PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The New official Patriots vs Steelers Post game thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have liked to have seen more of an adjustment though, because it was clear early in the game that they were implemeting a different offensive approach in this one.

Absolutely, and Arrington eluded to that. The problem is that as soon as you start flooding the middle of the field against the slants, they throw a 40 yard bomb to Wallace. It's probably a good thing for this forum's sake that didn't happen. If the Steelers can use this newly found short passing game with 2/3 the success that they had against the Pats, that's suddenly a very scary offense.

Okay. You worry about fixing something that's no broken. I'll worry about the 6 or so positions I'm more worried about on the team (4 on defense) that I'm more worried about for next year.
According to Patriots Pro Football Weekly, Belichick will be moving back to a 3-4 defense next season. If you don't think that the 3-4 outside linebacker position is a major weakness for the New England Patriots defense then you are in denial.

According to Patriots Pro Football Weekly, Belichick will be moving back to a 3-4 defense next season. If you don't think that the 3-4 outside linebacker position is a major weakness for the New England Patriots defense then you are in denial.

The spot opposite Ninkovich is one of my top concerns on the team.

Absolutely, and Arrington eluded to that. The problem is that as soon as you start flooding the middle of the field against the slants, they throw a 40 yard bomb to Wallace. It's probably a good thing for this forum's sake that didn't happen. If the Steelers can use this newly found short passing game with 2/3 the success that they had against the Pats, that's suddenly a very scary offense.

I think teams have thrown five yard passes before, it's not really revolutionary. The fact of the matter is, whatever this secondary plans to do, it leaves a big hole somewhere else, because they aren't very good.

Actually, on 3rd and 15 when they should know what's coming, they still can't cover...and why would it be a shock they went to Heath Miller?

It's really just an excuse. With two weeks to prepare, they couldn't play basic pass defense, or make slight adjustments.

Last edited:

It was game specific. Teams with even a decent secondary and decent linebackers would have completely shut that passing game down.

Last edited:
Got to give the Steelers major props. This was the best coaching + execution job an opponent has done against the Pats this year. Like Sciz said earlier in the thread, they knew the Pats would focus on stopping Wallace and tore them apart underneath with Miller instead. And on the other side of the ball, they got away from their traditional zone blitz and played lots of man underneath (very Jets/Ravens-like). This wasn't a game like the Bills where the Pats were giving the game away with turnovers. Sure, the Pats needed to make more plays, but for the most part the Steelers schemed them *very* well.

On the plus side, this game gives the Pats some experience (and film) in dealing with the exact type of gameplan that will send them home in January. The Pats have 9 games to figure out a solution. On offense, I suspect they will figure it out and if they do, the solution should bode well vs. Baltimore and NY as well. The D? We'll see.

Regards,
Chris

You win some, you lose some!

Not happy with the game, but it was just one of those games!

And to anyone who is feeling like killing themselves because of the loss, it could be worse...

...you could be a Colts fan! That isn't a case of you win some, you some! That is you win none, you lose a lot!

Hey, look at it this way. At least you didn't get your ass kicked by the Rams,lol

Hey, look at it this way. At least you didn't get your ass kicked by the Rams,lol

Your team is just fine, pherin. As we all know, it's a long season which produces some weird outcomes and losses. Otherwise, someone would go 16-0/15-1 every year. The Rams had their day in the sun, but your squad certainly is not short on talent

The Saints will be there at the end, batteling the elite NFC teams in the playoffs.

Your team is just fine, pherin. As we all know, it's a long season which produces some weird outcomes and losses. Otherwise, someone would go 16-0/15-1 every year. The Rams had their day in the sun, but your squad certainly is not short on talent

The Saints will be there at the end, batteling the elite NFC teams in the playoffs.

Thanks, kind of needed a Pat on the back :) thanks

It was game specific. Teams with even a decent secondary and decent linebackers would have completely shut that passing game down.

As right as you are, Deus, your post actually makes me feel even worse somehow--LOL!

I'm just not understanding some of these personnel moves this yr, and the Bodden release has my panties in a bunch lately.

Under the cap...no success in an addition before the trade deadline...and the release of a key CB 2 days before a major game, knowing that Dowling was going to IR? Just not understanding the secondary moves at all.

As an oft-positive poster, this one has me scratching my head even more than the safety moves.

I don't know if anyone else notice this. There were couple of times a steeler receiver being surrounded by maybe 4 or 5 pats DBs, but roethlisberger still throws to that receiver and complete the pass.:eek: I really think this secondary has hit the rock bottom( i hope), they can't be worse then this.

This is reminiscent of the Jets Playoff game. Beating us with short passes. Unlike the Jets, the Steelers have a pretty good QB so they decided to do it on every snap.

In Oct, they tried to do the same thing, and we adjusted.

What's pissing me off is the lack of adjustments in the 2nd half. I know the gameplan was to take Wallace away but man, we left the middle wide open. Even a scrub qb like Sanchez or Falco could have hit those open zones.

And I hope the team is pissed and mad. They need to destroy the Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes