PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The hilarious PFF rankings last night

Yes they were. Back in the day, they were regularly mocked on this board because of it. They had it on their website. It was in their early days. I haven't followed them since, but they didn't have access to the all-22 when they first started and used network broadcasts to do their grading.
I knew this I just didn't think it was years that they didn't have it. I'm curious when the switch happened bc most media could get their hands on it.

Judon 84 out of 101?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I think we should find that sweet spot for the other 10 slots, if that's the case. We'd be the '85 Bears.

Pff is interesting and also a work in progress. They still have a lot of work to do to make themselves relevant. Funny how some people preach it as gospel to hype up their players.

Not sure, but I read Onwenu was benched last night? Anyone know if it was true or just injury related?

Some stats that I do find compelling are pressures. I just don’t see the need to make up a bunch of other stats that make no sense or just a little too much chaos to be considered relevant.
He was benched for Karras because of his 2 penalties.

Judon 84 out of 101?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I think we should find that sweet spot for the other 10 slots, if that's the case. We'd be the '85 Bears.
He's one of the top pass rushers but he's terrible against the run.

PFF had some value when it was, basically, the first way for fans to get the snap counts from teams. Then they tried expanding their product, but came up with crappy formulae and the like, and it became garbage.

Collinsworth literally said that Wise was the Pats' best defender last night.

Right…I just mean that’s not what PFF actually said. It’s a three game sample size ranking, not an overall player grade from a whole season.

He's one of the top pass rushers but he's terrible against the run.
Nowhere in 5 previous years in the league did you ever hear that Judon was "terrible against the run."

His "terrible" TFL cutting inside the tackle and taking down the runner last night was simply "terrible."

PFF may not be completely accurate but who's their competition? It's just a way to compare players based on common criteria. Pretty much everyone in the NFL is quoting their numbers.

Of course, they're not as accurate as our own Pats fans using their "eye test" while watching games on the boob tube.

Right…I just mean that’s not what PFF actually said. It’s a three game sample size ranking, not an overall player grade from a whole season.
The owner of the company isn't making such fine distinctions as you are. He's presenting it to the largest platform possible as settled fact. It wasn't "Small sample size of only three games, but so far Deitrich Wise has graded out as one of the Pats' best defenders so far", it was "Dietrich Wise is the Pats' best defender" without any explanation.

I mean it's better than random fan analysis. Let's be real here. It's also flawed, like any subjective evaluation.

I like PFF and their attempt to bring more analytics into the game. Maybe some of their formulas could use some work, but i feel their grades do deliver some insight on occasion. I think Wise has been solid and has done everything asked of him, even though he's not a playmaker. The Judon grade is ridiculous though.

PFF may not be completely accurate but who's their competition? It's just a way to compare players based on common criteria. Pretty much everyone in the NFL is quoting their numbers.

Of course, they're not as accurate as our own Pats fans using their "eye test" while watching games on the boob tube.
ESPN's QBR gets quoted a lot too, despite it also being complete garbage. It's two crappy products being pushed by those who are intimately associated with them.

I mean it's better than random fan analysis. Let's be real here. It's also flawed, like any subjective evaluation.
I poke around each year with team rankings from multiple sources. Even with subjective evaluations it's surprising how big a difference there is with some teams from poll to poll.

It must be even more difficult with grades for individual players. Is a player dominant or is he matched up well? Things like that.

ESPN's QBR gets quoted a lot too, despite it also being complete garbage. It's two crappy products being pushed by those who are intimately associated with them.
I haven't heard QBR quoted like pff grades but I get your point.

The owner of the company isn't making such fine distinctions as you are. He's presenting it to the largest platform possible as settled fact. It wasn't "Small sample size of only three games, but so far Deitrich Wise has graded out as one of the Pats' best defenders so far", it was "Dietrich Wise is the Pats' best defender" without any explanation.

Is that what it was, or was it the network failing to distinguish that? I’m not asking this in a hostile way…just curious. Regardless, I’m in full agreement that the end result is moronic and these grades would be ludicrous. I’m just saying that actual PFF ratings over a full season are a lot better than this.

Is that what it was, or was it the network failing to distinguish that? I’m not asking this in a hostile way…just curious. Regardless, I’m in full agreement that the end result is moronic and these grades would be ludicrous. I’m just saying that actual PFF ratings over a full season are a lot better than this.
Collinsworth just stated in his color commentary, after Wise made a play, that Wise was the Pats' best defender without context or explanation, which caused Froob on our board to wonder if he was having a hallucination since he never connected it to PFF. The next play happened and it was never mentioned again.

I never pay any attention to what the announcers have to say specifically. The only thing I care about is whether they're easy on the ears in general.

Whether they mean three games or longer they're wrong either way.

Judon, Bentley, JC Jackson, Dugger, Guy off the top of my head are better defenders than Wise... this season, or based off talent alone.

PFF player grades are toilet paper, totally useless.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back