PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "FAVRE - he's really coming baaack only not in GB" post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say he heads back to his original team and a team desperate for a guy who can shake the clubhouse a bit - The Atlanta Falcons take him back for a year which I could see share time with Schaub out there

Fact is he is still one hell of a QB and in the end, that is where they will have blown it. He will lead some team deep into the playoffs.
He is Drew Bledsoe. He will lead you close and throw a pick at the end.

What has Favre accomplished? He got a SB ring 12 YEARS AGO courtesy of Desmond Howard. Whoopy Doo.

If the Packers are smart, they will grant his request. Get rid of him. Best thing for Green Bay will be Favre playing for the Vikes or Bears. It will be 2007 deja vu with Favre STILL completing passes to guys in a GB uniform.

Can you imagine anything more beautiful than seeing those two dinks (Favre and Mangini) going down in flames together?
Maybe Tomase writing the story of their crashing and burning for his new employer: the North Dakota Sheepdip County Weekly Gazette and SHoppers Coupon Supermaket Handout.

Everybody except hard core Favre jock sniffers think this ego driven QB has put the Packers on the spot.....not the other way around.

Yes, he can still play. He should have realized that before his teary eyed retirement press conference.

I have gone from a Favre fan to a fan who just wishes he would go away.

That being said, he is still better than a lot of QB's still playing......they just don't publicly whine about retiring all the time. Go Bret.....just go.

If you care to lurk around some Packer forums to see what the CheeseHeads are thinking, their fans seem to be slightly on management's side in this debate - which I found very surprising. Even though they have no love for their GM, looks like many don't want Favre back, or at least want him traded for whatever they can get. I think the first site in the list below is their main fan forum, but I could be wrong.

Packer Rats
Packer Chatters
Packer Forum
Packers' Team Web Site
Green Bay Press Gazette
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Brett Favre's Web Site

From reading a few of the posts, it is interesting to note how each side is using reporters and their web site/TV/radio to get their side of the story out in an attempt to sway public opinion. Looks like Favre and his agent are using Chris Mortensen and espn, while Packer management is leaking info to Jay Glazer and FOX Sports. That alone makes me think this divorce may get messy and not end quickly.

I couldn't fathom saying this a decade ago, but it's nice to see the Packers get all the media attention rather than the Patriots right now.

Just doesn't look right :D

brett-1.jpg

I say he heads back to his original team and a team desperate for a guy who can shake the clubhouse a bit - The Atlanta Falcons take him back for a year which I could see share time with Schaub out there

Schaub doesn't play for Atlanta.

End The Hysteria

I think it would be fun to see him in the AFCE.

I came across a few other tidbits of info on Favre. There seems to be a large contingent of Packer fans that playing in cold weather has affected Favre's play down the stretch in the last few years, probably due in part to his age, and that he would really like to play in a warmer climate. If that is true then it would eliminate certain teams like the Bears, Jets, Bills, Ravens, etcetera from consideration.

I also saw one person speculate that if Phillip Rivers is not fully recovered from his off-season surgery that San Diego, being a warm weather team and a Super Bowl contender, would be a perfect fit.

And while fans of half the NFL teams seem to be saying to their GMs, 'bring him here', these stats are being overlooked:

- In this millenium, Favre has thrown 14 TD and 16 INT in the playoffs.
- The all-time NFL interception leader has thrown 100 regular season INT over the last five seasons.
- In the last three regular seasons, Favre has thrown just three more touchdowns than interceptions.
- Favre turns 39 this season.
- Teams still have budgets and the NFL still has a salary cap. If Favre is traded, that team assumes his remaining contract of $39 million, three year contract. If he is released, he is probably going to want a comparable contract.
- For all that say 'bring in Favre and have him groom/mentor our young QB' - did they miss the cold shoulder Favre gave Rodgers in Green Bay, saying it wasn't his job to help Rodgers?

