PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2018 Pass Rush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I’d consider that a data point rather than whether they are having a good or bad camp.

Adam Butler has been pretty much unblockable this camp.

He isn't playing with his regular gusto and has been having lackluster 1 on 1 battles. Basically, he has flashed ability in the past, this camp is unusual for him. Although, he has been moved all over the place and playing on the other side of the line, which may affect his play while he learns the ins and outs....but still, he isn't showing up like he has in the past.
That doesn’t concern me at all.

Adam Butler has been pretty much unblockable this camp.
I think that’s an exaggeration but again this is just a piece of the puzzle. Doing well in drills is not the same as being a good player in the field.

I think one thing that people aren't talking about is that it has been ridiculously hot and humid this summer. The heat can really put a damper on practice.

All eyes will be on Derek Rivers tomorrow night.
It’s funny because a DE who plays 900 snaps a season and gets 10 sacks just more than one every other game and one out of 90 snaps is considered a good pass rusher.
Yet as you correctly state people will watch Rivrs play maybe 20 and if he gets a sack his praises will be sung all week but if he doesn’t there will be gloom and doom posts about him.

Hightower is the best passrusher on the team as well as the best defender( tho Gilmore can stake his claim if he continues his great play from the 2nd half of last season).
So HTs presence alone improves everything. Wise looks poised to be better. Flowers should be at least as good. We didn't have Clayborn last year.
As another poster pointed out,KVNs best passrushing came with HT on the field.
Anything they get from Rivers is gravy.
You'd have to be braindead to not think the passrush will be improved. Not to mention the Run D with HT and Shelton.
The 2 question marks on the D for me are still cb2 and lbs in pass coverage. But D should be improved overall, just don't know how much.

It’s funny because a DE who plays 900 snaps a season and gets 10 sacks just more than one every other game and one out of 90 snaps is considered a good pass rusher.
Yet as you correctly state people will watch Rivrs play maybe 20 and if he gets a sack his praises will be sung all week but if he doesn’t there will be gloom and doom posts about him.
Not if you know what to look for.
How did his jump look? Did he keep his outside shoulder clean? Did he redirect off contact?
Plenty to look at besides the box score etc

Not if you know what to look for.
How did his jump look? Did he keep his outside shoulder clean? Did he redirect off contact?
Plenty to look at besides the box score etc
Yes we all understand how to watch tape.
It still doesn’t tell you how he will play against a major jump in competition level, and how he is impacted by a year off of football.

I’ve long ago stopped trying to figure out the pass rush. While a lot of positions seem pretty obvious to the eye test, former Patriots like Tedy Bruschi have emphasized its a complex system that requires players to sacrifice for the greater good. An example of this is Chandler Jones. Would he have 18 sacks playing in this system? I doubt it.

I do know that last season losing Ninkovich to retirement, Long to greener pastures (you like that!), Rivers and Hightower to injury was clearly not a good sign. Hope this year’s group will be better, but it’s hard to break it down player by player because it seems in general the sum is greater than the parts.

Yes we all understand how to watch tape.
It still doesn’t tell you how he will play against a major jump in competition level, and how he is impacted by a year off of football.
Andy you very clearly were talking about box score scouting, not the level of comp. I pointed out several things someone can look for besides if he had a sack or not.

Again if you know what you're doing it's not that hard.

Andy you very clearly were talking about box score scouting, not the level of comp
No I clearly was not.
Actually the jump in competition was from the other Rivers discussion but I was talking here about how fans react.

I pointed out several things someone can look for besides if he had a sack or not.
And I am saying they won’t. That was literally my point.

Again if you know what you're doing it's not that hard.
We get that you like to feed your ego by acting like you are a scouting genius.
The post was about how fans react and how the general discussion about a player is based upon the wrong things.

No I clearly was not.
Actually the jump in competition was from the other Rivers discussion but I was talking here about how fans react.

And I am saying they won’t. That was literally my point.

We get that you like to feed your ego by acting like you are a scouting genius.
The post was about how fans react and how the general discussion about a player is based upon the wrong things.

C'mon bro, focus.

2 different threads.

All I did was point out there are many things to look for besides box score stuff. That's it.

That's what we're here for.

C'mon bro, focus.

2 different threads.

All I did was point out there are many things to look for besides box score stuff. That's it.

And I was talking about the reaction of fans. That’s it

C'mon bro, focus.

2 different threads.

You feeding your ego again? Come on, man. Coach Andy knows how to scout a player.

I think you are both making valid points: the average fan will make snap judgements based on box score, and those of us who are more obsessive about the game will break down the film. My guess is that you two are just more sensitive because you've clashed recently. I don't think your posts are contradictory.

And! Hey! Football tonight! :cool:

I think you are both making valid points: the average fan will make snap judgements based on box score, and those of us who are more obsessive about the game will break down the film. My guess is that you two are just more sensitive because you've clashed recently. I don't think your posts are contradictory.

And! Hey! Football tonight! :cool:

That'll trigger him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back