PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Mahomes talk today reminds me of the Manning talk during 03, 04

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Mahomes is awesome, for sure. He is going to be great for a long time.

But the talk reminds me off when all the sports people nationally talked about how no one could beat the high powered Manning Colts back in 03 and 04, even after we had beaten them in both regular seasons it was like "how are the Patriots going to stop them". You would think that the Chiefs had not lost last night.

Now of course, back then we had an amazing Defense.. but still we gave up 34 in that McGinnest game in Indy, and 24 in that season opener in 04.

it's also kind of nuts to think we are still talking about the same QB from back then and today. It is always Brady against someone. Brady/Manning, Brady/Rodgers, Brady/Luck, now lets see how long it can be Brady/Mahomes...

I was impressed. Haven’t watched him play before. I hope they don’t start a Manning like thing.

I love @mosslost

This guy is GOLD. Mahomes might be good, he might not. Let’s not forget that even though some flamed out quick (RG3), a guy like Luck lasted 2-3 years... then BAM. They all fall. And TB keeps winning.

What's Max Kellerman saying :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reminds me of the RG3 hype when he first came on.

And the Dak Prescott hype. And all the other QB hypes, new and old.

He’s an NFL QB who gets to throw to 3 of the most electric players in the game. He looks like he may be a good QB. Beyond that, we’ll see.

I don't see that Manning was in his 6th and 7th season this cat just played his 7th game. With that said he looks impressive, but as others have pointed out so have many others.

it really has been a lot of brady's vs someone, or the next up and comer

and they've all fallen flat...if we made a list...damn

manning
other manning
big ben
rodgers
warner
favre
brees
rivers
stafford
romo
palmer
cutler
dalton
matt ryan
luck
wilson
Colin
flacco
carr
watson
mahomes
garoppolo

at one point or another i gaurantee you in the last 18 years someone has said each and every one of those players was better than brady...and slow and steady, some faster some slower, they all fell by the wayside...while the Goat plays on

First time I saw Mahomes I knew why the league would be marketing him like crazy:

Steph Curry-like appeal

1. Ethnic background, or at least skin tone and facial features, appeals to a universal audience. He looks like Curry, especially when wearing a helmet.

2. Possesses unique skills that, like Curry, really have no equal. He may not end up being the most effective QB, but he is really exciting and fun to watch. I would say his ability to turn on a dime and throw that accurately and smoothly is a lot like watching Curry arc a perfect 30 foot three pointer on the run with a defender in his face.

3. Both are sons of former professional athletes (Pat Mahomes, Dell Curry) who, though not superstars, give the appeal of royal bloodlines.

4. Watching the Chiefs offense is so much like watching the Warriors offense transformed into an NFL team. Speed, smoothness, variety, amazing chemistry.

No it doesn’t. It reminds me of the typical young QB talk we get every year. We get this every year. Young QB with a good offense with lots of weapons goes off before there is tape on him. Remember RGIII, remenber Dak, remember Wentz being out of this world last year. Happens every year. They’ll falter due to inexperience in the playoffs and their porous defense. Teams will analyze the tape on Mahomes and he’ll come back to earth. Then in about 3 years we’ll have a large enough sample size to know what he is.

Manning was in his 6th and 7th year. Back to back MVP years and the 2004 season at that point in time was the best QB season we’d seen in 20 years since Marino in 84. They ran into one of the most balanced teams of the 2000’s twice with the GOAT coach and QB. That’s different

Having rewatched highlights, my opinion of Mahomes has changed. He throws it up for grabs on a regular basis. we could easily have more than double the amount of interceptions and that's a ticket out of the league IMO. If he curbs that tendency he's very talented, but that's a big if. Big reason TB is still cooking.

He's been quite impressive but he's also gotten quite lucky. He has a habit of rolling out to the right then throwing back across his body that should have resulted in at least one more pick Sunday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News