PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The optimism thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sucked against Detroit,,,a worse loss than against the great Jaguars

The Lions are a better team overall than the Jags were in week-2 (which may have been their season peak). What made it a "worse" loss is that the Pats offense failed from top to bottom against a pretty good coverage scheme.

Matthew Stafford's record against teams that end with winning season doesn't like this thread.

Grigsby got 3 D-snaps last night.

So far this season, Roberts - with 73 snaps - has been about as productive as Hightower has been - with 159 snaps.

The defensive snaps counts from last night:

Call me crazy, but I’d like to see what JC Jackson can do ahead of Jason. Penalty was bull crap, imo. We already know what we have in JMac - nothing special. Give the rookie more opportunities.

Different team when Gronk went down in 2016. Brady had both Edelman and Amendola plus a decent outside receiver in Mitchell. If we lose Gronk now teams will cloud the middle to take away Edelman and our outsides can’t beat 1 on 1 coverage. It would really come down to how well Josh Gordon plays. That’s a complete mystery right now.

Barring injuries I think we somewhat turn it around and get to 10-6 or possibly 11-5. All starts with the fish on Sunday.

They also had Bennett. And a well-seasoned Blount to pound the ball when necessary.

Hollister isn't Bennett yet, and Michel will never be Blount, but he does seem to have potential to be decent if the OL can remember how to run-block. I imagine that, in film sessions this week, Scar will run tape of the Lions OL and tell his guys, "THAT is how it's done!"

The Lions are a better team overall than the Jags were in week-2 (which may have been their season peak). What made it a "worse" loss is that the Pats offense failed from top to bottom against a pretty good coverage scheme.

The Jaguars returned practically fully intact a team that was basically a play away from the Super Bowl last season. Detroit got beaten by two teams who haven't won another game besides that one. I don't think there's any universe in which the Lions are a better team than the Jaguars, nor one where the Jaguars peaked in week 2.

Call me crazy, but I’d like to see what JC Jackson can do ahead of Jason. Penalty was bull crap, imo. We already know what we have in JMac - nothing special. Give the rookie more opportunities.

It's not crazy to want to see more of what Jackson (and Crossen) can do. Based on their play in pre-season, I think both have a lot of potential. But I wouldn't put them ahead of JMac just yet.

In 91 snaps this season, Rowe allowed 6 catches on 7 tgts for 90 yards and 2 TDs. He also has one PBU and 7 total tackles.

In 121 snaps, JMac has allowed 5 of 8 for 41 yards, no scores. He has a PBU and a run stuff and 11 total tackles, including 9 solo tackles - which puts him at the same level as KVN, DMac, Harmon and Bentley - all of whom have seen significantly more snaps.

JMac may seem like "nothing special", but he's quietly been very good.

Reason for optimism Number One:

"[Belichick's] line is: 'I've forgotten more about football than you'll ever know.'"

Rob Ninkovich

The Jaguars returned practically fully intact a team that was basically a play away from the Super Bowl last season. Detroit got beaten by two teams who haven't won another game besides that one. I don't think there's any universe in which the Lions are a better team than the Jaguars, nor one where the Jaguars peaked in week 2.

I'm willing to wait and see how they're respective seasons play out, but the Lions played better and more consistently last night than the Jags did in week-2.

After 2 huge losses at very least probably we can not be worse...not a lot of optimism still but we have to find a way to return sunday to a W

Then probably we could start to see the season in a different way

Now it is not easy

Reasons to be optimistic:
Maybe my >15-years on the waiting list has a chance of yielding tickets.
Most interesting draft in two decades.

Reasons for Optimism
1. The Patriots have a history of improving as the season goes along, especially the offensive line
2. Gordon and Edelman can win one on one battles and open up the offense for others.
3. Flowers will be back, a lot of the coverage breakdowns have been due to a lack of pass rush more than poor coverage.
4. This might be the most optimistic, but the further out Hightower and Michel get from their respective knee surgeries the more quickness they will regain (hopefully)

Hopefully, Gordon, Chung, and Flowers are all back next week, then Edelman will be back the week after.

We still have the best QB and the best coach in the NFL. Team just has to play better

I agree with everyone who says it's far too early to panic. There's definitely a right to be concerned, especially with the defense. But you don't make the playoffs or qualify for the Super Bowl in September or even October. Why I'm curbing my expectations with the Kansas City Chiefs. They've looked very good on offense, but their defense has been so-so and they're typically hot starters and they fade down the stretch. I don't think we'll get a good idea of how good the Patriots are/can be until around Halloween.

I agree with everyone who says it's far too early to panic. There's definitely a right to be concerned, especially with the defense. But you don't make the playoffs or qualify for the Super Bowl in September or even October. Why I'm curbing my expectations with the Kansas City Chiefs. They've looked very good on offense, but their defense has been so-so and they're typically hot starters and they fade down the stretch. I don't think we'll get a good idea of how good the Patriots are/can be until around Halloween.

Here's how it will go.

Pats will lose to Chiefs regular season and beat them in the post season

For me, the only possible response to the current situation is very simple: "We're on to Miami and...four days later!...Indy."
If they're 3--2 a week from Thursday, that's one thing. If they're 2--3 (or worse) it's another.
One game at a time.

Well, my view is neither. It was a first game. Houston stunk up the place but they are better than that. The pats were lucky in that game really but the first game is not a good barometer. I hope that all these first four are not indicative of anything
Houston is awful

For me, the only possible response to the current situation is very simple: "We're on to Miami and...four days later!...Indy."
If they're 3--2 a week from Thursday, that's one thing. If they're 2--3 (or worse) it's another.
One game at a time.
If Indy beats us I will be worried

I still see no reason why they won't win the AFC East, even if they miss out on a bye.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. See Giants, NY.
I can see a reason... the Dolphins win more games then us

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand