PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The hilarious PFF rankings last night

PFF ranking Shack Mason 8th/36 is more egregious than ranking Matt Judon 84th/103.

Nowhere in 5 previous years in the league did you ever hear that Judon was "terrible against the run."

His "terrible" TFL cutting inside the tackle and taking down the runner last night was simply "terrible."

Judon HAS been bad vs the run this season, Especially regarding his edge-setting responsibilities.

Deatrich Wise 21 of 113
Lawrence Guy 118 of 122
Davon Godchaux 36 of 122

Matthew Judon 84 of 103
Don’t’a Hightower 45 of 83
Kyle Van Noy 30 of 83

JC Jackson 31 of 108
Adrian Phillips 8 of 80
Devin McCourty 20 of 80
Jonathan Jones 76 of 108
Jalen Mills 79 of 108
Combined rankings........548/1110=49%

Conclusion: Considering Pats D has given up 6th fewest points in the NFL, their D players' middling rankings indicate the 'whole is better than its parts'

Nod to the D coaches .......I guess (and playing the JESTs early in the season)

Whether they mean three games or longer they're wrong either way.

Judon, Bentley, JC Jackson, Dugger, Guy off the top of my head are better defenders than Wise... this season, or based off talent alone.

PFF player grades are toilet paper, totally useless.
Technically speaking, if PFF grades are toilet paper then they aren't totally useless.

How exactly would a person rate an individual player in such a team sport as football. I don't think Big Vince got many sacks but I bet he caused a few.

Bump .. Let's drag the nerds ..

Imagine spending time thinking about this question ?? Defense doesn't matter lol Pass rush isn't as valuable as coverage lol

Like they have talking points but no idea what they're saying. It's just funny that people are buying into this stuff man. I'm sure both are a lot smarter than me in general but I'd love to see what they really know about this game. This stuff just sounds so casual - like they're trying to sound cool. Idk I'm not trying to be dramatic but they're reasoning is just funny. "Tate helps his QB, helps other WR" "Defense doesn't matter as much"

Tate, at his peak was a borderline top 15-20 WR. 3 1K seasons, 46 TD's. Myles might be a nut but he's got HOF potential and not far off that path. In no world would you take Tate > Garrett if you had the choice.

Honestly some of their stuff is just bonkers.

Remember when Gilmore was graded out as one of the worst CB’s in the NFL, but won DPOTY?

Remember when Gilmore was graded out as one of the worst CB’s in the NFL, but won DPOTY?
He graded out high I believe in both 2018 & 2019. Top 3-5 I believe.

Last edited:
Check the Ravens game 2019. Not as low as I thought, but it’s a bizarre ranking.

Yea I'm sure he had bad games. Overall for the year he was a top 3 CB for PFF.

Their OL/LB grades drive me nuts. Especially OL! I like the info, thinking of stuff in different ways. They're out there, which will happen for sure but lately they've been in space.

@Rob0729 I believe we were talking about when they (PFF) started using the A22? Ended up finding out it was 2014 - when they first started using it. Fwiw

@Rob0729 I believe we were talking about when they (PFF) started using the A22? Ended up finding out it was 2014 - when they first started using it. Fwiw

Thanks for the info. They started in 2004. That was ten years work of using network broadcasts for their analysis.

Thanks for the info. They started in 2004. That was ten years work of using network broadcasts for their analysis.
Collinsworth bought PFF in 2015 and instituted a lot of changes, including having them hire professional scouts. Presumably they're much improved now.

They claim to now have all 32 NFL teams as customers. If true, that's somewhat more significant than the opinions of the inmates here.

Last edited:
Bump .. Let's drag the nerds ..

Imagine spending time thinking about this question ?? Defense doesn't matter lol Pass rush isn't as valuable as coverage lol

Like they have talking points but no idea what they're saying. It's just funny that people are buying into this stuff man. I'm sure both are a lot smarter than me in general but I'd love to see what they really know about this game. This stuff just sounds so casual - like they're trying to sound cool. Idk I'm not trying to be dramatic but they're reasoning is just funny. "Tate helps his QB, helps other WR" "Defense doesn't matter as much"

Tate, at his peak was a borderline top 15-20 WR. 3 1K seasons, 46 TD's. Myles might be a nut but he's got HOF potential and not far off that path. In no world would you take Tate > Garrett if you had the choice.

Honestly some of their stuff is just bonkers.

I'm probably Golden Tate's biggest fan on this board - we win SB46 in 2011, at minimum, if he had been drafted here in 2010 - but that comparison is just silly.

Every time I think of PFF I think about when they had Bradley Fletcher rated has a top 5 corner or something ridiculous like that when we released him. He never played another down in the league lol.

Collinsworth bought PFF in 2015 and instituted a lot of changes, including having them hire professional scouts. Presumably they're much improved now.

They claim to now have all 32 NFL teams as customers. If true, that's somewhat more significant than the opinions of the inmates here.
If you want to hire someone to count how many times a team has two TEs on the field or rushes five or more or other quantifiable events, that's useful and fine.

When they start saying definitely that player X rated 1.7 and is ranked 23rd out of 110 and pretend that it means something, then it becomes laughable.

ESPN's QBR gets quoted a lot too, despite it also being complete garbage. It's two crappy products being pushed by those who are intimately associated with them.
I just cannot keep up with how that stupid thing works anymore. Especially this year, its like they decided to not give anyone high scores anymore. Brady had a 5 td 0 ints game and got a 63QBR

I just cannot keep up with how that stupid thing works anymore. Especially this year, its like they decided to not give anyone high scores anymore. Brady had a 5 td 0 ints game and got a 63QBR
It's just another idiotic formula with some Godawful "biases". Football's trending in the direction of baseball, with the nerds taking over and using data that should be decision aids as final say material.

rofl.gif

So when Bill wouldn't have wiped his ass with PFF, and we were all told that the Patriots used their own geeks, it was ok to question PFF. But, now, with Bill maybe using some unknown amount of its services, suddenly the fans magically can't be right about it?

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back