Packers front office, GM, and head coach Mike McCarthy just issued a statement saying the Packers have no plans on releasing Favre.

There are three choices now: 1. Packers FO works out a trade for Favre to a team that isn't in the NFC North. 2: Favre becomes Aaron Rodgers back-up (unlikely). 3: Favre crawls back into retirement.

Out of all of them, option number one is the best possibility IMO.

He's Tampa bound.

That's a prediction.

He's Tampa bound.

That's a prediction.

He'd immediately turn them into contenders, IMO. That defense is still fierce and their offense is adequate (imagine Favre to Galloway). The other rumor was the Doofins, but I can't see him going to Miami because, well, he wouldn't turn them into contenders.

Seems to me they pushed him in March to announce when he really wasn't ready and pushed him hard.

No matter though, he still wants to play, so, they should have welcomed him back or If they didn't want him, at least , out of respect, release him.

Now they have split the fans, team and probably the players too and have a media feeding frenzy going on (nice to see attention leave here for a change).

It's no way to treat a guy who devoted a career to his team.

Fact is he is still one hell of a QB and in the end, that is where they will have blown it. He will lead some team deep into the playoffs.

Actually, Green Bay is doing exactly what it should be doing.

Brett Favre created this situation every year for 4 years. He did it again this year -- not only retiring but privately unretiring in March - right up until the part where he privately retired again in March -- only to unretire (we think) in July (he hasn't actually filed the unretiring paperwork).

Green Bay jerking Brett Favre around??? You have got to be kidding me. What else is Favre (or his apologizers) going to say? He jerks Green Bay management around on a string for years and now management's the bad guy when they unhook the chain? I don't think so.

Everybody except hard core Favre jock sniffers think this ego driven QB has put the Packers on the spot.....not the other way around.

Yes, he can still play. He should have realized that before his teary eyed retirement press conference.

I have gone from a Favre fan to a fan who just wishes he would go away.

That being said, he is still better than a lot of QB's still playing......they just don't publicly whine about retiring all the time. Go Bret.....just go.
That pretty much sums it up for me too.

This is all his own doing. Remember how Joe Buck and Troy Aikman went on and on for 3 hours in 2004 about how the great Favre's career was winding down and how blessed we were to watch Favre and Peyton Manning play against each other. Hell, I even remember watching Sportscenter at the gym in preseason 2003 and they had an interview with him asking if it was his last year.

All of this crap is his own doing, and he is finally reaping what he sowed. I hope to God the Packers FO actually stick to what they said and play Aaron Rodgers while Favre sits and stews on the bench. And I hope Rodgers leads them to an undefeated regular season.

Just leave, Favre. I can't watch any more ESPN specials about what a fabulous human you are.

Last edited:
Favre should be ashamed of himself for pulling this attention craving stunt for half a decade now.

I used to like him but now i despise him.

I'm really starting to think he has some serious personal issues affecting his behavior.

Last edited:
Brett Farve thinks there's nothing worse than ending his career on an interception in the playoffs.

He's wrong.

Actually, Green Bay is doing exactly what it should be doing.

Brett Favre created this situation every year for 4 years. He did it again this year -- not only retiring but privately unretiring in March - right up until the part where he privately retired again in March -- only to unretire (we think) in July (he hasn't actually filed the unretiring paperwork).

Green Bay jerking Brett Favre around??? You have got to be kidding me. What else is Favre (or his apologizers) going to say? He jerks Green Bay management around on a string for years and now management's the bad guy when they unhook the chain? I don't think so.

Green Bay has the choice of cutting Farve, getting nothing in return, and letting him potentially help a division rival get stronger next season (i.e. the Vikings) or holding his rights to retain some control of where he goes and get something in return.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

If Farve really respects the Green Bay organization he'll understand this and not take it personally.

Last edited:
Upon hearing the news that Brett was not retiring, John Madden was found doing lines and drinking shots . While wearing only his Brett Favre azz hat. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey