PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The dominance of Le'Veon Bell, and why containing Pittsburgh's run game should be the first priority

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're both going to make plays, but yes, I'd imagine that Brown will have Butler and safety help, while Chung plays closer to the line and spies Bell. As you said, there will be an attempt at limiting both of them, but I also think that the OP is correct in his assessment of Bell's likely prioritization from the defense, at least in 1a and 1b terms, anyway.

I believe that it is Ryan with safety help.

Doesn't Butler usually have the #2 receiver with no help?

I think if Patriots blanket contain Brown and Bell the receiver and give leeway to Bell the runner, Steelers are more likely to get 3's than 7's.

I believe that it is Ryan with safety help.

Doesn't Butler usually have the #2 receiver with no help?
Butler has covered Antonio Brown with safety help in the most recent 2 matchups.

Bertrand and Zo just played a clip of Mike Lombardi. He thinks the Pats should be more worried about Bell getting loose and catching the football against Van Noy or McLellin. Is it that obvious of a mismatch?

• Agree
Reactions: SVN
Bertrand and Zo just played a clip of Mike Lombardi. He thinks the Pats should be more worried about Bell getting loose and catching the football against Van Noy or McLellin. Is it that obvious of a mismatch?
It's fairly bad. As much as the defense has improved post Collins, having him to play that role would be nice (although Collins had his fair share of being beaten in coverage by RB too).

It's fairly bad. As much as the defense has improved post Collins, having him to play that role would be nice (although Collins had his fair share of being beaten in coverage by RB too).

Would expect this to continue on Sunday. A LB (Van Noy/Hightower) or McCourty also possible.

It will be interesting to see how they cover bell in the passing game.If they put chung and ladarius green plays, our LBs on their TEs will be a mismatch. A lot depends on how todd haley is calling the game. I remember last yr in the opening game they were moving the ball at will but haley would suddenly call some trick play which hurt them. IF haley calls a normal game, we have a tough game on our hands to win.

A look at pittsburgh's oline vs jones and collins from last yr.

Last edited:
Just curious, what's the best way to stop him and that running style of his? What do you think BB and Patricia will do? My guess would be making sure everyone stays home and stays in their gaps. Discipline.

Just curious, what's the best way to stop him and that running style of his? What do you think BB and Patricia will do? My guess would be making sure everyone stays home and stays in their gaps. Discipline.

Gap discipline is essential in slowing down Bell and his “hunt and peck” running style, as Bill Belichick called it last time. The Patriots held Bell to 3.9 yards per carry and 6.8 yards per reception in October, and got stingy inside the red zone, limiting the Steelers to one touchdown in four possessions. The Patriots held him to one of his lowest YPA of the season, and limited his big home run threat - his longest play of the game was 12 yards. I'd be more than satisfied with that same kind of production.

But the key to containing Bell is with a two gap philosophy. In a two gap, each player is assigned two gaps - so each gap will have two players assigned to it. Bell's bread and butter comes from dancing around in the backfield and waiting for a defender to over pursue. There will be times when he gets that opening, but no coaching staff in the league coaches gap discipline better than NE's. It's a big part of being a NE defender, and why Jamie Collins was shipped out to Cleveland - he was freelancing on a lot of plays, penetrating when he should have exhibited gap discipline (because he was looking to make a big play) and therefore gave up huge plays as a result.

Two gapping + letting the LBs fill the hole should be pretty effective - and it was in the first meeting. Luckily, we've got the personnel to be effective in doing so - Alan Branch, Malcom Brown, and Trey Flowers were all dominant this year against the run (with Valentine substituting at DT on some plays). In PFF rankings, Branch and Brown finished second and third among all defensive tackles in run-stop percentage, while Flowers finished 10th among edge players. And our Linebackers have all been stout against the run - Hightower has been a monster vs the run for the last 3 seasons, while Elandon Roberts has carved out a role as a formidable run-stopping linebacker, with amazing downhill and tackling ability.

The Patriots held Bell to 3.9 yards per carry and 6.8 yards per reception in October, and got stingy inside the red zone, limiting the Steelers to one touchdown in four possessions. The Patriots held him to one of his lowest YPA of the season, and limited his big home run threat - his longest play of the game was 12 yards. I'd be more than satisfied with that same kind of production.
But I am sure they werent worried about landry jones which helped them commit more towards bell.

I think we're better-suited than most to limit Bell's damage. We're not going to stop him, frankly nobody can, but I think our personnel and scheme are pretty much designed to to keep someone like him in check. To account in order, his two biggest assets are:

1) patience as a runner. He'll wait until a hole opens up, and in pretty much any one-gap defensive front a hole will open up sooner or later. The solution here is to maintain gap integrity. Hold up at the LOS, don't give him any easy holes, and rely on the LBs to make plays. Between Branch, Valentine, and Brown, we have the bulk up front to pull that off, and it's part of a defensive philosophy that's been copre to Belichick-coached teams dating back 15+ years. If any team can execute this gameplan, it really should be us.

This also requires you to have at least one LB that can reliably diagnose the play, take on an offensive lineman, and not get utterly dominated. We have that in Hightower, and Chung being as good as he is in run support is big here too. McCourty being as rangy as he is also indirectly helps a lot here, since it should allow Chung to play closer to the LOS than a lot of teams can allow for their SS against Pittsburgh's passing attack.

2) ability to flex out as a receiver. Very few teams have a LB who's both physical enough to not be overmatched in the running game and athletic enough to credibly cover him in space. We have that LB in Hightower, and to a lesser extent McClellin should be at least fairly credible here if called upon.

A huge part of Bell's effectiveness is that most teams have LB rotations with various guys who can fill one role or the other, but not both, so you just wait for the defensive to declare what it intends to stop and do the other thing. As long as Hightower plays a full game, they should find themselves unable to do that, at least to the extent that they're used to. You're never attacking a weakness with him, because frankly he doesn't have any.

Also, as someone who's watched a lot of Bell over the past couple years (he's one of my favorite players to watch, it's kind of a guilty pleasure), if he does have anything resembling a weakness in his game it's that he doesn't have blazing speed. He has fantastic acceleration, but he tops out pretty quickly, and it limits the damage he's able to do on any individual play. If he does beat you off the LOS and is running with some empty space in front of him, you're probably looking at a 25-30 yard gain rather than the 60 yard touchdown that some of the other elites will get you. I think that bodes well for us, because if they aren't consistently beating us on a snap-to-snap basis due to mismatches, and the occasional miscues aren't completely swinging the game, then I think you have the recipe for an overall credible defensive performance - the kind that leads to a win as long as your offense and ST don't play uncharacteristically bad games.

Key is safety and cb blitzes to get in behind him and tackle him while he's hunting and pecking. Tackle him from behind at the knees, that'll stop him

Good discussion with steeler fans here
2017 AFCCG Opponent Discussion Thread • /r/steelers
One of them thinks their rooke nose tackle will be big in applying inside pressure and another feels they have fixed a lot of problems related to defending the short passing game

Yeah but not many teams have Edelman and Amendola. I wouldn't be feeling very confident if I was a Steelers fan.

Yeah but not many teams have Edelman and Amendola. I wouldn't be feeling very confident if I was a Steelers fan.
Some quotes from the thread FWIW
Houston gave us the blue print on how to beat New England. At the end of the day, I honestly feel if New England plays flawlessly and we play flawlessly, the pull it the W by 1 score. The key is pressure and don't give Brady time. Dupree Harrison and Mitchell will be key players. If they consistently hit Brady, or in Mitchell's case recievers, they will hesitate every time they feel a steeler near them. On offense, we just need to ride the horse that got us here. Feed Bell. Keep the pressure off Ben so that when we do throw, the play action is there. I'm not too worried about offense. The defense needs to step up and get in Brady's head like Houston did.
No, BUT the Steelers D has been a completely different animal since around week 9. We have gotten Shazier and Dupree back full time, Harrison has been getting all of the snaps instead of sharing with Jarvis Jones and our 3 rookies are playing less like rookies. I don't know what this means in terms of W or L for this game but I wouldn't look at season long stats as indicative of where the Steelers D is at right now.

I know that advanced stats are iffy to a lot of people but the ANY/A stat for defenses which has had some correlative value with playoff teams the steelers are at a 4.72 since the Cowboys game in week 10. For reference last year's Broncos came in at 4.71. This is definitely an improved defense.
Our rushing offense is ranked around 14th too because it averages in the first half of the season. Everything changed after Week 9.
The two teams are way, way closer than most people seem to think.

The Patriots #1 scoring defense is a mirage and they don't have a very good pass rush which is going to be a big problem for them considering how good the Steeler OL is. Barring Roethlisberger having a meltdown he should be able to move the chains against them by virtue of his receivers having time to get open and there's just no stopping Le'Veon Bell who is on fire right now. They have a good secondary so the Steelers might not throw up a massive point total or score in bunches but they will score on New England and by leaning on Bell they can keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

On the other side of the ball the Steelers are the best equipped defense left in the playoffs to slow Tom Brady down as they can do the three things that have given the Patriots trouble in the past. They can get pressure up the middle due to their strong front 7, get pressure without selling out blitzing due to James Harrison and their athletic linebackers, and they can get physical with the Patriots quick receivers to knock them off their game. They also have a really good run D which will limit the effectiveness of the Patriots running game and force them to beat them by passing the ball.

If the Steelers can run the ball, not have multiple turnovers, and avoid silly mistakes on defense they can turn this game into a grind which plays to their strengths more than it does the Patriots. These are two evenly matched teams in those kinds of games the team with the better OL usually wins.
Watch out for Javon Hargrave. He may give you guys some trouble this weekend. Dude is a rookie but is a stud when he's in.
So maybe their defense is really as good. Who knows.

Steelers fans are funny.

On one hand, they want to point out that we "didn't face any good QBs" in the regular season and that we haven't seen a QB the quality of Roethlisberger yet...

Then they go ahead and say that Bell is an unstoppable monster and that he's going to tear our D-Line up...

So if Bell is the main reason you're going to "beat us", what does a "great QB" have to do with it? Once Bell has the ball, Roethlberger is irrelevant.

A great QB means nothing if you handing the ball off every play.

So if we play their game and focus on rushing, we've held 5 of the top 10 rushing leaders in the league to under 100 yards, Bell included.

But apprently our D is "overrrated" because we played whatever QB was on the schedule....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes