PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The dysfunctional mess of “coaching” Mac Jones

Since there a bazillion posts from supposed "sources" saying ****

Bostonians, tell me, is it like this for all sports over there? I know BB ran a tight ship, at least very few leaked information would get out. Now, not even the mice are staying on the sinking ship

Im starting to think that Mayo is going to get ****ed by this **** sooner rather than later. It's barely one week since the BB era, and this midia is literally revisioning history left and right just because.

Boy, you old timers were always saying to be thankful for this "era of success". I might have to bow down here, these mike-talkers are ****ing insufferable already, imagine if we do have to go through one, or two, or three losing seasons. Ugh
Yes, it’s been like this in the Boston media forever. Ted Williams got upset with writers in the 1940s and 50s. It hasn’t gotten much better since then.

Mac didn't get the support he needed, but we need a new start there, maybe he can hang on as a backup and improve his game or maybe we can get a pick for him but we need a new QB.

Bostonians, tell me, is it like this for all sports over there? I know BB ran a tight ship, at least very few leaked information would get out. Now, not even the mice are staying on the sinking ship

Im starting to think that Mayo is going to get ****ed by this **** sooner rather than later. It's barely one week since the BB era, and this midia is literally revisioning history left and right just because.

Boy, you old timers were always saying to be thankful for this "era of success". I might have to bow down here, these mike-talkers are ****ing insufferable already, imagine if we do have to go through one, or two, or three losing seasons. Ugh
This is 100% the reason why Belichick never gave these neanderthals anything. They are overly concerned with causing drama so they can get paid. They are no different than the influencer tik tok people who take other people's content.

It's worse than it used to be but consider this and consider how crazy it was even back then. Sean McDonough's Dad (Will McDonough) used to write for the Boston Globe. Every year, you'd pick up the newspaper on the Friday before the NFL draft, and he would make a prediction of who the Patriots were going to pick. He would mostly get it right. When the whole thing changed between Kraft and Parcells, McDonough was actually livid at Kraft that he received misinformation of Parcells before the draft. He actually blamed Kraft for making him look like an idiot in his annual "prediction."

Yes, it’s been like this in the Boston media forever. Ted Williams got upset with writers in the 1940s and 50s. It hasn’t gotten much better since then.
Knights of the keyboard

Can't both be true (poor coaching and poor play)? I'm not saying that Jones would have been All-Pro, but he clearly was promising as a rookie. Since then he has cleary regressed and the team has continued to worsen for three years (or more). It isn't just the offense. The entire operation has shown ineptitude. The 2022 offensive coaching plan would have been a fireable offense for most head coaches, but we expect success from Bellichik given his history. Expecting a left tackle who only plays when he feels like it and having no plan for a right tackle who could start (while retaining 16 million under the Cap) was nearly as bad, and left Mac, how was already shaken, exposed. And what about special teams? The Pats special teams were statistically in the top 12 for twenty straight seasons once Bellichick took over in Foxboro, and consistently among the very best by many other assessments (see Rich Gosselin). In the last three years they have been woeful. Year after year, the Pats have committed more resources to special teams than nearly any other franchise and still have been terrible. Is Mac at fault for this as well or could it be the coaching? Question: if you are the Pats coach and you assume, as you should have before this season began, that they'd play in a lot of close games, do you jettison the most reliable kicker in football and draft a rookie to fill that slot, knowing that historically nearly all rookie kickers are subpar during year #1? And let's not even discuss the receivers. Truth is, they are bereft of talent throughout the offense, undisciplined on special teams, and just very good on defense. But mostly, they have been undisciplined and poorly coached.

Bill Bellichick is, in my judgement, the best coach in the history of team sports never mind just football. Given the NFL's relentless attempts to achieve parity, doing what the Pats did for two decades was nearly impossible. I feel lucky to have born witness. But the man is 72 and times change. We all age, and younger men catch up. The Pats didn't fall off a cliff. It's been going on for a while; given our run of success, we Patriots fans just couldn't believe our "lyin eyes". Ultimately, Bill ruined Mac Jones. It's likely that Mac would have been mediocre anyway, but he never got a chance.

Mac jones cooked his future with BB when he revealed state secrets to people outside the organization!

Mac Jones is a system QB that needs competent players around him and a competent offensive scheme. All those interceptions when he was throwing off his back foot shows no confidence on the offensive line that BB the GM built!!!!

Yes. This reminds me strongly of something relatively recent, when Terry Francona was fired by the Red Sox.

This is 100% the reason why Belichick never gave these neanderthals anything. They are overly concerned with causing drama so they can get paid. They are no different than the influencer tik tok people who take other people's content.

It's worse than it used to be but consider this and consider how crazy it was even back then. Sean McDonough's Dad (Will McDonough) used to write for the Boston Globe. Every year, you'd pick up the newspaper on the Friday before the NFL draft, and he would make a prediction of who the Patriots were going to pick. He would mostly get it right. When the whole thing changed between Kraft and Parcells, McDonough was actually livid at Kraft that he received misinformation of Parcells before the draft. He actually blamed Kraft for making him look like an idiot in his annual "prediction."
Very cool story, thanks

Mac lacks mobility, lacks arm strength and has little mental toughness. Season 1 bb had to hold his hand after a game. Rarely have seen QBs crying... Mac and Caleb

Whether or not Mac Jones could have become a good or even a functional starter with another team, there is no denying that Belichick did everything possible to ruin him. I used to say that the Pats followed the playbook on how bad teams ruin young QBs to a T, but I think they may have added several new chapters to the handbook if this story is true.

The thing is two things can be true. Mac jones could never have been the guy and may have flamed out anyway.

but no one can tell me how the patriots handled him was the right way to handle a rookie QB. Fans used to laugh at other teams for ruining QB's and giving them multiple coaches and OC's now they are silent...

1. give them 3 OC's in 3 years. one of which being a DC/SPecial teams coordinator who never ran offense before.
2. Fail to invest in the offense. give them average receivers and a bunch of JAGS on the OL.

Mac Jones is Tua....without the elite weapons. Now maybe all that gets you is blown out in the wild card because I think Tua was exposed. But I see no differences between them both.

But say we get Drake Maye. would the entire board be happy if we give him patricia/judge and Juju/Parker? I highly doubt it.

The thing is two things can be true. Mac jones could never have been the guy and may have flamed out anyway.

but no one can tell me how the patriots handled him was the right way to handle a rookie QB. Fans used to laugh at other teams for ruining QB's and giving them multiple coaches and OC's now they are silent...

1. give them 3 OC's in 3 years. one of which being a DC/SPecial teams coordinator who never ran offense before.
2. Fail to invest in the offense. give them average receivers and a bunch of JAGS on the OL.

Mac Jones is Tua....without the elite weapons. Now maybe all that gets you is blown out in the wild card because I think Tua was exposed. But I see no differences between them both.

But say we get Drake Maye. would the entire board be happy if we give him patricia/judge and Juju/Parker? I highly doubt it.
What exactly do you think they're going to give him? Bill O'Brien and Lavishka Shenault?

What exactly do you think they're going to give him? Bill O'Brien and Lavishka Shenault?

whats your point? would you rather have Patricia never having coached offense try and teach a rookie QB?

maybe its McDaniels, maybe O'brien. but an actual OC and maybe keeping consistency each year is better. or is 3 OC's and a DC/special teams combo is a great plan to develop a rookie QB?

we used to make fun of the jets for stuff like this. constantly firing coaches/OC and now its the best way to develop a rookie! why do we have to play pretend that it was adequate or good?

One difference between Tua and Mac is Tua seems mentally tougher than Mac. Otherwise, I think they are pretty much the same guy.

But I don't know if a mentally tough QB would be able to thrive in the situation that Mac has been given the last two years. They might have been far better in handling the adversity, but everything was stacked against both Mac and Zappe this year.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back