PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 28-3 comeback involved no less than 10 "make it or else" plays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work and yes, one great moment after another. I still smile at the thought of so many fans around the country going to bed in the third quarter content that the hated Patriots finally got their due, only to wake up and find out otherwise.

To the list I might add:
11). Won the coin toss. Not as absolute as the first ten "musts" but a biggie. I think the Falcons get at least three if they get the ball first, and then their defense gets a little rest. Luckily, we never had to find out.

Great work and yes, one great moment after another. I still smile at the thought of so many fans around the country going to bed in the third quarter content that the hated Patriots finally got their due, only to wake up and find out otherwise.

To the list I might add:
11). Won the coin toss. Not as absolute as the first ten "musts" but a biggie. I think the Falcons get at least three if they get the ball first, and then their defense gets a little rest. Luckily, we never had to find out.

In THAT moment i was 100% sure we were going to win.

What a WILD WILD NIGHT...

You guys with actual flesh and blood friends must have had a BLAST... My "friends" for this one were in the GDT, talk about your once-and-for-all repudiation of GDT jackwagons... getting to say "fine, you go to bed but the clock doesn't read 0:00 yet..." Then realizing the joke's on you, 0:00 didn't do it for that one. Reminds me of when we all went out to drink and watch the 2000 election returns and vowed not to go home until we had a winner...

For your reading enjoyment. Saints fans were on the rollercoaster like us. :D
***Official Super Bowl 51 NFL Championship Thread!***
I read it all..awesome...

Some posts are simply gold...

20 116 160 162! 170! 195! 240! 244 262!
280 309 334 349 362

After Edelman catch the fire start...
401 411 412 445 450 458 459 470 474 490
492 495 500 (mentioned also Panthers board) 514

After 522 seems to be in New England..

591 epic...:thumbsup: : THANK YOU PATRIOTS

Some other boards to read ? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I read it all..awesome...

Some posts are simply gold...

20 116 160 162! 170! 195! 240! 244 262!
280 309 334 349 362

After Edelman catch the fire start...
401 411 412 445 450 458 459 470 474 490
492 495 500 (mentioned also Panthers board) 514

After 522 seems to be in New England..

591 epic...:thumbsup: : THANK YOU PATRIOTS

Some other boards to read ? :thumbsup:

Ha ha these guys hate Atlanta seaux much!

Good OP. Good memories.

Re-watching it, what really stands out is how slow the comeback was.

They missed an extra point after the first TD late in the 3rd. Then they settle for the field goal at 9:44 in the 4th.

It's 28-12 with only 5:56 left in the 4th when they score the TD + 2PT to make it 28-20.

The game doesn't tie with another TD + 2PT until we're down to 0:57 on the clock.

In real time it was a total acid trip.

It's 28-12 with only 5:56 left in the 4th when they score the TD + 2PT to make it 28-20.
If you didn’t know this game happened, how would you look at a prop bet on a 28-12 lead with 6:00 left in the Super Bowl holding up?

Fifty four minutes played, six minutes remaining, leading by more points than the trailing team has scored in the entire game so far.

On paper that looks like it’s time for the fat lady to exercise her vocal cords...

We'll never see anything like that in a Super Bowl as long as we live, that's for sure

What amazes me is the fact that after all of that, NE STILL managed to cover the spread. There will NEVER be another run like this..it’s impossible. To witness the game executed at the highest level, consistently for 20 years was truly an honor. Learned a ton about the game through this organization alone.

1) Patriots 4th & 3 at NE 46 (6:04 - 3rd) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to D.Amendola pushed ob at ATL 37 for 17 yards (D.Campbell). Failure would have meant turnover on downs, 25 points behind.

I didn't notice this until the last watch of the game, and I must be up to a dozen times, but this was DA's 3rd catch for 28 yards.

If you didn’t know this game happened, how would you look at a prop bet on a 28-12 lead with 6:00 left in the Super Bowl holding up?

Fifty four minutes played, six minutes remaining, leading by more points than the trailing team has scored in the entire game so far.

On paper that looks like it’s time for the fat lady to exercise her vocal cords...

Yeah, if after they go down 28-3 the Pats start scoring quickly on big yardage chunk plays it would have been less shocking than how it actually played out. You can understand coming back by lucking into a few plays that take you all the way down the field in seconds, but they didn't do that.

I mean you can argue that the comeback didn't even start in the 3rd quarter, because they were down 21-3 (18) going into it, and 28-9 (19) coming out of it. They just lost ground more slowly.

If you look at it that way, the entire comeback was really the 19-0 run in the 4th quarter, which still started badly with settling for a field goal on their first scoring drive.

The other night I reflected on the fact that this was actually better than the"signature" blowout I'd once wished the TB era Pats could have gotten. How raw the haters must have felt to see the Evil Ones overcome a late 4-score hole, and the drama makes it forever rewatchable. Yep, I'm more than OK with this "consolation prize".
My wife and kids were at a SB party at the home of friends that day. We live in NYC and I am unfit for human contact with a bunch of Giants and Jets fans during a SB, so I stayed home.

Anyway, my kids were proudly wearing their Brady and Edelman jerseys. Most of the guests were polite, but one couple got increasingly obnoxious as Atlanta ran up the score, taunting my kids (very mature behavior for people in their 40's).

Long story short, one of my sons plays QB for his HS team and knows how to talk trash with the best of them. He got right in their faces, literally, when the Pats tied the game and then was appropriately and loudly obnoxious as they tried meekly to put on their coats and leave after White scored the winning TD, realizing that they had made complete asses of themselves.

For some reason my kid seemed to be standing in their way no matter where they turned and was clearly daring one of them, as adults, to lay a hand on him, a minor, in the presence of witnesses and his lawyer mom, all the while shouting "Patriots!" at the top of his lungs. My god, I've raised great kids!

My wife and kids were at a SB party at the home of friends that day. We live in NYC and I am unfit for human contact with a bunch of Giants and Jets fans during a SB, so I stayed home.

Anyway, my kids were proudly wearing their Brady and Edelman jerseys. Most of the guests were polite, but one couple got increasingly obnoxious as Atlanta ran up the score, taunting my kids (very mature behavior for people in their 40's).

Long story short, one of my sons plays QB for his HS team and knows how to talk trash with the best of them. He got right in their faces, literally, when the Pats tied the game and then was appropriately and loudly obnoxious as they tried meekly to put on their coats and leave after White scored the winning TD, realizing that they had made complete asses of themselves.

For some reason my kid seemed to be standing in their way no matter where they turned and was clearly daring one of them, as adults, to lay a hand on him, a minor, in the presence of witnesses and his lawyer mom, all the while shouting "Patriots!" at the top of his lungs. My god, I've raised great kids!

Got to nosh on a little bit of karmic appetizer, did they? That makes me warm and fuzzy :evil: Send my regards to PFS74Jr.! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down