PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Krafts are relentless in their assault on Belichick's coaching.

You don’t think the Mona Lisa Vito impromptu press conference during Super Bowl week was a defense of Brady? Sure seemed that way to me. Still, I guess we’ll hear from Brady himself on the topic soon, maybe he agrees with you.
And he got ridiculed by national media on this press conference who called it "bizarre" and doubted his explanations (by saying why the Patriots' footballs were under the 12.5 PSI mark but not the Colts - when in the end it turned out that a) not all Colts footballs were measured and b) the Colts footballs that were measured were also below 12.5 PSI if I recall correctly).

i wasn't talking about money. example-kraft's comments in his personal presser after the one he had with bill where he basically stated he or his reps were the ones who had final say through 03-04 is a smarmy way of removing credit from the guy who was always put forth as the decision maker.
bb's errors,he owns. i am not sure we will ever hear the backstory behind any of it from him.
I understand what you're saying... Yes kraft always has final say as he's the owner, however he made comments that over time as he learned from experience that he tries to stay out of the way and let Bill make the decisions as he pays bil alot of money to do so. For a majority of the time Bill made good decisions for the best interest of the team.. we wouldn't have won without Bill having done so. However when you have the QB for so long the most important position on the team stable it makes those decisions Bill had to make alot easier.

I understand what you're saying... Yes kraft always has final say as he's the owner, however he made comments that over time as he learned from experience that he tries to stay out of the way and let Bill make the decisions as he pays bil alot of money to do so. For a majority of the time Bill made good decisions for the best interest of the team.. we wouldn't have won without Bill having done so. However when you have the QB for so long the most important position on the team stable it makes those decisions Bill had to make alot easier.
the way i always put it before either was gone was they made each other's jobs easier.bb never had to worry about qb and tb never had to worry about coaching.

When Bill responded to deflategate his press conference was effectively "I don't deal with the footballs, ask Tom".

I get why fans are mad at Kraft about deflategate because he basically said he would take the punishment lying down and didn't double down to get out of it. But at least he said he disagreed with the rulings and made it seem like he believed Brady. He didn't pull what Bill did and said "idk, this is a Tom Brady thing".

But if there's someone Brady and his camp would be mad at in that scenario, it was the guy who when all the spotlight was on him basically told the whole world "look at Tom not me". Because after that moment it became a Tom Brady story and Brady became the main target and was left hung out to dry. If people can't handle that, it's because they can't handle critcism of Bill. And if you can't handle critcism of Bill, they you should stop making nonsense narratives of blaming everyone else for Bill's mistakes that people obviously will call BS on.

Preach on!! To add to your perfectly put post. When spygate was happening Brady and all the guys were behind Bill. Wich helped fuel the undefeated season. I've mentioned that is when the wedge started, going back to the 2014 draft with getting Jimmy G. Tom felt he was getting replaced.. the ol' "we all know Tom's age" comment. I've said myself my critique of bill has nothing to do with how great he was a coach I'd be a fool not to acknowledge that! However strictly from a GM perspective the last 3 seasons the team worsend. The only part of the team that has anything salvageable is the defense. We all know guys get hurt, leave in FA, get cut. Traded but a GMs job is to adequately replace them. The most important position of all at QB was utterly butchered.

Brady circled the wagons for Bill during Spygate and I always felt like Bill kind of left Brady out in the cold a bit with Deflategate when he could've defended him or sometimes just not said anything at all.

I have not been on Team Bill, but this doesn't sound like fair criticism.

Bill might have been guilty in Spygate, but his reputation took a hit that was not warranted to the crime. Bill grew up in an era where stealing signs was actually considered a smart move. I can imagine how Red Auerbach's tactics would be viewed today.

BB likely did have nothing to do with footballs in any way. He was also likely told by the league that another Spygate event would lead to his own suspension. Sean Payton had recently been suspended for a year over something that he likely knew nothing about. And Bill spent the most of the press conference talking about the natural gas law, how the accusation was bull, while defending the organization and Brady with a detailed amount of research.

I have plenty of complaints about Bill since 2017, but this one is not fair.

The Dynasty:

1. Kraft buys the stadium & surrounding land
2. Kraft stops others from buying team
3. Kraft buys the team
4. Under Kraft, Pats go to SB - lose.
5. Kraft hires Belichick
6. Belichick lucks into Brady
7. Dynasty is born.

But yea, Dynasty happened despite Kraft. LMAO
In 2001, your GM Kraft wanted to replace Brady with Bledsoe and told BB that his job was on the line sticking with Brady. Kraft loved Bledsoe and made him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

Kraft then figured out that he knew more about selling Mac and Cheese than football and turned all football decisions over to BB.

Your 2024 Pats GM Kraft was along for the Dynasty ride cutting out coupons for seedy massage parlors on road games. Buy 2 pole polish jobs and get one free.

If I were the Pats, I’d wait until after the combine before deciding what to do at 3. I’d want McAdoo’s complete and informed opinion first.

This Parcells thing gets too much play. It happened 30 years ago. Terry Glenn had a nice career in the NFL, including 4 1,000 yard seasons. Parcells wanted Tony Brackens who also had a nice career, but wasn’t exactly LT.

the way i always put it before either was gone was they made each other's jobs easier.bb never had to worry about qb and tb never had to worry about coaching.
Agreed, we know TB12 carried bills message to the field.

I have not been on Team Bill, but this doesn't sound like fair criticism.

Bill might have been guilty in Spygate, but his reputation took a hit that was not warranted to the crime. Bill grew up in an era where stealing signs was actually considered a smart move. I can imagine how Red Auerbach's tactics would be viewed today.

BB likely did have nothing to do with footballs in any way. He was also likely told by the league that another Spygate event would lead to his own suspension. Sean Payton had recently been suspended for a year over something that he likely knew nothing about. And Bill spent the most of the press conference talking about the natural gas law, how the accusation was bull, while defending the organization and Brady with a detailed amount of research.

I have plenty of complaints about Bill since 2017, but this one is not fair.
Understand your point, I think posters were just trying to make a point on some things with Bill it's not to diminish all the great things he did. Just using spygate in comparison to to deflategate how TB12 was left by his lonesome to deal with it. The organization was 100% behind Bill with spygate.. Kraft even asking Bill how much does it help. Bill saying a 1 on a scale to 100. I'm sure Bill had nothing to do with the air pressure, however had spygate never been magnified like it was I don't even think what Brady had to endure on his own would never been an issue.

If the “Self-made man’s” slander of Bill continues, and I’m sure that it will, I may have to call in to Felger and Mazz for the first time and relay the story that a patient who did a lot of construction projects at Johnny Boy's mansion told me a few years ago about Thanks, Dad's affinity for hookers. When his wife and kids were away, Johnny would play. True story. The Orchids of Asia petal did not fall far from the stem.

Understand your point, I think posters were just trying to make a point on some things with Bill it's not to diminish all the great things he did. Just using spygate in comparison to to deflategate how TB12 was left by his lonesome to deal with it. The organization was 100% behind Bill with spygate.. Kraft even asking Bill how much does it help. Bill saying a 1 on a scale to 100. I'm sure Bill had nothing to do with the air pressure, however had spygate never been magnified like it was I don't even think what Brady had to endure on his own would never been an issue.

And I disagree with the point.

Spygate was clearly Bill. Nobody thought for a moment that Tom had directed the cameras. Bill took the hit without any risk of there being accusations against anyone else, so Brady stood behind BB risk-free. Different circumstances.

It wasn't Bill's fault that deflation had a life of its own. But during the press conference Bill was 100% behind Brady and the organization. He just wasn't going to become involved in areas that had nothing to do with him with his own (larger) suspension potentially looming.

Im
And I disagree with the point.

Spygate was clearly Bill. Nobody thought for a moment that Tom had directed the cameras. Bill took the hit without any risk of there being accusations against anyone else, so Brady stood behind BB risk-free. Different circumstances.

It wasn't Bill's fault that deflation had a life of its own. But during the press conference Bill was 100% behind Brady and the organization. He just wasn't going to become involved in areas that had nothing to do with him with his own (larger) suspension potentially looming.
I'm confused on what you disagree on? I 100% disagree on Brady being risk free, he served a 4 games suspension and paid a fine, legal fees.. ownership didn't pony that up the GOAT was left to go it alone.. all he had was the union behind him.. Kraft used his influence to save Bill from a suspension thus paying a fine and loss of draft picks.. for spy gate.. so yes Brady, and the entire team stood behind bill.. guys took it personal being called cheaters during spygate.

not crazy about how the back to back wins in 03 and 04 were pretty much glossed over. didn't even mention the Corey Dillon acquisition.

Yes, I believe it is. Kind of strange to not have a better working relationship with your boss who's paying you 25 million. I always thought that was odd.
Yeah their dynamic was weird. Like a teenage kid not wanted to talk to a parent... or just overall awkwardness.

I can't believe I just watched the 2007 SB (Dynasty doc) and the 2009 Ravens (BB AFL Doc) losses on the same day. Just a day after watching some Antarctica documentary (which I really enjoyed) leave some lost inland floundering baby seal to die because they can't interfere.

If I were the Pats, I’d wait until after the combine before deciding what to do at 3. I’d want McAdoo’s complete and informed opinion first.

This Parcells thing gets too much play. It happened 30 years ago. Terry Glenn had a nice career in the NFL, including 4 1,000 yard seasons. Parcells wanted Tony Brackens who also had a nice career, but wasn’t exactly LT.
I see this here from time to time. If you believe the article written by Wil McDonough published the day after the Glenn decision, then you may conclude that this is not correct about Brackens. McDonough reported that Parcells wanted Duane Clemons after the Giants picked Cedric Jones a couple of picks before the Pats’ selection.

Brackens was a DT, he didn’t play the same position as LT. Jones and Clemons were what we now commonly refer to as “Edge” players in the NFL. Brackens was good for a few years for the Jags but was undersized in comparison to the guys Parcells (and BB) typically seemed to like in their systems.

It would have been interesting if the Giants hadn’t picked Jones. Would the Pats have taken him instead of Glenn, then picked a WR in the 2nd round instead of Milloy? Would Parcells have left after that season anyway?

I 100% disagree on Brady being risk free, he served a 4 games suspension and paid a fine, legal fees..
He meant that Brady and the other players were risk-free during Spygate as there was no way the league would have gone after players for that since it was clearly an area that belonged to the coaches' responsibility.

Im
I'm confused on what you disagree on? I 100% disagree on Brady being risk free, he served a 4 games suspension and paid a fine, legal fees.. ownership didn't pony that up the GOAT was left to go it alone.. all he had was the union behind him.. Kraft used his influence to save Bill from a suspension thus paying a fine and loss of draft picks.. for spy gate.. so yes Brady, and the entire team stood behind bill.. guys took it personal being called cheaters during spygate.

I disagree that Bill deserves any criticism for his handling of deflationgate, and that he was any less loyal to Tom than the other way during spygate.

Bill's answer was something like you have to ask Tom about blah blah blah.... It's the standard throw away BB press conference answer like "you have to ask the doctor", or "you have to ask the referee". He habitually says this when he wants to avoid a question, he might not even the answer to. It meant nothing except in the conspiracists head because the entire press conference was expertly explaining the natural gas law, which took a lot of time, and as I remember was accurate with a lot of new information for many.

Bill used science to defend everyone and gets criticized for his approach with the media. What is this? Cleveland???

It wasn't Bill's fault that procedure meant more than the science (guilt or innocence). In this case, nothing the organization did short of lawsuit would have been helpful to anyone.

Deserving a discussion about anything other than he was great, is what I disagree with.

Last edited:
I see this here from time to time. If you believe the article written by Wil McDonough published the day after the Glenn decision, then you may conclude that this is not correct about Brackens. McDonough reported that Parcells wanted Duane Clemons after the Giants picked Cedric Jones a couple of picks before the Pats’ selection.

Brackens was a DT, he didn’t play the same position as LT. Jones and Clemons were what we now commonly refer to as “Edge” players in the NFL. Brackens was good for a few years for the Jags but was undersized in comparison to the guys Parcells (and BB) typically seemed to like in their systems.

It would have been interesting if the Giants hadn’t picked Jones. Would the Pats have taken him instead of Glenn, then picked a WR in the 2nd round instead of Milloy? Would Parcells have left after that season anyway?
Yeah, I know Brackens didn’t play the same position as LT. I made the reference to LT to show that Brackens wasn’t a great player, not that they played the same position. My point was that far too much has been made of this. It’s 30 years ago and it’s not like Brackens, Clemons or anyone else Parcells was considering was so much better than Terry Glenn.

Brady made Bill a better coach, Bill made Brady a better player. Both admitted as such. As great as Bill was and deservedly so. We have to understand the direction of the team particularly offensively, losing, coaching decisions and a 4-13 season Is ultimately what lead to a mutual parting. Doesn't take away from what Bill meant to the organization.
Stop it you are making to much sense and speaking facts. Can’t have that here. LOL.

He meant that Brady and the other players were risk-free during Spygate as there was no way the league would have gone after players for that since it was clearly an area that belonged to the coaches' responsibility.
Thanks for the clarification.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back