps dramatically upgrade himself into being horrible starting QB. Right now he is far worse.

Naive has nothing to do with it. He asked you a question, and all you can come up with is "Cassel is the problem". How about giving us some real facts to back up your clueless claim. Cassel doesnt always throw to his first read. If need be, I'll email you the damn film for proof. You f'n Cassel haters need to pay attention to the whole game. It takes 11 guys to execute a play. Not just ONE. This whole crap has gotten out of hand. I'm not even a fan of Cassel, but I'm not stupid enough to blame everything on him. :mad:

It confuses me how so many people can call themselves 'football fans' , yet they don't know anything about football!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

No the blame doesn't come solely on Cassel and I never said it did, but its pretty obvious this offensive has no confidence in Cassel.

I would love for you to show the films.

as far as I know this is a board of opinions and we are all entitled to them, if you don't like my opinion then don't comment and don't post.

You are just another ignorant person, who thinks they know the world around there computer screens.

IDIOT!

Its obvious. How many times have you seen Cassel throw down the field to someone not named Moss for 10+? He is averaging 6.4 yards a play he is not checking down recievers or Te's. If he was he would have alot more 10 yard completions than what he has.

Its hard to explain but watch the replay of last nights game and watch Cassel and were he throws and were his head is turned.

I am no football coach but I know that you can't see the whole field without turning your head and Cassel doesn't do that unless he has eyes on the side of his head were his ears are supposed to be.

Hmm so Brady consistently turns his head back and forth? Where does reading the defense come into play? What about reading alignments, first steps from the defense after the snap etc..? Are the eyes fixed, or what degree of vision can a QB see without moving his head?

Obviously Cassel still has work to do, but he has shown good improvements since game 1. It's also difficult to survey the entire field with the defense in your face after 1 second. You are trying to oversimplify Cassel's job as well as the QB position in general. I have seen improvements in Matt Cassel over the last 5 weeks, and hope that continues, as well as the o-line.

No the blame doesn't come solely on Cassel and I never said it did, but its pretty obvious this offensive has no confidence in Cassel.

as far as I know this is a board of opinions and we are all entitled to them, if you don't like my opinion then don't comment and don't post.

You are just another ignorant person, who thinks they know the world around there computer screens.

IDIOT!

This post is funny on so many levels, but sticking with the discussion, is it really obvious the offensive has no confidence in Cassel? You are now a psychologist too, cool.

If you watch Cassell play, after the snap, the vast majority of the time he is focused on one side of the field and throwing the ball to that side. He doesn't scan the field like a decent NFL QB should.

That's why he misses many opportunities to hit open receivers on the side he's not focusing on.

Cassell is a 1-2 read QB with no pocket presence, and subpar accuracy.

Cassell would be a great QB at USC if he was still in college...but as a pro...he's a 3rd stringer caliber talent at best.

I'm strongly opposed to starting O'Connell until he's ready. You could ruin the kid by doing that. Look at Crable and Wheatley. The Pats are very smart about playing young players when they are ready, but not before, and they evaluate each player separately.

If O'Connell were better than Cassel right now, confident enough, and with a strong enough ego, he'd be the starter.

IDIOT!

I'm an idiot? You're saying it's OBVIOUS that this offense has no confidence in Cassel? How do you know that? And I wasnt just commenting about your comment. If you could read, you would've understood that. I clearly said 'CASSEL HATERS' , yes, that's plural.

So i'm ignorant? I guess you know me as well as you know Cassel, and BB. :rolleyes:

btw, I think you meant to spell 'there' , their. Being that i'm ignorant I thought i'd point that out.:rolleyes:

What are the chances O'Connell starts next week?

I'm strongly opposed to starting O'Connell until he's ready. You could ruin the kid by doing that. Look at Crable and Wheatley. The Pats are very smart about playing young players when they are ready, but not before, and they evaluate each player separately.

If O'Connell were better than Cassel right now, confident enough, and with a strong enough ego, he'd be the starter.

This on target observation falls on deaf ears. The fan base wants Michael Vick style run around and 'make plays' video game style excitement. Newsflash - you have the wrong HC and team management for that style of loser football.

BB is grooming O'C to be at minimum a reliable #2 to Tom Brady. Inculcating bad early career habits formed as inept protection disintegrates will not help in this goal. If O'C develops quickly and if the Pats are eliminated from playoff contention early, he'll see some decent PT at year's end. A debilitating injury to Cassel in the next couple games would NOT be good for O'C's development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes