PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are you thinking? He should be available for our 2nd second, or even in the 3rd.

EDIT: Sorry, others have addressed.

Plenty of quality blockers later on in the draft. We could still get a combo tight end, but we may have to settle for someone more like Witten than another Gronk (or even Kittle).

Last edited:
i think its first and foremost a numbers issue

we didn't see any of our rookies this year due to injury, so we have like 4 of them that will absolutely be on roster, and what another 4 that may be depending on camp performance? so lets go with 6 rookies from last year

we have what 11 picks this year? say we lose 2 to injury, thats 9, say 2 don't make the roster due to camp perfomance, that leave 7

so thats a total of 13 players in their 1st or 2nd year that would need to make the roster...that's too many players for a 53 man roster

so we will either be trading up and reducing the number of pics we have, or trading picks down to go into next year, or trading picks for veterans

i expect all 3 of the scenarios to actually take place just because there are too many young players for us to deal with already, and we want to give them some time to evaluate them effectively

i expect brown isn't resigned, but we do the same thing w/ Wynn due to injury and send a pick to another team for an average LT for a 1 year rental while Wynn gets ready to start which will either happen within the season, or after the first year being healthy

i expect we trade up for some good players with immediate need/high potential, TE could fit in this, i don't think QB is yet in this category

we will then also move down and bolster next year's draft so that its a bit more even, so i expect that will go from 7 picks normally to 8/9, we will prob get 2-3 high comp picks again

so: 2 trade ups (uses up 4 picks this year), 1 trade down (move from this year to next), 2 trades for vets leaves us with 6 actual picks in this years draft, 2 picks for 2 vets exchange, and 1 pick moved to next year...

i think most likely positions for vet exchange are: WR, LB, DT/DE
i think most likely positions for draft picks: TE, LB, OL, S

so i think we're only really concerned with 6 actual selections this year, even though we have 11/12 picks

A PatsCat.

PmH27TKg_mGHPiyOJZdO24EmjUjVyjrxCoNubLH6XFI.jpg

Kyler Murray has officially declared

if the reports are true that Belichick fell in love with Mayfield last year, this could be interesting imo.

if the reports are true that Belichick fell in love with Mayfield last year, this could be interesting imo.

I’d be surprised if we went after him. His size worries me the most.

I’d be surprised if we went after him. His size worries me the most.
It's a concern. However on the plus side the guy is an A+ athlete and can throw the football very well. Nothing like Lamar Jackson. It will be interesting what exactly he measures in at the combine.

If size is the only concern people are talking about, he is an incredible talent though and if he is still there either directly at 1.32 or in the neighbourhood of that where trading up won't that expensive I think you have to give it a serious thought.

It's a concern. However on the plus side the guy is an A+ athlete and can throw the football very well. Nothing like Lamar Jackson. It will be interesting what exactly he measures in at the combine.

If size is the only concern people are talking about, he is an incredible talent though and if he is still there either directly at 1.32 or in the neighbourhood of that where trading up won't that expensive I think you have to give it a serious thought.

No, you don't. This kid took until today to say he was committed to football over baseball. That's the kiss of a death in a Belichick run world.

Murray's not committed enough to being a football player. At the Heisman awards he told reporters he wants to play both sports professionally. I don't think the Patriots would ever select a QB who had one eye on the door. This isn't special teamer Nate Ebner asking to play Olympic rugby.

Belichick will draft Kyle Shurmur at QB out of Vanderbilt. My guess is that he'll be available at one of those 3rd-round picks. He has the size (6-5, 220), smarts, and is Pat Shurmur's son. Not many kids come into the draft with that kind of guidance. He'll be coachable. He's not the most talented kid around, but in this situation, he could turn out fine. (It'll never happen. Belichick watches for my draft predictions and sticks it to me every year.)

Belichick will draft Kyle Shurmur at QB out of Vanderbilt. My guess is that he'll be available at one of those 3rd-round picks. He has the size (6-5, 220), smarts, and is Pat Shurmur's son. Not many kids come into the draft with that kind of guidance. He'll be coachable. He's not the most talented kid around, but in this situation, he could turn out fine. (It'll never happen. Belichick watches for my draft predictions and sticks it to me every year.)

Based on those highlights, I don’t like this kid at all.

Last edited:
Murray's not committed enough to being a football player. At the Heisman awards he told reporters he wants to play both sports professionally. I don't think the Patriots would ever select a QB who had one eye on the door. This isn't special teamer Nate Ebner asking to play Olympic rugby.

Clayton Thorson

Clayton Thorson

Northwestern's Clayton Thorson is another smart kid, good size, top-level competition in the Big Ten with good results. Thorson set the record for most starts by a Big Ten QB. I'd be very happy if either Thorson or Shurmur get drafted. Walter Football has Thorson going as high as the 2nd round. With Jimmy G gone, maybe Belichick trades up in the 2nd to get him. He has the picks to make that trade.

Mayfield had 40+ starts in 4 years. He's also 2" taller and 20 pounds heavier.

Mayfield had 40+ starts in 4 years. He's also 2" taller and 20 pounds heavier.

And Murray still played better than Mayfield ever did, even with limited experience.

What do you guys think of Brett Rypien? He seems to have a really good arm and quick release and should be available rounds 3-5....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes