PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The hell is going on with Ryan Mallett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like watching the Griswolds at Christmas, lies and misinformation are part of the seasons tradition.

Most likely nothing is going on. Just mediots competing for twits following them. Stopped clock being right twice a day algorithm.

Brady will likely play at least 4 more seasons, so it's a given that the Patriots will try to trade Mallett at some point, otherwise he'll be about 31 when he's given a chance to start in a Patriots uniform. So it makes sense that Belichick would entertain the possibility of trading Ryan right now because arguably his value will never be higher.

Shouldn't it be...WHAT THE HELL not the hell.

Anyway, I really think he may be a real catch for Cleveland. And we certainly could use a draft pick or two.

Perhaps Belichick thinks that it is important to have a solid backup as our #2 quarterback, and perhaps Belichick feels no pressure to trade Mallett. That's certainly the way I feel. We can think about tradeswhen and Belichick has a different backup in place.

Leverage. If Belichick can convince these other teams that he actually will keep Mallett, then that adds another bidder for his services. Not only would a team have to offer more than every other team, but also offer enough that Belichick is willing to let him go.

The espn article is a month old. Things have probably changed between then and today.

I am not sure the rush to trade him unless it is for a big price. The last thing you want to do with any asset, let alone a QB, is to sell early and without adequate replacement.

Is his value really higher today than it could be a year from now? maybe, given the lack of QB talent available, but you are also leaving yourself thin at the most important position. I sure hope Belichick holds out for a ransom, since its of no value to sell low.

The majority of the reports out there right now are non-sense. Shalise Manza Young was giving her opinion on NFL AM, aka....just making ***** up.

From Bedard's piece on Thursday:

This is for certain: prepare to be bombarded by different reports about negotiations for the top players. It will make the Welker stuff look tame.

Agents with top-of-the-market players about to cash in — Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Jake Long, Cliff Avril, Dashon Goldson, Michael Bennett, Brent Grimes, etc. — are under a lot of pressure, not only to boost their own commission, but to deliver that huge contract they’ve been promising their client. There is a desperation involved, especially if the market isn’t hot to start. So if an agent thinks that lying to a media member will boost his client’s contract, you better believe he’s going to do that.

This "tampering" period is pure BS. I'm sick of it already.

The majority of the reports out there right now are non-sense. Shalise Manza Young was giving her opinion on NFL AM, aka....just making ***** up.

From Bedard's piece on Thursday:

This "tampering" period is pure BS. I'm sick of it already.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."

I am not sure the rush to trade him unless it is for a big price. The last thing you want to do with any asset, let alone a QB, is to sell early and without adequate replacement.

Is his value really higher today than it could be a year from now? maybe, given the lack of QB talent available, but you are also leaving yourself thin at the most important position. I sure hope Belichick holds out for a ransom, since its of no value to sell low.

Mallet's value is highest now because of the poor QB market and the years left on his rookie contract. Next year he'll be in his contract year so that a team who trades for him then might get a one year rental or more likely have to give him bigger $ before having a strong sense of his capabilities, q.v. KC with Cassel as an extreme example.

If Brady is out, I'm not all that interested in a Pats season with Mallet at QB.

...Is his value really higher today than it could be a year from now?

Significantly. The only way Mallett could increase his value in the next year would be for him to get on the field for some fairly significant playing time. Unless Brady gets hurt again, Mallett's draft stock will fall, not rise, in the next 12 months, because teams will lose the chance to have a one year test period with the kid before having to decide how to lock him in.

maybe, given the lack of QB talent available, but you are also leaving yourself thin at the most important position. I sure hope Belichick holds out for a ransom, since its of no value to sell low.

If Brady goes down, there is no SB for the Patriots. They can sign someone from this forum up as the backup, for all the difference it's going to make.

Nonsense.

What if Brady goes down for 4-6 games early in the season? Should we just give up?

I have never understood the concept of the invincible Brady.

Backup quarterback is an important position. My personal preference is a veteran.

If Brady goes down, there is no SB for the Patriots. They can sign someone from this forum up as the backup, for all the difference it's going to make.

Significantly. The only way Mallett could increase his value in the next year would be for him to get on the field for some fairly significant playing time. Unless Brady gets hurt again, Mallett's draft stock will fall, not rise, in the next 12 months, because teams will lose the chance to have a one year test period with the kid before having to decide how to lock him in.

After what we saw this year, I am not sure why anyone would feel confident writing off a team as talented as ours if Brady went down. Joe Flacco just won superbowl MVP, 3 months after many people thought his career had already been defined.

Leverage. If Belichick can convince these other teams that he actually will keep Mallett, then that adds another bidder for his services. Not only would a team have to offer more than every other team, but also offer enough that Belichick is willing to let him go.

Right on the money. No reason to admit you want to trade someone.

Nonsense.

What if Brady goes down for 4-6 games early in the season? Should we just give up?

I have never understood the concept of the invincible Brady.

Backup quarterback is an important position. My personal preference is a veteran.

My apologies for broad brushing it. Yes, in the instance where Brady goes down for a small number of games during the season, yet comes back in time for the playoffs, the SB would still theoretically be possible. Given that I've talked about Cassel and Hoyer as options, I'm certainly not opposed to bringing in veterans.

However, let's be realistic here. Despite the way people around here act as if being the backup QB to Brady required the NFL version of the Rosetta Stone to master, we've had several veterans come in and be ready, if needed, in year one. Mallett's not leading the team to a SB and Brady's contract would seem to indicate that he's not going to be the starter in NE anytime soon barring injuries, so he's not anything approaching essential. If he's traded on Tuesday, nothing of importance will have been lost.

After what we saw this year, I am not sure why anyone would feel confident writing off a team as talented as ours if Brady went down. Joe Flacco just won superbowl MVP, 3 months after many people thought his career had already been defined.

Joe Flacco is the worst QB to win a Super Bowl in the last 10 years. Will Mallett be as good as Joe Flacco? The odds would seem to be against that.

Joe Flacco is the worst QB to win a Super Bowl in the last 10 years. Will Mallett be as good as Joe Flacco? The odds would seem to be against that.

I dont disagree, but I still seem to like my chances better with Mallett than most other options out there.

All that to be said, my point was more not to sell for the sake of extra assets unless it really is at a premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore