PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The OFFICIAL Patriots vs. Saints Post-Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit ticked that Brady didn't tie Brees' consecutive game TD mark with that game winning TD pass to KT. That would have really been magical. Darn you Amendola;)

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I might have just set the record for the most crow eaten in the shortest amount of time, never been happier to be wrong

This was the23rd post in this thread and the first not criticizing Belichick, or the WRs, or Brady. Why don't you fly by night fans go chase the latest hot team. How about the Jets or Jaguars. Y'all don't deserve anything better.

I have never seen so much complaining about a 5-1 record! :rocker:

Must suck to have no brain and not know what you are talking about. First post of the thread said nothing about doom and gloom. Neither did the 2nd. Only pointed out issues in the game. I suggest you take your head out of your own arse and realize how pathetically arrogant you sound attempting to say that my initial post was doom and gloom. People like yourself who can't be bothered with reading comprehension and have to react like total jerks are the issue.

I suggest you don't say anything to anyone going forward because you only make a fool of yourself when you do.

Balogna. Half of the posters here would be much happier if the team were 1-5 and not 5-1. So they could espouse their pet criticisms.

This was the23rd post in this thread and the first not criticizing Belichick, or the WRs, or Brady. Why don't you fly by night fans go chase the latest hot team. How about the Jets or Jaguars. Y'all don't deserve anything better.

It is UNREAL. I understand being upset or pissed by a loss, maybe concerned in a few areas but it's pathetic that so many act like the sky is falling when we are 4-1 going into tonight's game w/the adversity facing us. It's actually a bit embarrassing. Wonder what our players think of half the stadium having an exodus when down 4 points? Probably the same some of us here think when half the forum declares the game and even season doomed. Yikes.

I just want to credit Jamie Collins' play on that final kickoff with his tackle and forced fumble inside the 10. we got a glimpse there of what he is capable of. Phenomenal play.

Great night for boston fans in general.

I'm shocked austin contributed in the final drive. Part of me thinks brady should go to him more instead of julien, but i don't want him to get knocked out.

My one big thought is about all the nay-sayers/negative people that reside on this forum. They are they type of people that would have started workign their way to the parking lot after the Brady interception.

Those people would have had their backs turned to the field when Brady was making plays on that last drive. could you imagine putting in all that time and money to miss a rare performance.

You ought to go check out the reaction over at Seahawks.net. There are a whole ton of people who aren't happy with the Hawks performance today at all, despite the fact that they're 5-1 now as well and were playing a VERY tough defense. And really, why should they or you be completely satisfied? Pete Carroll is always preaching to his players about playing "championship football." He'll tell you he's never completely satisfied, no matter what the margin of victory. He constantly identifies things that the team needs to improve on because he knows that if the championship is truly the goal (which it is for that team), you're always striving for perfection in all phases of the game. That's exactly what Carroll believes, Seahawk players believe, a whole ton of Seahawk fans now believe ... and that I know Bill Belichick, Patriots players, and many Patriots fans believe as well.

The false start was clearly a blown call by the officials, and the replay showed it.

I think perhaps you don't have the rule correct.

Defensive players are allowed to be in the neutral zone. It is never a foul simply to be in the neutral zone. It's only a foul if it's encroachment (which requires contact) or offside.

It's only encroachment if they are in the zone and make contact. It is only offside if they are in the zone when the ball is snapped. Once an offensive player moves, it's immediately a dead ball, so there is no snap. At that point, the only question is whether the defensive player caused a natural and immediate infraction by the offense. That's a pure judgment call. And nothing on the replay establishes it one way or the other. The fact that there was a hard count makes it, to me, an easy call.

There was nothing on the replay showing contact -- I sure didn't see it. So there's no way it's encroachment. And there's nothing on the replay to me that establishes the official made an improper judgment call.

I think perhaps you don't have the rule correct.

Defensive players are allowed to be in the neutral zone. It is never a foul simply to be in the neutral zone. It's only a foul if it's encroachment (which requires contact) or offside.

It's only encroachment if they are in the zone and make contact. It is only offside if they are in the zone when the ball is snapped. Once an offensive player moves, it's immediately a dead ball, so there is no snap. At that point, the only question is whether the defensive player caused a natural and immediate infraction by the offense. That's a pure judgment call. And nothing on the replay establishes it one way or the other. The fact that there was a hard count makes it, to me, an easy call.

There was nothing on the replay showing contact -- I sure didn't see it. So there's no way it's encroachment. And there's nothing on the replay to me that establishes the official made an improper judgment call.

I have the rule just fine, thanks. It was definitely a blown call by the official. It's not even a close call.

But there's no way you can make something like that a 'judgement call' if the OL moves right away, impossible to know his intention. The only question is whether a)the OL movement is instantaneous in reaction to someone in the neutral zone or b) there is a defender in the neutral zone, hesitation from the OL, it clicks in the OL head that I can draw an offsides, and then moves. A is a foul on the defense, B is on the offense. In this case, the Saints OL movement was instantaneous so IMO it's quite unfair to 'judge' he wasn't moving based off our guy jumping. We definitely got away with one there.

But there's no way you can make something like that a 'judgement call' if the OL moves right away, impossible to know his intention. The only question is whether a)the OL movement is instantaneous in reaction to someone in the neutral zone or b) there is a defender in the neutral zone, hesitation from the OL, it clicks in the OL head that I can draw an offsides, and then moves. A is a foul on the defense, B is on the offense. In this case, the Saints OL movement was instantaneous so IMO it's quite unfair to 'judge' he wasn't moving based off our guy jumping. We definitely got away with one there.
Actually the rule is to allow the player to protect himself from being hit, not to give him an allowance to move because someone on the defense did.

Actually the rule is to allow the player to protect himself from being hit, not to give him an allowance to move because someone on the defense did.

Right that's why it's a defensive penalty. And the purpose of calling the other variety on the OL is to prevent them moving just for the sake of drawing a penalty.

an ex-ref doesn't think the pats did a neutral zone infraction, so maybe it isn't so cut and dry

https://twitter.com/RefereeJimD/status/389524513719074816

The Ex-Ref is referring to the ability to get back prior to the snap as long as contact is not made and there's not a clear path to the QB. That's not applicable here, though, because of the OL movement in response to the Patriots movement.

The Ex-Ref is referring to the ability to get back prior to the snap as long as contact is not made and there's not a clear path to the QB. That's not applicable here, though, because of the OL movement in response to the Patriots movement.

he also said that he didn't believe the saints snapped it while he was in the NZ so no foul in his opinion

he also said that he didn't believe the saints snapped it while he was in the NZ so no foul in his opinion

The snap is irrelevant, because it's the OL movement that triggered the call. That official should know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes