PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The football terminology thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I did.. I figured it was pretty much over when even a mod joined in derailing the thread. :confused:
What you’ve lost in productivity with this thread, you’ve gained in the friendships you’ve made along the way. And, really, that’s invaluable.

I always find it helpful to "see it" as well. Might be my fav player (Sky is the limit w\out Williams!)

1)Long Arm which is all about leverage. Myles is enormous but you'll hear the term "built in leverage" for guys like Donald, Flowers etc who are in that 6'1-6'4 range.

2)Bull Rush, looks like he might hit him w a stab or even a feint but goes right into his BR. Again speaking to leverage look at how low Myles is compared to the OT & I'll bet Garrett is the same size if not bigger.

3)Chop/Club absolutely flithy. At first it looks like a Bob n Swat (Donald's signature move) Man check out the lateral ability & closing speed. He'll be in the HOF one day.

4)Goes for Snatch/Bull Snatch but doesn't get enough of his man so he simply gets low & takes the corner like few can. Garrett's ability to dip is insane at 6'6 almost 300.

5)Rip of speed rush

6)Bull Rush

7)Long Arm, Chops OT outside hand so he has nothing to hold Garrett w & Myles uses an Arm Over to finish it off.

There were some questions about pass rushing techniques last year, so I figure I would start with that.
  1. Bull rush - pretty straightforward. DL punches into the numbers of the OL assigned with blocking him, extends his arms, and drives his man about 3 yards into the defensive backfield before deciding which move is necessary to win. Usually taught early at the pee wee or HS level.
  2. Rip - DL’s hands form a V and he punches into the chest of the OL. This assumes that the DL is able to get his arms inside the OL’s arms. From there, the DL pushes forward with one hand while pulling with the other. This gets the OL out of position and losing leverage. Once leverage is won and the OL is out of position, the DL “rips” the inside arm upward through the OL’s arm.
  3. Swim - Defender must win immediately off the snap to be effective. Defender pins the blocker’s arm and swims through it, upwards or downwards, to win leverage.
  4. Stab and grab - punch at the blocker’s inside arm which forces the blocker to shift. DL then uppercuts into the inside body/armpit and rips.
  5. Club - DL punches and pulls the inside shoulder of the blocker downward, blocker becomes off balanced, and DL clubs the outside shoulder of the blocker and is now through the gap.
All of this just reminded me of Reggie White. Not sure he used the swim move much but he had all the techniques down pat.

Probably the best "Dead Leg" in the country.

Bob n Swat. Check out the footwork. Supposedly learned that lil hop/euro step from Robert Quinn

Reactions: PP2
Bob n Swat. Check out the footwork. Supposedly learned that lil hop/euro step from Robert Quinn

It’s crazy how much basketball translates to football and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back