PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Josh Gordon Thread: Pats Officially Acquire Gordon for Fifth-Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmfao, that was my thought. Why does a team that can’t even win one single game over the past several seasons concern itself with whether their malcontent WR is traded in-conference? “Oh no, if we send Gordon to an AFC team, they will play us more often and it might help them beat us!!” News flash - they were already beating you 100% of the time without Gordon.

Not 100% now. They got one tie

You think there's going to be a bidding war? Really?

I think if he was a free agent, you'd have to give him a contract for substantially more than $750k with guaranteed money and it would probably be for just one year since he has more power in that scenario and you're competing for his services on the open market.

With a trade you get his cheap contract, which lowers the risk, and control for more than one year because he's an RFA, which means if he works out then you're golden. If you want him, there's no reason not to give up like a 5th or 6th for him unless you mistakenly overvalue picks after the 4th round. The Patriots don't.

Randy Moss was a malcontent till he got to New England. His career’s pretty much on thin ice already. It’s worth a gamble in my estimation. The guy has been set up to fail with the Browns. It’s cleveland! Smoke bud 24/7.
I would not be comparing Moss to Gordon.

Gordon has gotten busted for weed three times, he just tapped out of all of training camp, and couldn't answer the bell Saturday.

Randy's rep was being something of a diva, some times taking plays off, and some times openly questioning the coaches, but worked hard, was committed to winning, and was loved by most of his teammates:
Star running back Adrian Peterson called Moss "a great teammate" and "cooler than an ocean breeze" despite watching him give up on several plays in the previous game against New England, question the coaching staff in a postgame rant and embarrass the organization by criticizing the food offered by a local restaurant.
Ref: Randy Moss: Loved by teammates, frustrates coaches

BB's post-career comments are absolutely glowing:
“Great receiver, great player, great person,” Belichick said Monday night. “I learned a lot from him. [He was] a great, great, great deep-ball receiver. Very smart, has a really good understanding of the passing game and how to attack defenses from his point of view, which is, certainly, as a player, one that I’m not familiar with.

“[He’s] fast and can get over the top of the defenses and understand how teams look at an explosive weapon like him. He made me a better coach. He made us a much better team and he was a great person to have on the team. He was a lot of fun to be around, but he worked hard and was very committed to winning.
Ref: Bill Belichick praises Randy Moss ahead of Hall of Fame enshrinement

Granted there is some degree of distance to factor in to BB's comments, but c'mon, Josh Gordon is nothing like Randy Moss.

Gordon has gotten busted for weed three times, he just tapped out of all of training camp, and couldn't answer the bell Saturday.

Randy's rep was being something of a diva, some times taking plays off, and some times openly questioning the coaches, but worked hard, was committed to winning, and was loved by most of his teammates:

Granted there is some degree of distance to factor in to BB's comments, but c'mon, Josh Gordon is nothing like Randy Moss.
But if he is covered and you throw a pass that has a 50% chance of being picked off he can jump really high and fight the DB for it.
Oh wait, our qb doesn’t throw passes than have a 50% I think Chance.
Never mind.

But if he is covered and you throw a pass that has a 90% chance of being picked off he can jump really high and fight the DB for it.

Fixed.

I have had a ringside seat out here in NE Ohio for the entire Josh Gordon scenario. He epitomizes the phrase "clubhouse cancer". I know BB has taken on troublesome vets in the past and gotten positive results but Gordon's problems dwarf a lot of other players. There had to be more than just a hamstring issue or a lack of trust that led to this upcoming release. My guess is big time dissension in the locker room. I don't think Gordon will ever seriously accept the Patriot Way. He would fit better on a team with a much looser set of rules. I hope the Patriots say, "thanks but no thanks".

Imagine being the Browns and thinking this matters.
They know it doesn't matter in the way your thinking. This smells like them being butt hurt we traded Jimmy out of the conference without considering them.

I bet he's going to the Rams

Nobody would ever claim Moss' off the field issues were identical or equal in severity to Gordon's.

He won't be released. If you trade for him, you get him on a contract at $750k this year and he's still an RFA at the end of the season so you'll have him controlled for a few years. It's much less risky to trade a low-round pick for him than to get into a bidding war for his services.

I think teams want to know what the reasons were behind being late to the photo shoot and the severity of the bad wheel. If its a relapse hes done. If its a shoot-his-way-out-of-town tactic that is a different issue. If his hammy is on the severe side, if he can't help them this year he will be released.

As for your first assertion, I would suggest Gordon is a much better player than all of the above. If you have the opportunity to get a talent like his still in his prime, I think you have to go for it. Maybe a team will outbid them and that's fine, but they shouldn't look at the receivers they have now and think that's good enough.

Talent wise, I agree as I said earlier BB is not going to trade a pick this year if he has a severe hamstring injury.

I think teams want to know what the reasons were behind being late to the photo shoot and the severity of the bad wheel. If its a relapse hes done. If its a shoot-his-way-out-of-town tactic that is a different issue. If his hammy is on the severe side, if he can't help them this year he will be released.

Talent wise, I agree as I said earlier BB is not going to trade a pick this year if he has a severe hamstring injury.
I don’t think he was late for a photo shoot.
Reports are saying his injury occurred at a photo shoot, which had nothing to do with the team, and that yesterday he showed up late and “wasn’t acting like himself” which led to suspicion of drug use.

I have had a ringside seat out here in NE Ohio for the entire Josh Gordon scenario. He epitomizes the phrase "clubhouse cancer". I know BB has taken on troublesome vets in the past and gotten positive results but Gordon's problems dwarf a lot of other players. There had to be more than just a hamstring issue or a lack of trust that led to this upcoming release. My guess is big time dissension in the locker room. I don't think Gordon will ever seriously accept the Patriot Way. He would fit better on a team with a much looser set of rules. I hope the Patriots say, "thanks but no thanks".

I know he is a bad presence in the browns locker room and he is on drugs. I thought this over this way: if I were in cleaveland would I be a locker room menace and loudmouth drunk ranting about all manner of things after 20 or so losses in a row? Oh hell, I do almost all that now. But yes, if I were a player on that team I’d take drugs fast

I don’t think he was late for a photo shoot.
Reports are saying his injury occurred at a photo shoot, which had nothing to do with the team, and that yesterday he showed up late and “wasn’t acting like himself” which led to suspicion of drug use.

I'm going by this..

Late Saturday night, news broke that the Cleveland Browns intend to release wide receiver Josh Gordon next week, if they can't find a trade between now and then. Gordon reportedly injured his hamstring at a promotional shoot and showed up to the facility later than expected, and the Browns decided they had enough.

Of course, given Gordon's previous issues, there was near-immediate speculation that there was more to this situation than we were led to believe. Not so, according to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, who said the impending release of the star wideout has nothing to do with any substance abuse related issues, and really is just about an injured hamstring and habitual tardiness that led the team to feel it could no longer trust him.

Josh Gordon's impending release is reportedly not substance abuse related, but about trust

Go Pats.
Grap to Gordon would make me cheer for a NFC team

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes