PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Future At OT

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We need to use re-signs, fa signings and the draft to plan the future.

Onwenu - Perhaps a starting RT, perhaps a starting OG, perhaps a strong backup at both.

Brown - free agent

Wynn - in his contract year. MAJOR ISSUE: Is Wynn an OK starter? He isn't a star; but we don't need to have all stars.

Heron, Cajuste and the others - is there even a decent swing OT here?
=====================
We need to decide how to use cap and draft resources to meet this critical need.

The obvious option is re-sign Brown, draft an OT and HOPE that we have 3 OT's next year. We would have a rookie or Herron as OT this year.

Another is extend Wynn. This frees up cap room. This team always needs 6 starting OL We have often paid starting pay for a swing OT.
============

Last edited:

Onwenu - Perhaps a starting RT, perhaps a starting OG, perhaps a strong backup at both.

Brown - free agent

Wynn - in his contract year. MAJOR ISSUE: Is Wynn an OK starter? He isn't a start; but we don't need to have all stars.

=====================
We need to decide how to use cap and draft resources to meet this critical need.

The obvious option is re-sign Brown, draft an OT and HOPE that we have 3 OT's next year. We would have a rookie or Herron as OT this year.

Another is extend Wynn. This frees up cap room. This team always needs 6 starting OL We have often paid starting pay for a swing OT.
============
As things now stand we definitely need to draft 2 Olineman and add as many as we can get as UDFAs. I'm of the opinion that both lines are priority. A slipping stud here or there at another position is okay, but we need big men that get the job done.

A lot of questions.....The biggest one is what does the coaching staff think Onwenu's best position is, guard or tackle? If tackle, we have our starting RT for hopefully years to come. He was very good there. If we re sign Brown, we can move him to LT or keep Wynn there another year. I thought Herron was good at LT last year, but very bad when he filled in at RT.

For me, I think the ideal line next year would look like this:

T. Brown-Karras-Andrews-Mason-Onwenu

Either way, I think we will need to draft a OT...probably in the mid round area...we've been very good at developing that position.

Brown is our biggest free agent imo. When he is healthy, it doesn't get much better from a tackle. But is it wise to invest in any 300 plus pound man with leg injuries? The thought of Durant and Herron starting is enough to make me give Trent whatever he wants though.

Wynn is the biggest question mark. He isn't elite like we hoped for, but he is much better than this board wants to admit. I would prefer to keep him but I wouldn't be surprised if money prevents that.

Owenu and Cajuste seem to be our future. Owenu isn't a jack of all trades. He is an ace of all trades. Owenu is like our new Joe Thuney in how he is elite wherever you put him. I still don't know how he rode the bench last year.

I kind of think Brown, Owenu, Cajuste, and a draft pick will make up our tackles.

Brown - free agent

Wynn - in his contract year. MAJOR ISSUE: Is Wynn an OK starter? He isn't a start; but we don't need to have all stars.

=====================

============
When did we pay starting $ to a backup T?

A lot of questions.....The biggest one is what does the coaching staff think Onwenu's best position is, guard or tackle? If tackle, we have our starting RT for hopefully years to come. He was very good there. If we re sign Brown, we can move him to LT or keep Wynn there another year. I thought Herron was good at LT last year, but very bad when he filled in at RT.

Either way, I think we will need to draft a OT...probably in the mid round area...we've been very good at developing that position.
Sorry Ashley. But we'll agree to disagree. Karras is a liability. That was shown in the last 2 games against the Bills.

Trent Brown has had major injury issues and weight issues. Brown has missed significant time 4 of the last 5 seasons. When he's not injured and at actual playing weight, he's very good. But when he came back, there was just too many plays where he gave up if the play went the other way or the guy he was blocking got by him..

If the Patriots bring in an O-line Coach who is a hard-ass like Scarnecchia was, then maybe it will work out. But I have zero faith in the combination of Yates/Patricia to be that way.

The Pats could have a dark horse in Desjarlais for LG. Height- wise, he's not what we've typically had there, but he's got the weight at 313 lbs. He was also voted one of the best O-linemen in the CFL last year. He played on the CFL Grey Cup winning Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2019/2021 (2020 CFL season was cancelled). Desjarlais had workouts with 11 teams before the Patriots signed him. The Patriots were the 1st team he had a workout with.

What are you doing with Wynn?

I think it’s going to be Wynn Onwenu Andrews Mason FA(Brown)

If Onwenu is our RT of the future, I prefer Wynn extended, Karras re-signed, fa signed to compete at swing OT, and a draftee in 3rd or 4th.

Wynn, Karras, Andrews, Mason, Onwenu

Brown is our biggest free agent imo. When he is healthy, it doesn't get much better from a tackle. But is it wise to invest in any 300 plus pound man with leg inju.

I kind of think Brown, Owenu, Cajuste, and a draft pick will make up our tackles.
yuch!

The Future At OT:

…is NOT Isaiah Wynn/Lose.

He could be our future at Left Guard IF Bill is willing to admit his mistake…

And for Ganja’s sake people, repeat after me:

Big Mike Onwenu is NOT a Left Guard!

The Future At OT:

…is NOT Isaiah Wynn/Lose.

He could be our future at Left Guard IF Bill is willing to admit his mistake…

And for Ganja’s sake people, repeat after me:

Big Mike Onwenu is NOT a Left Guard!
And Wynn could be starting LT.

Why not let the OL coaches decide where his talent best fits our offense? Or perhaps we should cut him because the captain disagrees with their decisions.

Last edited:
I’d be happy to see NE get a T in the draft. Even if it’s a high pick.

Herron is a capable backup. I don’t know what people want, but while he’ll never set the world on fire : he was a competent LT in a pinch. He’s not the future. He’s fine for a game.

There is no question Wynn is neither Solder, nor Light. He’s not been as good as I’d hoped a first rounder would be… but some of the bashing is unwarranted. He’s not as good as I wish he was, he’s not as bad as some on this board suggest. During the long winning streak last season, Wynn was solid.

Last edited:
If wynn is traded do we save 10m or are we on the hook for it regardless? Wasnt sure of the rules with the 5th yr options

volllmer
cannon
Not really. Cannon made backup money in 2015 and vollmer was gone in 2016.
In 2015 Solder earned 5.6 mill vollmer 7 mill and cannon 2.7 and then in 2016 cannon received starter pay, when he became a starter with a 5 year 32 mill contract.

As things now stand we definitely need to draft 2 Olineman and add as many as we can get as UDFAs. I'm of the opinion that both lines are priority. A slipping stud here or there at another position is okay, but we need big men that get the job done.
I will tell you now. No UDFA OL's will make the 53; but yes, we'll sign them. We need about 12 OL's between the 53 man roster and the Practice Squad. Also, one or two are almost always lost to the IR.

As far as where and how many to draft, I'll wait to make that decision until I see who we re-sign and who we sign as free agents between no and the draft. I do think that 2 is the right number, as you say, one in the first 4 and one late.

Brown's playing time has decreased every year since he left NEP the 1st time. He's a liability. No thanks.

All of the decent FA tackles are 30+ need to find one in the draft.

SmartSelect_20220313-010850_Firefox.jpg

Brown's playing time has decreased every year since he left NEP the 1st time. He's a liability. No thanks.

All of the decent FA tackles are 30+ need to find one in the draft.

View attachment 41715
Sure, let's start a 2022 draftee. In 2023, with Wynn gone, we can start a 2023 draftee. And all the time, we can have Heron and Cajuste as backups. Now THERE'S a plan. NOT!

Sure, let's start a 2022 draftee. In 2023, with Wynn gone, we can start a 2023 draftee. And all the time, we can have Heron and Cajuste as backups. Now THERE'S a plan. NOT!
OK, so let's pay Brown $11M so he can play 8 games. Then what?

OK, so let's pay Brown $11M so he can play 8 games. Then what?
I didn't say to sign Brown. I'm Ok with that if the price is right. We have a backup In Onwenu.

I would extend Wynn, draft an OT early (1st 3 picks), and sign a mid-level free agent (Brown or replacement). I would also sign a veteran JAG to compete with heron and the rest for one of the backup spots.

[As an aside, this is after re-signing Karras. If we don't, we'd need an LG starter, a backup center, and a backup OG.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back