PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Josh Gordon Thread: Pats Officially Acquire Gordon for Fifth-Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kimbrel, Barnes and Brasier can turn into Foulke, Timlin and Embree we are golden
Good teams win on the road. Boston is one of them, but Houston is an amazing 52-22 away from home.

Go Yankees (I don’t even like baseball).

I want no part of HOU

I went to my first ever game at Gillette Stadium week 1 this year against the Texans. I've lived about 90 minutes outside Houston since I was a year old, and my cousin is an Astros season ticket holder. The Stros being in town at the same time as the Texans was too perfect to pass up.

The Pats game was obviously great but that Astros-Red Sox game at Fenway the day before was hands down the highlight of the trip. We took a tour of the park first. Amazing place with amazing history. And I truly felt like there was a mutual respect between all the Sox and Houston fans in attendance.

Couple things on Gordon.

1. He has never hurt anyone but himself. He is not out thuging or committing domestic assaults.
2. It has been clean since last October or at least that’s what his tests would indicate.
3. He seems like a likable guy who keeps to himself and unlike many wide receivers he is not a diva.
4. I think he will do well with structure I think that is why he consistently checked himself into rehabs. I think his problems occur when he is outside of a structured environment without people holding him accountable.

1)Deep fade to mof. Haden is in off man. Gordon really gets into his stem around the 40. Eats up that cushion to create space when he breaks off around the 27 (you see a hard plant & some pellets come up). Haden also gets on his horse around the 32.

Gordon has some separation. Play takes a minute to develop. Slightly under thrown?Maybe if the ball was gone sooner, you'd probably get a huge chunk if it hit but there's a chance no TD.

Haden times it perfectly from behind. Gordon is flying one way & it is a well placed ball but again slightly under thrown, kinda hung up there.

2)Looks like Back shoulder. Burns gets a decent jam. Maybe a bit of grabbing by 25 later but it didn't look too bad.

3)Smooth release from Gordon (single move). Really sells the plant & immediately creates space. Looks like this is more a back shoulder right that pylon. Great body control.

I watched about 20 reps & didn't see him dogging anything. Should be noted this team ran Callaway ragged to "teach" him a lesson. So it's not out of the realm of possibility they decided to not use him heavily & see what had him game 1?

Hopefully we get to track his reps going into February

Last edited:
Allow me. You've already put a ton of stuff up already.
I'd like to hear ur thoughts so by all means post some clips. These are just 3 targets from week1

I'd like to hear ur thoughts so by all means post some clips. These are just 3 targets from week1

Actually my thoughts are just novice observations but I do like to post video to see the comments from those who understand the game at a higher level.

I've already recorded the last two seasons of the all 22 and am in the editing phase at the moment. Should be up before midnight.

Rumors out of Cleveland are that Gordon wasn't in "football shape". That Hue Jackson played Gordon in 69 snaps during the 1st game as "punishment" to show Gordon how out of Football shape he was.

I'm curious if someone with access to ALL-22 can take a look at that Cleveland game and give their honest assessment of Gordon in the 2nd half and particularly the 4th quarter.

In Hard Knocks Hue Jackson also did this to Calloway in preseason for his DUI. So first of all, hopefully these two stories aren’t being conflated. Second of all, these are both really weird punishments. Most players WANT to play every snap (especially Calloway who was trying to prove himself).

Bill Simmons likened it to punishing his son by forcing him to go to his room and play 14 hours of Fortnite.

Not sure what Hue Jackson is doing there but it gives more credence to the fact that New England is a far superior environment for JG to thrive.

Update: The video is uploading now. It's a large file so might take a while.
Got called back into work last night so sorry for the delay.

In Hard Knocks Hue Jackson also did this to Calloway in preseason for his DUI. So first of all, hopefully these two stories aren’t being conflated. Second of all, these are both really weird punishments. Most players WANT to play every snap (especially Calloway who was trying to prove himself).

Bill Simmons likened it to punishing his son by forcing him to go to his room and play 14 hours of Fortnite.

Not sure what Hue Jackson is doing there but it gives more credence to the fact that New England is a far superior environment for JG to thrive.
Hue is an idiot. Plain and simple.

Rumors out of Cleveland are that Gordon wasn't in "football shape". That Hue Jackson played Gordon in 69 snaps during the 1st game as "punishment" to show Gordon how out of Football shape he was.

I'm curious if someone with access to ALL-22 can take a look at that Cleveland game and give their honest assessment of Gordon in the 2nd half and particularly the 4th quarter.

I went through the first three offensive series for the Browns before running out of time. But I was more interested in how he looked in the plays where he is not targeted. One of the things that made people a bit interested into Dorsett last year was that he showed up in A22 page even when Brady didn't threw the ball to him. He ran his routes, blocked his assignments and mostly did his job (which was WR4 back then).

On the first play he beats Burns inside on a slant by about 2 steps but of course Taylor doesn't realize. This was his only snap on that first series.

In the second series he might have had zero snaps (or maybe I missed him).

During the third series he is mostly run blocking. During some third downs he drew double coverage from the Steelers. At one point he blocked on the far left side of the field and still sprinted down to the sideline on the other side to potentially help his RB.

So nothing too positive or negative here. I will look at the rest of the game at some point today but as with most things I am not sure a single game would give much insight anyway. I am just surprised at the number of his snaps and the fact that he missed the majority of the early snaps. I guess he must have played a lot more in the final 3 (4 with OT) quarters.

Last edited:
48 Targets in total. Starts with his last game and progresses to each previous game through to his first game back last season.

I've numbered each play. If you want to see the live game footage of any of the plays let me know by telling which numbered play it is.

My personal opinion is that this is not the JG of 2013 but is still very good.

1. Still receives double coverage which tells me teams respect his abilities.
2. A lot of off target throws to him. Some are actually funny
3. A few times you'll see he had his coverage beat but because the ball was under thrown he had to come back to it.
4. I saw one drop that I would put on him. But he probably was shocked that he had an on target ball to catch. haha

48 Targets in total. Starts with his last game and progresses to each previous game through to his first game back last season.

I've numbered each play. If you want to see the live game footage of any of the plays let me know by telling which numbered play it is.

My personal opinion is that this is not the JG of 2013 but is still very good.

1. Still receives double coverage which tells me teams respect his abilities.
2. A lot of off target throws to him. Some are actually funny
3. A few times you'll see he had his coverage beat but because the ball was under thrown he had to come back to it.
4. I saw one drop that I would put on him. But he probably was shocked that he had an on target ball to catch. haha

Nice work. Very informative. If the guy in these tapes really can adopt the Patriot way (not a given) I think he will be a big asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back