PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The dominance of Le'Veon Bell, and why containing Pittsburgh's run game should be the first priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this guy serious? Miller averaged only 3.8 yards per carry. If we can hold Bell to that kind of average (below 4 yards per carry), I will gladly accept that.

FYI, In Week 7, Bell was held to 81 yds on 21 carries (3.9 yds avg) and we won that game

Kansas city seemed to slow him down when they pinched together on the line. Not really a fan of the dancing with the stars approach. Talented guy with pass/run, though.

Bell won't get 100+ yards imo. The defense is very good at stopping the run and they will be up for the challenge of stopping that running game.

I'm more concerned about Bell taking a wheel route for first downs. The Pats have been vulnerable to pass catching backs.... let's hope they are just as prepared for that.

The OP is suggesting that the best player is Bell rather than Brown.

Exactly. Brown and Bell never get a defense's full attention thanks to the presence of the other -- but thanks to his versatility, Bell is the more consistently threatening player. He is almost as good a receiver as he is a runner and that extra dimension makes him much tougher than Brown to stop.

And Brown's reliance on Roethlisberger is exactly why Bell should be viewed as the bigger threat. Big Ben hasn ust hasn't been himself this season. He's forcing more throws and his accuracy has appeared to regress.

Bell won't get 100+ yards imo. The defense is very good at stopping the run and they will be up for the challenge of stopping that running game.

I'm more concerned about Bell taking a wheel route for first downs. The Pats have been vulnerable to pass catching backs.... let's hope they are just as prepared for that.

Bell is going to get his yards, no matter what. He's just that kind of player. He’s the first player in NFL history to average both 100 yards rushing and 50 yards receiving per game. And the Patriots have not stopped him from accumulating yardages on the ground and on t. Bell had 149 total yards in the Week 7 game, and 139 in a 2013 game. But the Patriots won both games, by an average of 17.5 points, because they minimized Bell’s big plays and blanketed Brown with deep safety coverage.

I would LOVE to have someone break down the inside run game of the Steelers that does so well. On the broadcast they pointed out that they always create 2 double teams and let Bell react off them. One quick way to combat that is to move your DL on the snap of the ball. It makes it difficult to create double teams. The downside is that it can open gaps IF your LB's are less than perfect in their discipline. So it isn't something you want to do every play. Rushing your DL upfield also has its pit falls if a tackle is missed or a gap not filled. But it can be effective in small doses.

Gap discipline is essential in slowing down Bell and his “hunt and peck” running style, as Bill Belichick called it last time. The Patriots held Bell to 3.9 yards per carry and 6.8 yards per reception in October, and got stingy inside the red zone, limiting the Steelers to one touchdown in four possessions. The Patriots held him to one of his lowest YPA of the season, and limited his big home run threat - his longest play of the game was 12 yards. I'd be more than satisfied with that same kind of production.

But the key to containing Bell is with a two gap philosophy. In a two gap, each player is assigned two gaps - so each gap will have two players assigned to it. Bell's bread and butter comes from dancing around in the backfield and waiting for a defender to over pursue. There will be times when he gets that opening, but no coaching staff in the league coaches gap discipline better than NE's. It's a big part of being a NE defender, and why Jamie Collins was shipped out to Cleveland - he was freelancing on a lot of plays, penetrating when he should have exhibited gap discipline (because he was looking to make a big play) and therefore gave up huge plays as a result.

Two gapping + letting the LBs fill the hole should be pretty effective - and it was in the first meeting. Luckily, we've got the personnel to be effective in doing so - Alan Branch, Malcom Brown, and Trey Flowers were all dominant this year against the run (with Valentine substituting at DT on some plays). In PFF rankings, Branch and Brown finished second and third among all defensive tackles in run-stop percentage, while Flowers finished 10th among edge players. And our Linebackers have all been stout against the run - Hightower has been a monster vs the run for the last 3 seasons, while Elandon Roberts has carved out a role as a formidable run-stopping linebacker, with amazing downhill and tackling ability.

They should use cb blitzes to tackle him from behind while he's dancing.

Hmmm...I don't see why they can't shut down both Bell and Brown, considering the total lack of confidence between Ben and the rest of those JAGs. I normally wouldn't think you could take away two superstars, but Pittsburgh sure has looked terrible in offense many times, especially o
n the road.
They're both going to make plays, but yes, I'd imagine that Brown will have Butler and safety help, while Chung plays closer to the line and spies Bell. As you said, there will be an attempt at limiting both of them, but I also think that the OP is correct in his assessment of Bell's likely prioritization from the defense, at least in 1a and 1b terms, anyway.

Even if Bell runs for 125 or so, that is more than manageable.
Possibly, but as you know, it would depend on the specifics.

If he's limited to 125 yards on 30 carries, then yeah, we're probably on the right track. If he's limited to 125 yards on 25 carries, he's still banging out 5 yards a carry.

He could also have 2 or 3 bigger runs (20+) which prove to be difference makers, even if he's held to only 80 yards on 22 other carries.

Your point is quite valid though, as he's pretty much getting 125 right off the bat, with another 40-50 in receiving yards. This of course, proves the OP's point even more that containing Bell raises our chances dramatically.

The OP is suggesting that the best player is Bell rather than Brown.

I'm not sure that's what he implied, but I agree with the OP that shutting down Bell is clearly a key to this game. The Steelers rushed 34 times against the Chiefs - 30 by Bell, 4 by Roethlisberger. When the emphasis is on one guy, it's pretty easy to focus attention on him, especially with so many sure-handed tacklers in the Patriots' front seven.

Absolutely no one is talking about the Patriots backfield which is much more complicated to defense. White, Lewis, Blount and Develin present so many options for Josh to exploit blitzes or poor gap discipline.

Kansas city seemed to slow him down when they pinched together on the line. Not really a fan of the dancing with the stars approach. Talented guy with pass/run, though.

Bell reminds me of Laurence Maroney.

Bell is going to get his yards, no matter what. He's just that kind of player. He’s the first player in NFL history to average both 100 yards rushing and 50 yards receiving per game. And the Patriots have not stopped him from accumulating yardages on the ground and on t. Bell had 149 total yards in the Week 7 game, and 139 in a 2013 game. But the Patriots won both games, by an average of 17.5 points, because they minimized Bell’s big plays and blanketed Brown with deep safety coverage.

Agreed and I meant that he probably won't get 100+ on the ground. Hopefully they have an answer for when he goes out wide on screens and wheel routes.

Mike is right, but having Chung close enough to provide run support is gonna be pivotal.

Is it readonable to expect us to play the run, and still leave enough defenders in coverage to double-team Antonio Brown?

Last edited:

Mike is right, but having Chung close enough to provide run support is gonna be pivotal.

Is it readonable to expect us to play the run, and still leave enough defenders in coverage to double-team Antonio Brown?

Here's another thing no one is talking about. Landrys performance at home was about what Bens performance has been on the road.

People keep thinking Ben is Ben. He's not. I just wish reporters would do their bleeping jobs properly.

Here's another thing no one is talking about. Landrys performance at home was about what Bens performance has been on the road.

???

Not sure I follow, Viper

???

Not sure I follow, Viper
He's saying Ben has crazy splits.

116.7 at home. 78.4 on the road. Landry Jones vs. NE was 76.6.

116.7 would be second in the league. He's been great at home.
78.4 would be 27th. Between Blake Bortles and Case Keenum. He's been horrible.

FWIW his ratings were 105.7 at home, 86.0 on the road last year. 114.8, 91.0 the year before.

So this is a trend although it's exacerbated this year.

Brady ? 112.6 at home, 111.9 on the road.

Ben's road opponents ?

Bengals, Bills, Colts, Browns, Ravens, Dolphins, Eagles, Redskins.

Its not so much the yardage, I mean if Bell breaks 1 for 60 yards its not going to dictate the game. However if he has 22 carries for 100 yards, that most likely means that the steelers were either 1 possession behind or leading most of the game.

There is always the chance he just breaks 1 play for 60 yards and then gets 30 yards the rest of the game.

I am more concerned about the check down passes to bell going for 10-12 yards a wack.

He's saying Ben has crazy splits.

116.7 at home. 78.4 on the road. Landry Jones vs. NE was 76.6.

116.7 would be second in the league. He's been great at home.
78.4 would be 27th. Between Blake Bortles and Case Keenum. He's been horrible.

FWIW his ratings were 105.7 at home, 86.0 on the road last year. 114.8, 91.0 the year before.

So this is a trend although it's exacerbated this year.

Brady ? 112.6 at home, 111.9 on the road.

Ben's road opponents ?

Bengals, Bills, Colts, Browns, Ravens, Dolphins, Eagles, Redskins.

Why can't the media see this? Why can we and not them. Ooooh Bens playing. Scary. I mean he could go off, but he didn't against KC, hasn't all year on the road so what in gods name will change this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft