PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats NEED to start O'Connell next week...Cassel just cant cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the right time to put O'Connell in there is and I'll leave that up to BB but I now know that Cassel doesn't have "it," as Eddie Andelman used to say about Drew. Brady has "it." Even early on in his career you could tell that Tom is a winner and a leader who always competes, someone with whom the team identifies with and gets behind. Cassel doesn't have that competitiveness that Brady displayed from early on and I know it's tough following a sure fire hall of famer like Tom but let's see some fire kid!! Brady's competitiveness is legendary, I've read about him throwing pool sticks and sending backgammon sets flying threw the locker room when losing to teammates. That quality is #1 in my book for any QB/leader to possess because it sets the tone for the rest of the players that losing is unacceptable.

In all honesty Cassel has nothing to lose but he is playing like he has everything to lose, and he surely lacks the insticts for the position from what I've seen thus far. He seems to leave the pocket too early when he has time and there are open receivers to throw to and to stay in the pocket and get sacked when he should be stepping up or sideways, dumping it off or taking off.

I'm under no illusions that Cassel will even come close to what Brady did in his first year after taking over for Drew, like leading the Pats to wins in 14 of 17 games, including the SB, but I would like to see a him compete on a high level and get better from one game to the next along with making it tough for opponents to beat you by making few negative plays like int's and sacks. In the NFL most games are lost and that's what were doing right now, making too many mistakes and allowing teams to beat us.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but in my opinion Denver is the perfect team to start a rookie QB against...the Broncos haven't consistently gotten pressure on the QB, (Although when they do, it's been overwhelming), and their pass defense is below average.

As a Broncos fan I'd be thrilled to see a rookie QB start against us, but from your angle it makes complete sense to start O'Connell here if you are planning to at all this season.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but in my opinion Denver is the perfect team to start a rookie QB against...the Broncos haven't consistently gotten pressure on the QB, (Although when they do, it's been overwhelming), and their pass defense is below average.

As a Broncos fan I'd be thrilled to see a rookie QB start against us, but from your angle it makes complete sense to start O'Connell here if you are planning to at all this season.

Watch, Cassel will be in there and same thing happen. Then lets hear what these guys have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes