PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats NEED to start O'Connell next week...Cassel just cant cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you're saying that Belichick sucks. Because its NOT the QB. BB is the leader. He is the HC.

So, thank you for your opinion. Its got no basis in reality, but thank you for it.

Sorry, but when the opposing D-line is standing next to you before you finish your drop, there is no getting it out quicker. This is what you don't understand.

And, a BACK-UP QB runs the plays that are called to him. Or he audibles off based on what he sees. But, again, if the players aren't open in those 2-3 seconds, it won't matter because there is no way to make the play.

The O-Line just needs to make sure they aren't badly beat and leave room in the pocket to move. They weren't letting people through untouched on every play. San Diego didn't win that game because of the pressure they were getting on Cassel... I think you're off on the offensive line rant here.

An offensive line collapse would be like what happened in the super bowl. Cassel had time to sit and read and move around the pocket most of the time.

Any way you look at it... Cassel is playing his position poorly. You can tell me he's inexperienced we're asking too much of him, but don't tell me he's not doing anything wrong.

Chargers safety Clinton Hart said. "He held the ball a lot more than Brady would've. That's inexperience.

Enter the homer. If they think you say anything they percieve to be negative about Cassel, you don't watch NFL football.

The answer to your yes, virtually every game on Sunday Ticket every week the Pats are on the road. There is a lot of horrendous QB play every week, it normally far exceeds the good play. What does that he might be better than Don Orlovsky have to do with anything? I'm not sure. I'm more concerned with whether he is playing well or not - and so far it has been as I said, a mixed bag.

You got it. Your stating the obvious and the argument is turned into what would you do, what do you know, crappy is relative, blah, blah, blah. This season is about to go up in flames. Do you realize that 1000 Patriots fans will be dead before Brady returns. Cassel needs to improve NOW or they need to look elsewhere very soon.

Its pathetic that you still blame Cassel for everything wrong with the Patriots and can't be bothered to look beyond the end of your nose.

1) The O-line play has been horrible. How Koppen got blown up the way he did against Jammal Williams is beyond me.

2) The D-line has been inconsistent.

3) We all heard about how Dom Capers was supposed to help the CBs be better in one on one coverage. Yet, they've actually looked worse, IMHO. Deltha O'Neal had ONE good play this year and has been junk since then.

4) Is Cassel perfect? Nope. He's the back-up QB. But he's also directly affected by the play of the O-line. If they can't keep do their job, then it wouldn't matter if it was Cassel or Brady there. Well, I take that back. If it was Brady, people like yourself would actually realize that the O-line is the issue.

All true, but I can't help but notice that football is a game of passion and momentum shifts. Cassel not getting it in from the one crushed momentum (and he looks clueless/panicked way too many times). He does not inspire confidence.

Might as well bench McDaniels too, he's calling a pretty sh!tty game too.

The problem with Cassel throwing on first down from the SD 1 1/2 yard line line is that it appears that Mcdaniels etc. were hoping to get him a gift TD pass, while at the same time putting the team's comeback chances in harm's way with the shaky QB now being put in position to fail, as opposed to managing the game.

"I doubt BB thinks Cassell is very good - he likely thinks he is just better then O'Connell at this point. "

Then why the f**k didn't he bring in a veteran QB to back up brady in case the worst case scenario happened?

Who was available? Chris Simms? Jeff Garcia wasn't as he was still the starter in TB.

If you know that ONE man is that valuable to the ENTIRE operation/performance of your team..........you'd damn well better prepare some kind of backup plan so that this disaster is avoided. Listen, no one is ever going to replace Brady on this team.....but a vet that could come in and at least keep the team focused and competitive and move the chains.....is what is needed......I think if they could bring in a vet and provide a much needed SPARK to the entire team.....This team is NOT getting into the playoffs with the play of the QB, OL and Defense at this point....so maybe BB is aware that there are too many holes to fill and is just going to put it in cruise and start rebuilding......I expect ALOT of tickets to pop up on ebay if that becomes obvious.......

If you think that BB and Pioli didn't have a back-up plan (Cassel), then I don't know what to say. And, I'm sorry, NO veteran is going to come in and give the spark that you mention unless that person has been in the Pats system already. And, only Vinny T or Damon Huard could do that for the Pats. And, well, Vinny is retired and said he's going to stay that way and Huard hasn't been available.

We do agree that this team isn't going to the play-offs the way that they have been playing. But its starts at the lines. Both the offensive and defensive lines have to step up their game. Once they have, then lets see what else ensues.

"were also sure that Cassel was going to get cut in training camp. "

I think it is pretty obvious now that he SHOULD have been cut.......don't you think?
No, not really. I see improvement, I'd be happier if I was seeing a similar improvement in the team across the board.

It's clear this defense isn't anywhere nearly as capable of playing from behind as we need with an inexperienced QB going through growing pains. The front 7 and the secondary are not in-sync allowing opposing offenses to exploit the weaknesses. Heck, the linebackers and D-line aren't in-sync. Phillips Rivers has a tendency to come unglued against pressure much quicker then his peers playing in the second tier below Brady and Peyton, yet in the 2/3's of the game I saw, it appeared that Rivers was rocking on his front porch for all the pressure he saw.

Special Teams last night was not so special. Sproles did some damage, having Slater return KOs had them looking average.

On Offense I saw few running lanes develop, and the center of the O-line appeared rather porous. When I did see a shot of the receivers they all looked to be wearing powder blue blankets. Jammer owned Moss, underthrown balls or not, a CB that Reche Caldwell can beat shouldn't have made Moss look so pedestrian. I know Maroney is only popular here as a whipping boy, but I saw a game that could have used him.

When I watch Cassel I see improvement, when I look at the rest of the team, it's not as evident.

All true, but I can't help but notice that football is a game of passion and momentum shifts. Cassel not getting it in from the one crushed momentum (and he looks clueless/panicked way too many times). He does not inspire confidence.

What about the other 2 plays from the one where the Pats failed to get it in? What I saw was an O-line that was handedly beaten and the Pats could have had Jim Brown or Barry Sanders and NOT scored from the 1.

How can Cassel inspire confidence when the O-line isn't doing its job? Seriously. I've not seen consistent play from the O-line at all this year. A QB's confidence and his ability to inspire confidence can be easily shaken when he's taking 3-5 sacks a game because the O-line can't block consistently. Just like a RBs confidence can be shaken when the O-line isn't effectively blocking for them.

Sorry bub, but a game is won and lost by its leader, and in the case of football its the qb. Even if the O line is playing bad, a good qb finds away to get a ball out quicker. Ok, I will correct my self, Cassel is 99% of the reason why the pats lost, the other 1% is becaues half the team is injured.

Well I think that it is obvious that this is VERY true.....Look at this team SINCE Brady went down.......they are a SHELL of their former selves.....Brady WAS and STILL IS the leader of this team.......Now, no one has stepped up to lead this team....certainly not Matt Cassel.....and the team has NO confidence in him or themselves with him at the helm......So unless they make some kind of change....or someone else takes over as the "leader" of this team.....get used to more of the type of beating you witnessed this "team" take yesterday......

i mean...seems like they were able to open it up a bit in the spread to start the 2nd half

just trying to reach 30....so i can strt my first thread

Man, 2 wrongs in a row. They sure did pin in on Moss, and they are wrong in all aspects of this argument. Personally I dont care if they have been members since 1990, and the other guy just joined. In my opinion, he is right, and MO and his buddy, (and you) in fact are wrong. So there ya have it. Go cry now.

I agree with you.....doesn't matter if the poster is new here or is a high and mighty VIP member.....As long as they are making rational opinions and good points......could care less.......unfortuneatly it comes down to whether your a realist or an idealist.....there are a TON of both on here......I find the rose colored glass wearing homers the toughest to deal with.....because they are unable to see any faults/weaknesses in the team.....or the coaches.......

ok...my last post before i can start threads......wooohoo

The O-Line just needs to make sure they aren't badly beat and leave room in the pocket to move. They weren't letting people through untouched on every play. San Diego didn't win that game because of the pressure they were getting on Cassel... I think you're off on the offensive line rant here.

An offensive line collapse would be like what happened in the super bowl. Cassel had time to sit and read and move around the pocket most of the time.

Any way you look at it... Cassel is playing his position poorly. You can tell me he's inexperienced we're asking too much of him, but don't tell me he's not doing anything wrong.

Sorry, but when the O-line lets up 4 sacks, there is an issue. When the O-line allows Jammal Williams to be next to the RB and blow a play up because he just over-powered the center as if he asn't there, then the O-line is the issue.

BTW, please read my posts thoroughly. I've stated that Cassel has issues. But they are exacerbated by crappy O-line play. And if you think that the O-line is playing consistently, you aren't watching the same Patriots team.

The games are won and lost in the trenches. The Pats O-line and D-lines have been sub-par.

How can Cassel inspire confidence when the O-line isn't doing its job? Seriously. I've not seen consistent play from the O-line at all this year.

What the F is wrong with the O-line. I know Neal is missed but why are they playing so bad?

You got it. Your stating the obvious and the argument is turned into what would you do, what do you know, crappy is relative, blah, blah, blah. This season is about to go up in flames. Do you realize that 1000 Patriots fans will be dead before Brady returns. Cassel needs to improve NOW or they need to look elsewhere very soon.

Do I get to pick which 1000? Please!

No. Its not "pretty obvious." Unless you are saying that they should have cut Light, Koppen, Mankins, Kaczur, and Moss as well. Oh, and Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Hobbs, Harrison, Sanders, Meriweather, and Bruschi as well.

Seriously. If you honestly think that Brady would be doing any better when the center is ending up at the QB's feet during a shotgun snap because the NT has driven him back that far, then you just don't have an understanding of the game.

No....what I am saying is this ENTIRE team's "mojo"....confidence.....whatever you want to call it....is GONE......I don't think you realize the importance and magnitude of Brady's effect on this team.....None of these guys BELIEVE in Matt Cassel......and there is NO ONE stepping up to take over as the leader of this team.......Yes, they ALL sucked yesterday......from Cassel to the ball boy......I get that.......But I just think that unless the entire team has confidence that the guy under center can get some damned points on the board,..it effects all facets of the team.......Cassel is NOT going to get it done.....the D is going to be on the field all day trying to stop the bleeding......Morale goes down,....lower and lower........bad cycle.....get it????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes