PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

This is my first attempt at a mock draft and with me living in the UK I don't find out much about college football so I was just wondering how far off the ball I am? Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

1(HOU)-Jadeveon Clowney
2(STL)-Trade to MIN-Sammy Watkins
3(JAX)-Johnny Manziel
4(CLE)-Teddy Bridgewater
5(OAK)-Mike Evans
6(ATL)-Kahlil Mack
7(TBB)-Eric Ebron
8(MIN)-Trade to STL-Greg Robinson
9(BUF)-Ha Ha Clinton Dix
10(DET)-Justin Gilbert
11(TEN)-Jake Matthews
12(NYG)-Taylor Lewan
13(STL)- Trade to GB-Calvin Pryor
14(CHI)-Aaron Donald
15(PIT)-Darqueze Dennard
16(DAL)- Dee Ford
17(BAL)-Marquise Lee
18(NYJ)-Odell Beckham
19(MIA)-Cyris Koundalindjo
20(ARZ)-Anthony Barr
21(GB)-Trade to STL-Timmy Jernigan
22(PHI)-CJ Mosley
23(KC)-Kelvin Benjamin
24(CIN)-Kyle Fuller
25(SD)-Jason Verrett
26(CLE)-David Yankey
27(NO)-Trade to WSH-Zach Martin
28(CAR)-Brandon Cooks
*29(NE)-Trade to HOU- Blake Bortles*
30(SF)- Kony Ealy
*31(DEN)-Trade to NE-Ryan Shazier*
32(SEA)-Trade to OAK-Zach Mettenberger

As a fellow Brit, let me welcome you to the board.

I think it's a good job.

1. No way Robinson falls to 8. If Clowney wasn't in this draft, Robinson would be the best player in the draft. He might be anyway.

2. I can't see the Vikings trading up for Sammy Watkins like that. It means giving up the capital they'll need to draft A QB which is there biggest need by far.

3. I personally don't think Yankey is a first round player but that's just me.

Apart from those questions, that's a perfectly believable mock. Good job.

Just gonna let my opinion here and say that i am hopeful that the Pats stay the away from Shazier.

DL, OL, TE are more of pressing needs. LB is tied with S for me

Oh...I thought you were a Kiwi or an Australian...no?

No. I like to think of myself as being Manx but my Passport is British. And to confuse things further, was born in Cyprus.

Just gonna let my opinion here and say that i am hopeful that the Pats stay the away from Shazier.

DL, OL, TE are more of pressing needs. LB is tied with S for me

But what if there aren't any OLmen, DLmen or TEs worthy of #29?

That scenario seems a bit unlikely. We have Ford, Nix, Amaro, ASJ, Truitt, Crichton and Hageman. At least one of them should be there that is rated by Belichick as worthy of a first rounder.

No. I like to think of myself as being Manx but my Passport is British. And to confuse things further, was born in Cyprus.

But where were you born? ;)

If I'm not mistaken Britain has atleast one army base on Cyprus. So, army-brat? :)

Then we'd be out of luck.

Well, then i'd rather trade down to the top 5 in the second round. If that's not possible, and only then, i wouldn't be upset with Shazier or Pryor.

However, i find very unlikely that Tuitt, Easly, Nix, Hageman, Ebron, etc etc are all off board in the #29.

Welp, anyway, BB will probably draft a Qb or something unpredictable, so i don't know why spend so much time dreaming/hoping/thinking.

This mock will make you barf. Optimum Scouting. We trade down from 29 to 33. Doesn't specify what we get. A 4th?? Select Nicklas at 33. Ugh. Could have Tuitt, Shazier, Jimmie Ward or a host of wr's. Can't see Shazier lasting until 29. Ok with Bitonio at 62.

2014 NFL Mock Draft: April 9th Update | Optimum Scouting

That scenario seems a bit unlikely. We have Ford, Nix, Amaro, ASJ, Truitt, Crichton and Hageman. At least one of them should be there that is rated by Belichick as worthy of a first rounder.

Personally, of your list I only rate Nix and Hageman as real 1st-round talents, and only Hageman as a match for where I'd like this defense to go. Not surprisingly, he's also the one I feel most certain will be gone by 29.

And as much as the team does have positional needs, I want a genuine 1st-round talent above all.

As much as the team does have positional needs, I want a genuine 1st-round talent above all.

This. Which is one of the reasons why I think a trade up isn't out of the question.

This. Which is one of the reasons why I think a trade up isn't out of the question.

A modest strategic trade up wouldn't surprise me. BB has done it plenty of times in the top 50 picks -- Warren, Jones, Hightower, Jackson, Gronkowski.

But...the alternative is to say that a genuine 1st-round talent will almost surely be available at #29, IF you don't limit yourself to the defensive front 7.

A modest strategic trade up wouldn't surprise me. BB has done it plenty of times in the top 50 picks -- Warren, Jones, Hightower, Jackson, Gronkowski.

But...the alternative is to say that a genuine 1st-round talent will almost surely be available at #29, IF you don't limit yourself to the defensive front 7.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not so sure.

I personally do NOT consider any of the following to be a clear "1st-round talent":

- DE/DT Stephon Tuitt
- DE Kony Ealy
- DE Scott Crichton
- DE/OLB Dee Ford
- OL Xavier Su'a-Filo
- OL David Yankey
- TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
- TE Jace Amaro
- WR Allen Robinson
- WR Kelvin Benjamin

That's just my opinion. Others may consider some of these guys well worth taking at 29. Maybe BB will find someone he values enough to take at 29, whether a defensive front 7 or someone else. Maybe he'll find someone like Jamie Collins last year, who he values enough to take at 29 but who he can get later on. And maybe he finds someone more like Chandler Jones in 2012, who he considers worth trading up for.

Out of that group, I would roll the dice with Hageman.

I personally do NOT consider any of the following to be a clear "1st-round talent":

- DE/DT Stephon Tuitt
- DE Kony Ealy
- DE Scott Crichton
- DE/OLB Dee Ford
- OL Xavier Su'a-Filo
- OL David Yankey
- TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
- TE Jace Amaro
- WR Allen Robinson
- WR Kelvin Benjamin

Honestly, me neither. But I do think players like Shazier, Hageman, Fuller and -- dare I say it -- Marquise Lee probably deserve the label. Just about every mock has somebody of that quality available at the Patriots' pick.

If I'm not mistaken Britain has atleast one army base on Cyprus. So, army-brat? :)

Nearly. An organisation called NAAFI which is similar to the American pX. Shops and services for the military. Good knowledge though.

Honestly, me neither. But I do think players like Shazier, Hageman, Fuller and -- dare I say it -- Marquise Lee probably deserve the label. Just about every mock has somebody of that quality available at the Patriots' pick.

I agree Lee & Fuller are clear first round picks. Hageman is a clear first round talent but I would not at all be surprised if he falls out of that round due to concerns about character/effort.

I wouldn't hate Hageman @29 but he has more question marks than I'd like for someone at that pick.

Hageman is a clear first round talent but I would not at all be surprised if he falls out of that round due to concerns about character/effort. I wouldn't hate Hageman @29 but he has more question marks than I'd like for someone at that pick.

Me too. Which is why I keep coming back to trading up ... :p

Have to say, I'd put almost everyone on that list ahead of Lee personally. The only ones I wouldn't are the two OL, Crichton and maybe Benjamin.

What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Back