The Patriots Decision With James Harrison Will Be Intriguing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Patriots Decision With James Harrison Will Be Intriguing

Steve Balestrieri

He did a very good job of setting the edge, providing a sorely needed ability at rushing the passer and was decent dropping into coverage, an issue that plagued the Patriots’ linebackers all year.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Well, what's "intriguing" is whether or not Harrison would actually make the 53-man at final cuts in September (six months away).

The Pats signing him to a 1-year lowball deal for the 90-man off-season/Camp roster as an "insurance policy" against failing to come up with someone better would seem pretty unremarkable to me.

They're going to need to come with money so he knows he's a focal point of their plans, even if at managed reps.

I am assuming he's not going to want to go back to Pitt and other teams likely aren't going to be attractive at this point. Add in the idea, he'd probably be even more effective with a full offseason, if he's into it, he could be a significant piece of the offseason budget.

FA moves: Solder (1 year?), Harrison (1 year + team option), Flowers (longer term), Burkhead (longer term).

I think Dion Lewis is gone and honestly as much as I enjoy watching him play, he's due for an injury. I don't trust anything long term with him.

Hated seeing this lowlife in a Patriots uniform and hope they can replace his production without a second thought. Go back to the Steelers where you can act like a grade schooler and call the Patriots cheaters, you hypocrite.

Hated seeing this lowlife in a Patriots uniform and hope they can replace his production without a second thought. Go back to the Steelers where you can act like a grade schooler and call the Patriots cheaters, you hypocrite.

I too hated watching him get to the passer causing sacks, while the rest of our Dline floundered around like the JAGs that they are. :-/

I don’t like him but I’d rather keep him than lose him at this point because the others on d were plain putrid. He got to Bortles and was the only guy to even pressure foles

Don't think we can spare him. Football over pride. I doubt we'll be able to find 53 players more valuable than Harrison.

I don’t like him but I’d rather keep him than lose him at this point because the others on d were plain putrid. He got to Bortles and was the only guy to even pressure foles

Wise and Butler hit their rookie walls. Flowers was doubled. We missed Valentine, Branch, etc, because a guy like Branch would command doubles.

Basically, Branch and Macolm Butler got big heads, and we possibly lost a SB over it.

If he's 100% serious about the Steelers promising him playing time, earning that playing time, and then not getting to play....... Bill will promise you nothing and play the best players.

He should put his money where his mouth is.

If he's 100% serious about the Steelers promising him playing time, earning that playing time, and then not getting to play....... Bill will promise you nothing and play the best players.

He should put his money where his mouth is.
Yeah, but Bill wouldn't lie to you about why you're not playing. Instant upgrade over Tomlin right there.

Keep an open mind

What decision? The guy is living in the was.

You win buy getting young and fast. Not old and slow.

What was his contract last year? I like Harrison and all but I feel like he would want too much $$

Had his moments, thats for sure, but we need to reload on LBs, no more these "cant cover nobody in passing game" guys.

What was his contract last year? I like Harrison and all but I feel like he would want too much $$
His Steelers contract was for $1.75 million last year, and I don’t think it would take even that to re-sign him this offseason.

I like Harrison, he's still hungry, and he's got abilities that make him useful on the field. He's got unfinished business and something to prove -- and something to contribute. Bring him on unless there's a really good reason not to.

His Steelers contract was for $1.75 million last year, and I don’t think it would take even that to re-sign him this offseason.

He signed with the Pats for a non-guaranteed $1.0M, and earned $58,800 on that (plus his playoff game checks).

I could see him re-signing for as low as 1 year at $1.25M with $250k guaranteed.

Had his moments, thats for sure, but we need to reload on LBs, no more these "cant cover nobody in passing game" guys.

Again, we're only talking about the 90-man, off-season/Camp roster at this point.

Doesn't guarantee that he makes the final 53, but having him under contract (cheaply) serves as an insurance policy in case the Pats fail to come up with someone better or that someone better gets injured near the end of Camp (e.g., Derek Rivers).

If you think about it, a vet subrusher deal like with Chris Long or someone like that, the price is probably in the 2-3 mil range.

So, all BB has to do is make sure he comes up higher than what Pitt was giving him, and that should do it.

If not, then he doesn't want a chance at a ring, redemption, nor does he want to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft