PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats need a new direction on draft/FA signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Pats need a Professional GM with total autonomy.

I don't know how would they work this out, but I think BB should stay only on coaching duty. Obviously he can have a say here and there, but the Pats needs to reevaluate all ther scouting and draft process. The results aren't good enough. Our best WR is a 7th rounder QB converted to WR. When they don't get lucky to have Gronks or Hernandez slid to them, they don't do well enough.

You can't make this stuff, why did they spent high draft picks in a RB and a CB who never saw the field, when last February, in the SB was pretty clear this offense was flawed. They only had Edelman back then at WR, one year has passed and didn't change. No Gronk? Ok let's not worry about even try to draft a TE in the higher rounds.

Im not pulling that BS card BB the GM is killing BB the coach. It's just business, the drafts haven't been good, the FA signings pretty questionable and there's a need for acountability. You have a 42 years old playing with a bunch of homeless, give me a break, they should do better than that.

We're all frustrated and upset man. Get some sleep and re-think this post. 20 years of greatness and the most dominant period in NFL history. You don't throw that away because of one year with a wildcard loss in the playoffs.

Emotions running high, look at it from a different perspective. This is like the first time since 2010 that they are going to have time to plan for the draft, it has been AFC championship or Super Bowl since. That sets you back. You send people to go to Georgia and they come back and tell you that Sony is better than Nick. WTF? There are quick and shifty WRs and your scouts grades Harry so high that that is who you take. Another WTF.
I know I ranted a bit but I also think they will fare well with the little break they are getting in a long time.

How bout actually drafting guys that can contribute their rookie years and not redshirting / put on IR half your picks every season?

We're all frustrated and upset man. Get some sleep and re-think this post. 20 years of greatness and the most dominant period in NFL history. You don't throw that away because of one year with a wildcard loss in the playoffs.

My comments are not based on this season's outcome only. The drafting process haven't been good for a while. All this Patriots type players BS, sometimes passing on better talent. I don't know.

My comments are not based on this season's outcome only. The drafting process haven't been good for a while. All this Patriots type players BS, sometimes passing on better talent. I don't know.
This comment is disingenuous. You know it. We know it. So you waited until today and after this game to start this thread?

I think the OP needs to 'reflect' on BB accomplishments as the GM and tell me 'who' would be better? From 2010 to 2108 8 straight AFC championship games, and 5 SB, winning 3, while nearly completely turning over the roster.

If you are talking about a complete tear down, and rebuild, I am not sure BB wants any part of that. He will retool this team, and they will be in the playoffs again next year, of that I have nearly no doubt.

I know, they really need to start drafting some guys with elite athleticism, the team is just slow and not explosive on both sides of the ball.

How bout actually drafting guys that can contribute their rookie years and not redshirting / put on IR half your picks every season?

Drafting for the present and future is a big reason why they’ve been successful for so long. Always thinking ahead.

I don't know how would they work this out, but I think BB should stay only on coaching duty. Obviously he can have a say here and there, but the Pats needs to reevaluate all ther scouting and draft process. The results aren't good enough. Our best WR is a 7th rounder QB converted to WR. When they don't get lucky to have Gronks or Hernandez slid to them, they don't do well enough.

You can't make this stuff, why did they spent high draft picks in a RB and a CB who never saw the field, when last February, in the SB was pretty clear this offense was flawed. They only had Edelman back then at WR, one year has passed and didn't change. No Gronk? Ok let's not worry about even try to draft a TE in the higher rounds.

Im not pulling that BS card BB the GM is killing BB the coach. It's just business, the drafts haven't been good, the FA signings pretty questionable and there's a need for acountability. You have a 42 years old playing with a bunch of homeless, give me a break, they should do better than that.
They went to 8 straight afccg. They went to 4 of the last 5 sbs and won 3 of them.
This year they won the division went 12-4 and lost a close playoff game.
If you think that signals the need for a “a new direction” you are an idiot.

Do me a favor and go look up the draft results of teams that have to draft in the 20-32 range, year after year, after year (especially in the free agency era). It sucks. Bill Polian is one of the very few to make the HOF for being a GM. Go look how badly their drafts fell off a cliff once the Colts became a consecutive a 12 game winner per year. Then go compare it to Belichick's. It is impossible to hit on drafts picks to the same percentage & degree as you did when you were still building. Yeah, you'll find busts, but even the "good" picks were far less impactful than the ones in the tens & teens.

Not enough? Go look Pittsburgh & Baltimore (the two other best franchises in the draft over the past 2 decades) and see the difference between years were they were late in the draft and when they missed the payoffs and got a high draft pick; again, over a long period of time the difference is noticeable. And again, those teams had it much easier in the draft than NE or Indy because they could only maintain a playoff birth no more than 2 to 3 years in a row.

Last edited:
Sanu trade was an absolute disaster.

Then you are an idiot. The best results EVER lead you to say they need to change their plan? Really?

They went to 8 straight afccg. They went to 4 of the last 5 sbs and won 3 of them.
This year they won the division went 12-4 and lost a close playoff game.
If you think that signals the need for a “a new direction” you are an idiot.

Yeah yeah yeah, 6 SBs , multiple AFCCG, very nice. I appreciate all of that, not taking anything for granted but, as they say, Past performance is no guarantee of future result. In my opinion is totally legit to make these questions, the drafts have been terrible.

Sanu trade was an absolute disaster.

I have to agree. Thought he would be a nice piece to help the offense but it just hasn’t happened.

Then you are an idiot. The best results EVER lead you to say they need to change their plan? Really?

Stop looking to the past , look at the team BB assembled this year. In the last SB Edelman won the MVP because he was the only receiver who could make a catch. Even a jag like Hogan is missed.

Yeah yeah yeah, 6 SBs , multiple AFCCG, very nice. I appreciate all of that, not taking anything for granted but, as they say, Past performance is no guarantee of future result. In my opinion is totally legit to make these questions, the drafts have been terrible.
And that makes you an idiot. They went to 4 of the LAST 5 SBs and won 3 of them. That IS current performance.
It would appear your argument is that one consecutive non Sb season is cause to blow things up so 30 teams should start over every year. Again you sound like an idiot.

Stop looking to the past , look at the team BB assembled this year. In the last SB Edelman won the MVP because he was the only receiver who could make a catch. Even a jag like Hogan is missed.
They won the Sb LAST YEAR. They were in the Sb 2 years ago. They win the sb 3 years ago. They won the Sb 5 years ago. They just ended a 8 year run of going at least to the final 4. You really are an idiot and you are doubling down with each post.

Have you seen my post?

You thoughts are just laughable. It's like you're a baseball fan who recognizes that hitter going 3 for 4 with a HR is a good game, and whines when it doesn't happen every game. As if you fail to grasp the impossibility of going .750 with 162 HRs in a full season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back