PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official 'Trade Brady' Debate Thread - Do Not Start Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Official Trade Brady Thread

Ian - I love this site dearly, but stupid threads like this should be relegated to the Practice Squad.

Ditto. This is embarrassing to read or to have out there.

brady to philly for mcnabb,samuel,westbrook...2 #1's/...?
frachise cassel send him to thee vikings for 2 #2's and peterson

:D

In all this either/or discussion, I have yet to hear the most probable situation that is likely to occur.

Tom Brady had a complete knee rebuild after tearing and ACL and MCL, along with subsequent complications. Most doctors and football experience indicates, that such an injury takes 18 months or more to recover from, and be fully productive.

(Some come back sooner like Dante Culpepper and stink up the joint, and endanger their careers.)

Eighteen months from September 2008 is February 2010, when presumably Tom Brady will be fully recovered, and be able to play like Tom Brady, and not some wounded, hobbling, immobile Duck.

So... Who plays QB for the NE Patriots for the 2009 season?

I think that is THE legitimate question to be asked, and the question and answer is what is really being addressed in the Patriots FO and mulled over by BB and SP. Fortunately, the Patriots are in the Cap shape where they can carry both; or could with some tweaking, according to Miquel. It would be tough, but it appears feasible.

The Pats have an extraordinary draft opportunity upcoming. The possibility exists, of completing the talent acquisitions that they need to finish the rebuilding of their Defense. Unlike Y'all, I believe most of the pieces are already in place for the reconstruction of the Defense. But they still need some other talent pieces, too.

They need a star SS, for their rotation, (Moore or Mays); another starting caliber ILB (Laurianitis, Maualuga, but realistically Cushing, Sintim), or two; a CB perhaps (not as clear); and another DE--> OLB conversion candidate. Only a top ten first pick, could produce a DE/LB ready to play like Merrimen, De Ware, or Willie McG etc. but most are second/third round multi-year projects, like, Colvin, AD, Vrable, or Phillips, Porter, Harrison, Woodley etc. We have a couple in that status already in Woods, Crable, and maybe Redd, to go with starters Vrabes and AD. Or they could sign a FA OLB, but likely they will not have the Cap room.

BB usually does not want to use a First rounder on a position switch and I don't blame him.
Good Safeties, CBs, and LBs, future red chippers, can all be obtained in the late first, second, and third rounds, so there is little need for the top ten type picks. Fortunately, we already have the top linemen and super skill players, that are chosen with these premium type picks.

It is also fortunate that the Offense can be almost ignored for a time. But the example of how poorly the interior and right side collapsed, when Neal fell, during the early minutes of the Superbowl, and the subsequent poor results for half a season, surprised the Coaches. In contrast, a seeming miracle happened with Neal's return two weeks ago, and miraculously there was a pocket and Matt Cassel was able to step up into it. Suddenly Cassel blossomed. The Offense sprang to life.

This experience says they need to spend a high pick on an interior O Lineman, for safety's sake. I suspect that is the course of action that the FO will take. Fortunately, they should be able to get a good interior candidate in the late first or second round, too. They don't need him to start immediately, but we need the talent there. (McKay or Luigs) Or they could gamble that no one will get hurt for a year.

I return once again to BB philosophy, He wants a team that is stronger from 1-53, or 61 than anyone else in the league. Other Teams may have more blue chip players; but if he has more red chippers, enough to withstand inevitable injuries, he will win and win big, at the end of the year. When your cap forces you to play scrubs in place of injured blue chip stars. Meanwhile he substitutes red chip for injured red chip, and gets comparatively stronger.

There is no position more important to have a good backup, blue chip or red chip, than QB. For the first time in a long time BB's management of the Cap, may have produced both the luxury, and the necessity, to do just that. Brady will likely not be the Brady of old until 2010, at the earliest. BB ever the realist, will prepare for that 2009 eventuality.:D:cool::)

Last edited:
How do you know Brady will not be close to 100 percent until 2010? Rivers is doing great,Palmer has other problems other then his knee. History shows Brady will be ready in 2009.

Brady wont be ready till 2010 thats kinda of a stretch don't ya think

Brady wont be ready till 2010 thats kinda of a stretch don't ya think

Brady will be ready for 2009.

here is whats gonna happen..

there will be reports of brady being hurt, everyone on here will freak out, everyone on jetnation.com will rejoyce. Cassel will be expected to be franchiesd....the patriots will do nothing of the kind, there will be a million threads speculating on why, and a million more saying " I have a feeling its gonna happen tommorow" Then, he will sign with another team, without a peep from BB, Opening day will come Brady will play, and play well, and FINALLY everything in the nfl will go back to normal.

Brady will be ready for 2009.

here is whats gonna happen..

there will be reports of brady being hurt, everyone on here will freak out, everyone on jetnation.com will rejoyce. Cassel will be expected to be franchiesd....the patriots will do nothing of the kind, there will be a million threads speculating on why, and a million more saying " I have a feeling its gonna happen tommorow" Then, he will sign with another team, without a peep from BB, Opening day will come Brady will play, and play well, and FINALLY everything in the nfl will go back to normal.

So the Pats are going to be really stupid about it? They will certainly franchise Cassel rather than just letting him walk and sign with other team.

Re: The Official Trade Brady Thread

You guys are all bugging...

All emotion aside--
If MC wins the SB I think the obvious choice would be to trade TB. Buy low sell high, emotion be damned, BB can replace anyone. There were several good points in this thread.....we are plenty under the cap both this year and next, now let me get out a fun crystal ball.....

We win the SB, Pioli and McDaniels go to the floundering Detroit franchise. They first negiotiate a move to LA and then a trade for TB including their 2 #1s this year and say a player/pick later. These picks set us up with enough talent to remake the Dynasty which is now effectively DEAD(havent won a SB in 4 years!). We can absorb the cap hit for trading TB, as well as signing not only Cassel but Wilfork and either Mankins/Seymour. The NFL would grease the wheels for the Lions move, TB would be more "at home" in Lala land too.
Dont you have to note that despite his success here that he is not out and around one minute more than he absolutely has to be?? More Larry Bird than say Bobby Orr, he isnt the type of athlete that adopts the city that adopts him. Jim Kelly LIVES in Buffalo, Dan Marino LIVES in Miami, Young and Montana LIVE in Cali, Elway in Denver, I cant see TB being around the way that Grogan has...sorry. I think TB will be OK with that kind of move, his hero Montana did it after all. His future in politics will fit ALOT better behind Arnold S. than any Mass liberals. His son is in CA,etc,etc....

This would be best for Pats fans(winning the SB and getting value in trade).
This would be the best for other NFL teams-the perception of dominance shaken.
And this would be the best for the NFL, TB in LA would get HUGE ratings and instant credibility(if not success).
Sorry Detroit, nothing personal.LOL.

In all this either/or discussion, I have yet to hear the most probable situation that is likely to occur.

Tom Brady had a complete knee rebuild after tearing and ACL and MCL, along with subsequent complications. Most doctors and football experience indicates, that such an injury takes 18 months or more to recover from, and be fully productive.

(Some come back sooner like Dante Culpepper and stink up the joint, and endanger their careers.)

Eighteen months from September 2008 is February 2010, when presumably Tom Brady will be fully recovered, and be able to play like Tom Brady, and not some wounded, hobbling, immobile Duck.

So... Who plays QB for the NE Patriots for the 2009 season?
Where did you get that idea? Brady has an ACL reconstruction and MCL repair. Palmer had structural damage to his kneecap on top of that and was back in 6 months and with no ill effects. Culpepper rehabbed in a strip mall parking lot, and his problems don't emanate from his knees. Brady's full recovery was projected for 9 months post surgery. That put him in training camp. The infection added a couple of weeks to the equation. That puts him in the pre season.

Tom Brady plays QB for the NE Patriots for the 2009 season. Kevin O'Connell and either Gutierrez or some minimum salary savvy vet back him up. Just like Cassel did for the last two seasons. Matt Cassel starts somewhere else. Bill isn' going to spend 25% of his cap on one position because we do have needs and 1-53 do matter.

Why even start this one? There is no debate.

3 Super Bowl rings, 4 super bowl appearances and best record in the NFL since he became QB.

Next!

Dang! Every time I go away on business I miss a "Legendary" argument....

I'm surprised this even continued after my legendary post....aren't you?

you freakin idiots, you dont trade brady. You trade cassell while his stock is high, cause this guy is a flash in the pan nothin.

You have a lot of balls kid with that avatar. I'm surprised the mods even allow you to have it.:rolleyes:

All emotion aside--
If MC wins the SB I think the obvious choice would be to trade TB. Buy low sell high, emotion be damned, BB can replace anyone. There were several good points in this thread.....we are plenty under the cap both this year and next, now let me get out a fun crystal ball.....

We win the SB, Pioli and McDaniels go to the floundering Detroit franchise. They first negiotiate a move to LA and then a trade for TB including their 2 #1s this year and say a player/pick later. These picks set us up with enough talent to remake the Dynasty which is now effectively DEAD(havent won a SB in 4 years!). We can absorb the cap hit for trading TB, as well as signing not only Cassel but Wilfork and either Mankins/Seymour. The NFL would grease the wheels for the Lions move, TB would be more "at home" in Lala land too.
Dont you have to note that despite his success here that he is not out and around one minute more than he absolutely has to be?? More Larry Bird than say Bobby Orr, he isnt the type of athlete that adopts the city that adopts him. Jim Kelly LIVES in Buffalo, Dan Marino LIVES in Miami, Young and Montana LIVE in Cali, Elway in Denver, I cant see TB being around the way that Grogan has...sorry. I think TB will be OK with that kind of move, his hero Montana did it after all. His future in politics will fit ALOT better behind Arnold S. than any Mass liberals. His son is in CA,etc,etc....

And this would be the best for the NFL, TB in LA would get HUGE ratings and instant credibility(if not success).

I typed some big old thing here, but I'll try to be nicer

Brady isnt going to get traded regardless of what happens.

THREAD LOCKED.

Last edited:
I typed some big old thing here, but I'll try to be nicer

Brady isnt going to get traded regardless of what happens.

THREAD LOCKED.

Brady should adopt a city who is ready to trade him away because he got injuried.

All emotion aside--

You brave soul.
While I don't agree with all of your points (Detriot isn't going anywhere, we are not winning Superbowl with this defense, who gives a rats aass if an athlete lives here or for that matter what hat he wears), more importantly, NE has not won a SB in 4 years (ding, ding). Last year, I would pin the loss on the defense, which is not as good this year and will be worse next year without some help. As I've posted previously, I'm not wanting to trade Brady, but would like to see what picks/players the Pats could get in return. Particularly if its not clear if we are able/willing to franchise Cassel and we don't know Tom's health despite all the reports from the many Dr's on this board.
The defenders of the No-Trade, state that Tom has brought NE three Superbowls. That's partly true, combined with some great defense which outright won the first one against St. Louis and made McNabb toss his cookies in another one. The other theme which is harped on is Cassel not being Brady. Go through all the posts and delete the obvious ones (he's a flash in the pan, never won a big game, etc, etc) and look at it from purely a qb on a team with a great defense and would his team be favored to win a superbowl. I see him improving (regardless of the Pittsburgh game) and becoming one of the better qb's in the NFL. Would Brady as qb and the current defense win next year's superbowl? Probably not. But hey, lets lock this thread, because discussing a possible player trade is absurd and they will "hate their coach".

Where did you get that idea? Brady has an ACL reconstruction and MCL repair. Palmer had structural damage to his kneecap on top of that and was back in 6 months and with no ill effects. Culpepper rehabbed in a strip mall parking lot, and his problems don't emanate from his knees. Brady's full recovery was projected for 9 months post surgery. That put him in training camp. The infection added a couple of weeks to the equation. That puts him in the pre season.

Tom Brady plays QB for the NE Patriots for the 2009 season. Kevin O'Connell and either Gutierrez or some minimum salary savvy vet back him up. Just like Cassel did for the last two seasons. Matt Cassel starts somewhere else. Bill isn' going to spend 25% of his cap on one position because we do have needs and 1-53 do matter.

And Culpepper came back in a year and stunk. It took Griese that much time to be effective. They could play sooner but they were NOT themselves, merely a shadow of themselves is what I am saying...

I don't even see five "GREAT" games.

2 great games vs NYJ @ Miami

1 good vs Denver

The rest mediocre to bad.

I see you are a tough grader. His merely"good" game agaisnt the Broncos was enough to merit an "AFC Offensive Player of the Week" award...

OK, I've had a bit of wine and I've only read the first two pages, but this is one of the funniest threads ever. And I'm not mocking anyone here.

I'll take the subject seriously if and when Cassel takes the Pats to the SB.

Thanks to the Krafts, Coach, Pioli, the staff and the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes