PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Early Mock - Day One Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of those five linebackers were first day draft picks.

EXACTLY.

BB likes to find his LB's in free agency or trades. Even when it is a need he doesn't bother taking one first day. All you're doing in proving my point, unless Willis falls, the Pats WILL NOT end up with a first day linebacker.

Why the F would the Pats draft a RB, injured or otherwise, in round 2???

Not sure you noticed, but the Pats were down to relying on Heath Evans in a clutch situation during the AFCC. I think its clear why they'd draft a RB at that point. To give them depth that they don't have.

the Pats will pick the highest rated player based on ranking not need- when you draft for need you tend to reach and make mistakes.

If they want to draft need it will be a year of trading of picks to move up and down
This isn't entirely true.

The Patriots develop their own draft board based on need, skill sets of the player and intangibles. They call this best VALUE available.

There was an article in the Globe a few years ago that described how the Pats developed their board. First, they do a horizontal and a vertical seperation by position. Then, they combine it and do a horizontal and vertical seperation by best value. The article was actually quite in depth. I was blown away at how complex it is.

Here comes some cold water.

Mock drafts are fine. But, mocks that include trades are a little over the top. You have to have a trading partner who is ready willing to trade. Assuming someone will trade, with no indication from that team that they are willing, invalidates the whole mock, IMO.

no but a Cato June could? and draft more responsibly instead of need get a talent that can be developed

LB for the patriots is a difficult position and very rarely will a rookie be able to understand it well enough to play it second nature like it is required - If they draft a LB I don't expect him to set in and play anyway

The Patriots don't draft strictly on need or strictly on value. Its irresponsible to say that you should take need into consideration when drafting.

An no, I don't believe a Cato June could in the Pats defense. Maybe BB thinks otherwise. Neither of us knows.

Tampa is going to give us it's second round pick (third selection in second round) and swap its' low third round with our later pick, so that it can move up for a pick? Sounds a little too wishful thinking. Are the Redskins out of low picks?

EXACTLY.

BB likes to find his LB's in free agency or trades. Even when it is a need he doesn't bother taking one first day. All you're doing in proving my point, unless Willis falls, the Pats WILL NOT end up with a first day linebacker.

When people say that the Pats won't do something, they usually do.
Let me remind you of some things.

1) BB won't draft another TE, he has Graham. Result: Pats drafted Watson.
2) BB doesn't like to draft underclassmen. Prior to the 2004 season, BB had drafted 1 underclassman. Patrick Pass. Since 2004, the Pats have drafted quite a few. Including Vince Wilfork, Chad Jackson, and PK Sam.
3) BB doesn't draft interior lineman in the on day 1. Pats draft Logan Mankins to replace Joe Andruzzi.
4) BB doesn't like to draft RBs in the 1st round because of how he got burned with the Browns. Laurence Maroney, come on down.

That is something to keep in mind.

Here comes some cold water.

Mock drafts are fine. But, mocks that include trades are a little over the top. You have to have a trading partner who is ready willing to trade. Assuming someone will trade, with no indication from that team that they are willing, invalidates the whole mock, IMO.

I try to avoid doing trades in my mocks for the same reasons you believe they invalidate the mock. However, I also am conscious of the fact that if I'm not careful, all of my mocks will end up looking exactly the same. I try to make trades that would make sense for the team doing them - Minnesota didn't see anyone they really wanted and wanted more picks, while the Gaints had their eye on a new runningback of the future.

Warren94 said:
Harris is a two down LB, not a four down LB.

I am curious as to why you say this. I have watched Michigan all year and, while Harris is definitely better at run stopping than pass protection, he is still above average at pass coverage. This seems like the style of linebacker we prefer, not the uber-coverage middle linebackers like Urlacher.

mikiemo83 said:
LB for the patriots is a difficult position and very rarely will a rookie be able to understand it well enough to play it second nature like it is required - If they draft a LB I don't expect him to set in and play anyway

This is a great statement and the reasoning behind my drafting philosophy for the Patriots. Neither Moses nor Harris would need to step in right away (especially Moses), and they will both have time to learn the system.

I dont know if June is big enough to be a linebackers on the Pats.

I really believe that the pats will sign a LB in free agency this year. I think since it is an area where they don't like to draft, they will open up the wallets, and be willing to pay for an adalius thomas or briggs. I don't think they'll trump people's offers, but they will be competitve.

My prediction (hope), we bring in 2 LBs, a high profile one (thomas or briggs), and maybe the next vrabel (jarrett johnson perhaps) or lower profile lb (fletcher-baker).

When people say that the Pats won't do something, they usually do.
Let me remind you of some things

Well everyone is saying they will be drafting a linebacker, so I assume that they won't? Face it. Linebacke is the most important position for the Pats D, a rookie isn't going to do anything, and Belichick will probably not take one on the first day. Even if he wanted to who do you suggest we take?

Willis will be gone
DE to OLB conversions are hard to make, so Moses and Woodley are off the list.
The rest are too undersized.

That being said I know BB will do whatever is best for the Pats, and he doesn't miss in the first round, so if he thinks that a linebacker is best there, then so be it, I'd be willing to bet that linebacker will be a star. BB doesn't miss in the first round, so we should have faith....

Seymour- all-time great
Warren- pro bowl worthy
Wilfork- pro bowl worthy
Mankins- pro bowl worthy, best interior lineman in league according to Dr. Z
Graham- best TE blocker in league, solid catching
Maroney- has shown flashes, budding star
Watson- has shown flashes, budding star

because he is the best player available maybe. kinda like why we draft 2 tight ends every year

have u ever watched the pats draft?

Well everyone is saying they will be drafting a linebacker, so I assume that they won't? Face it. Linebacke is the most important position for the Pats D, a rookie isn't going to do anything, and Belichick will probably not take one on the first day. Even if he wanted to who do you suggest we take?

Willis will be gone
DE to OLB conversions are hard to make, so Moses and Woodley are off the list.
The rest are too undersized.

WOW. I think you should be crowned the next Ms. Cleo since you can see into the future and KNOW what is going to happen.

1) The Pats will take the top ranked player out of their top ranked value group that is still on the board when they pick. I don't know who that will be.

2) There is no guarantee that Willis will be gone by the time the Pats draft.

3) Besides Willis, there is Posluszny for ILB, Spencer and Adams for OLB, just in the 1st round

4) In the second round, you have David Harris, Prescott Burgess, and others.

I believe that the Pats will take a LB who can step in and help in the rotation and start if absolutely necessary. Over the 6 years, the Pats have lost Bruschi, Cox, Phifer, Seau, and Ted Johnson at one point or another to injury. Up until last year, they had the depth to cover such a loss. They haven't anymore. And their attempts at free agents the past 2 seasons have met with failure.

That being said I know BB will do whatever is best for the Pats, and he doesn't miss in the first round, so if he thinks that a linebacker is best there, then so be it, I'd be willing to bet that linebacker will be a star. BB doesn't miss in the first round, so we should have faith....

Seymour- all-time great
Warren- pro bowl worthy
Wilfork- pro bowl worthy
Mankins- pro bowl worthy, best interior lineman in league according to Dr. Z
Graham- best TE blocker in league, solid catching
Maroney- has shown flashes, budding star
Watson- has shown flashes, budding star

This is something we both agree on. The Pats like to build on the lines with their 1st round picks. However, with them nearly set on both lines, that switched us to the other positions on the team. And I agree, BB will do what is best. Its why they took Maroney last year. Its why I think that they will take a LB with 1 of the 2 picks this year. I think that BB could surprise us and use BOTH 1st rounders on LBs. One inside and one outside with the knowledge that the OLB is going to have more production their 1st year than the ILB. And the ILB will be someone who can cover TEs and learn from Bruschi.

Its also why I feel the Pats will sign someone like Jarrett Johnson. Someone who can play ILB opposite Bruschi and learn from Bruschi and Vrabel.

And its also why I don't see the Pats retaining TBC.

Last edited:
Baloney. Both Vrabel and Colvin are under contract for next year.

http://www.patscap.com/futureyears.html

You are right but TBC has become a starter, and will likely be re-signed. He may only be a starter but I think he will grow into a star with more playing experience, as he can pass rush for a sack a game in pass coverage. He is already acceptable versus the run at him; He needs to develop a little better in pass coverage and he can.

I honestly believe the New England Patriots will either select a linebacker or free safety with the 24th pick overall.

I think they'll pick a safety. They may even move up to get one.

3 Cleveland: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame: The Browns’ future is not in Charlie Frye, and Quinn could do well in a similar offensive system with the Browns.

For your future mocks, I just read a blog out of Houston that has this to say:

Someone well-connected with the Browns has convinced me that they want Adrian Peterson desperately, which depresses me. I was hoping the Oklahoma running back might slip through the cracks and fall to the eighth spot so the Texans could get him, but now I don't think so.
Obviously, it could be a smokescreen but...for your next mock, plug him in at @3 and see what you get. :)

Appreciate your efforts...

How old is Corey Dillon again?

We're not sure Maroney is an every down back, plus we know he's not a big, smashmouth type runner. Dillon and Maroney complement each other really well. I think it's more likely we take Brian Leonard in the 2nd than Bush though. Anybody who watched the Senior Bowl can tell you Leonard is the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down