PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jaguars offense is actually worse than you think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait...what?

Allen Hurns v. Buffalo - 0 catches, 1 target
Allen Hurns v. Pittsburgh - 1 catch, 12 yards, 2 targets

None, and I mean none of the CBs he was matched up against is better than Eric Rowe. Joe Haden was, once upon a time, but clearly isn't anymore.

Hurns has been quite obviously been running out there with one leg.

If this is the Jaguars best matchup, they're in for a long afternoon.
the writer must not follow the Steve Belichick guide to scouting..

so much talk has gone on about the offense vs. the jags defense. but not much has been said about the Jags offense vs. our defense.

There is nothing exotic about their offense. they want to run the ball, get Bortles into 3rd and short, and run play-action. Their receivers aren't anything spectacular that you need to gameplan for like hte steelers....if you stop the run, and make Bortle have to make tough throws into tight spots, can he do it? I doubt it.

I would be interested to see what Buffalo/the 49'ers did differently than the steelers on defense. to me it looked like the steelers played their same lazy zone backing off receivers about 10 yards. Steelers also didnt do anything to stop the run and let Jax play THEIR game on offense.

Comparing Jacksonville to Denver and Seattle is nuts. Maybe Jacksonville one day gets there - they are talented. But those teams had experience too. I think Brady will educate a few Jags DBs on Sunday.

Those teams (defenses) could also stop the run.

I don't know. It took me a hour to do it. I would say probably pretty good as the defense didn't score many points or get many turnovers for us nor did the offense get too many short fields. Also the Patriots only ran over 40 yards once all year (Lewis got 44).

I would guess the Patriots go down 1-4 PPG but the offense didn't get a lot of help this year from the other units as far as short fields or free points.

Good analysis. One thing i noticed is that bortles’s passer rating sits at 66 when trailing.

Obviously, this means the obvious, but it also means he HAS to have a run game to be effective.

If the pats win the toss, they should consider taking the ball.

There's no doubt the Jax D is opportunistic and takes advantage of other teams mistakes. I don't see the Pat's making mistakes and I'd be surprised if Jax scores more than 17 points.

There's no doubt the Jax D is opportunistic and takes advantage of other teams mistakes. I don't see the Pat's making mistakes and I'd be surprised if Jax scores more than 17 points.

Football fans have a very short memory, so last jaguars we saw were the ones that put 45 on the steelers....but they are also the same team that put only 10 on the bills, and threw 3 interceptions against the 49'ers and lost to the titans twice.

I am certainly no football scholar, but I would be curious to see what those teams did differently to make bortles look like trash vs. the steelers who seemingly couldnt stop a sieve.

personally, i trust bill to gameplan effectively for their offense. I mean we arent gameplanning for the falcons last year or the steelers this year...its bortles and fournette....thats it.

looking through jags box-scores, there are quite a few teams who have scored in the 20s-30s on them.

Football fans have a very short memory, so last jaguars we saw were the ones that put 45 on the steelers....but they are also the same team that put only 10 on the bills, and threw 3 interceptions against the 49'ers and lost to the titans twice.

I am certainly no football scholar, but I would be curious to see what those teams did differently to make bortles look like trash vs. the steelers who seemingly couldnt stop a sieve.

personally, i trust bill to gameplan effectively for their offense. I mean we arent gameplanning for the falcons last year or the steelers this year...its bortles and fournette....thats it.

looking through jags box-scores, there are quite a few teams who have scored in the 20s-30s on them.

Even in the Pittsburgh game, Bortles made some decent plays when it counted, however, he still only had 214 yards passing and 1 TD for a team that scored 45 points. Not that impressive. Even the first game they mauled the Steelers 30-9, he had 95 yards and an interception, I believe. The defense scores more points than the offense does.

But definitely agree with stopping really one offensive player, Fournette and maybe a hobbled one at that. Bortles will get a few runs or scrambles and maybe make a few decent throws. If we score early and often and force him to throw the ball.... game over. They aren't a team that really plays well from behind. They like to control the clock, run Fournette and let the defense make stops or get turnovers but they need that. Bortles on his own can't put up 35-40 points, the offense feeds off of the defense and its scoring ability. Stop that, stop them.

Would be fairly surprised to see Fournette take over this game. He’s had more sub-3 ypc games this year than he’s had ones with 4+ ypc. And he’s two Steelers games away from having had zero multi touchdown games.

Past numbers obviously aren’t always everything this time of year in a 1 game series. Seems to bode well though that it might not just be a “bend but don’t break” attitude of having Fournette get his numbers while forcing Bortles to make them beat them. Instead, the Pats D has a very reasonable chance of effectively shutting down both the run and pass.

Last edited:
Would be fairly surprised to see Fournette take over this game. He’s had more sub-3 ypc games this year than he’s had ones with 4+ ypc. And he’s two Steelers games away from having had zero multi touchdown games.

Past numbers obviously aren’t always everything this time of year in a 1 game series. Seems to bode well though that it might not just be a “bend but don’t break” attitude of having Fournette get his numbers while forcing Bortles to make them beat them. Instead, the Pats D has a very reasonable chance of effectively shutting down both the run and pass.

Steelers defense is so overrated. They really aren't that good. We are much better at stopping the run than they were and hold teams to way less points. Still don't get why Pittsburgh's defense gets so much love these days.

The squealers came out flat and they never recovered. They had two chances to tied the game when it was 28-21 but couldn't get over the hump. Their defense was pathetic. Our defense will have to tighten up for sure.

together the best of what Seattle and Denver have had recently. Bortles and Fournette w

49rs played the way Brady had played those l Cover 3 defenses. Middle of the field, take what they giclve you. High percentage throws to keep the chains moving.

JJ, JuJu, GG Allin. Doesn’t matter. Pats are going to the Super Bowl.

I haven't googled him or anything, but off the top of my head, wasn't GG Allin the singer of a post-punk band who performed acts of masochism onstage?

It's all about stopping the Jaguars running game. The Jags have the #1 rush offense in yards and #7 in YPC in the league.

This is where the Harrison pickup makes a big time difference, not so much for intel on the Steelers. Those outside runs that have been killing us just won't happen.

I haven't googled him or anything, but off the top of my head, wasn't GG Allin the singer of a post-punk band who performed acts of masochism onstage?
Yes, I’m glad to see that someone got the reference.

Steelers defense is so overrated. They really aren't that good. We are much better at stopping the run than they were and hold teams to way less points. Still don't get why Pittsburgh's defense gets so much love these days.
Yeah, although I agree that their defense is somewhat overrated, I also don’t think it’s quite what you’re suggesting in this post.

Pittsburgh led the NFL in sacks with 56, which is one more than Jacksonville (55), so there’s that. Contrary to your post, they also allowed less rushing yards per attempt than NE at 4.42 versus our 4.68. Of course, that also equates to less rushing yards per game, too. They allowed around 109, where we allowed 111.

They allowed one of the lower yards for passing against per game at 201, compared to our 248, and they had the same record at 13-3, so it can’t all be attributed to the popular “garbage time” theory. Overall, they allowed way less total yards per game at 310 vs our 360. They also created more turnovers at 1.29 per game vs our 1.06.

Holding teams to “way less” points was the difference between 18.24 (5th) and 20.76 (11th) per game, so that’s where we came out on top. If you said that our defense was much better from game #7 forward, then I’d definitely agree with you, because there’s no doubt about that one.

After reading some of the posts here they seem to suggest if we don’t turn the ball over we win. They score most of the points on turnovers and the great field position they get from them. I think that’s the key. We protect the ball we win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes