PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 Combine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: * The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

I think George Iloka is moving down boards. Looks one of the worst out there.

Hate to say it manxman, your boy Fleming hasn't looked too good in drill so far. Although I don't think these things are his strength, I think he is more of a press man corner.

I've been really impressed with Justin Bethel, he looks smooth.

I think George Iloka is moving down boards. Looks one of the worst out there.

His poor tackling is enough to push me away, hopefully Harrison Smith will be available for us.

Hate to say it manxman, your boy Fleming hasn't looked too good in drill so far. Although I don't think these things are his strength, I think he is more of a press man corner.

He is, and his "style" is the biggest knock on him - it's why he's a 2-3 rather than a lock first rounder. Watch the tape - he's always in the backpocket of the WR.

I don't think we're taking a CB in the top two rounds this year so I'm not too disappointed with him looking ugly if it keeps him available in the third round.

I would love to see Bruce Irvin here as a mlb convert.

LOL WHAT? The biggest knock on Irvin is that isn't on the field for run plays at all and you want to put him in arguably the most important role to stop the run?

I'm not as wedded to Jamell fleming as I am my other binkies, he was always an excellent value pick. Would happily have Brandon Boykin or Jaron Hoseley. In my non-binkie mock I picked Dwight Bentley - he looks money today. Very impressive.

One of my other early picks Stephon Gilmore is justifying his slotting as a first/second rounder too. Would be happy with any of the aforementioned.

I love Trumaine Johnson's ball skills. Disapointed with Janzen Jackson's body language, which isn't really a surprise considering his character issues. The two guys I like the most so far are Justin Bethel and Casey Hayward

I love Trumaine Johnson's ball skills. Disapointed with Janzen Jackson's body language, which isn't really a surprise considering his character issues. The two guys I like the most so far are Justin Bethel and Casey Hayward

If we're looking for a safety conversion project, I've taken Iloka off my board. Trumaine Johnson looks good for that role as does Gilmore.

If we're looking for a safety conversion project, I've taken Iloka off my board. Trumaine Johnson looks good for that role as does Gilmore.

I've never been high on Iloka. What I saw of him in games didn't match the hype he's been getting lately. I think he lacks a little coordination at speed due to his size.

I'm a huge Crick fan i think he is quick off the ball and before he got injured would be a easy 1st rounder. Would like to see Crick with the 31st pick. What i got from watching him he seems so explosive and reads the run nice also has a nonstop motor and if he cant get to the QB he tries to knock the ball down which i think is lacking from the pats the last couple of seasons. Thoughts on Crick please. Thanks

He lacks size for the 3-4. Should be a good 4-3 LDE though.

Apart from maybe Stephen Hill and Stephon Gilmore, i've not seen anyone in the combine who's thrust themselves into first round consideration.

Apart from maybe Stephen Hill and Stephon Gilmore, i've not seen anyone in the combine who's thrust themselves into first round consideration.

Thats because the end of the 1st to the middle (or maybe the entire) 2nd round are very close in terms of talent. I thought Andre Branch helped himself out tremendously. A few people certainly put the nail in the coffin on themselves though.

Josh Robinson (4.31) is another later round CB I like. Coryell Judie, called by Ochmed some time ago) is another - perfect fit scheme wise for the Pats.

I'm not going to be swayed from my liking for Mark Barron, still think he'll be best for the Pats to upgrade the safety position, but Harrison Smith in the second would be a good fall back. timed pretty well and is looking very good in drills so far. Mid second rounder.

I'd say there are only five options to upgrade the position in the draft: Barron, Smith, Dennard, Trumaine Johnson and Gilmore.

Not sure Barron would have been available to us (barring a trade up) before his injury. Now I believe he will absolutely be there and possibly at 48. I'd take Barron with either 27 or 31 and be very happy.

I'm not going to be swayed from my liking for Mark Barron, still think he'll be best for the Pats to upgrade the safety position, but Harrison Smith in the second would be a good fall back. timed pretty well and is looking very good in drills so far. Mid second rounder.

I'd say there are only five options to upgrade the position in the draft: Barron, Smith, Dennard, Trumaine Johnson and Gilmore.
The safety class is very weak this year and Barron is the only 1st round caliber player. I like Smith because he is a smart and durable player and some think he is third round value and others think possibly late 1st. Gilmore has the ability, good athlete and may be available at #63 but is also known for being inconsistent. One key to the selection is Dowling because if he is healthy then the Pats need isn't as bad and Trumaine Johnson or Leonard Johnson could be a real steal in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

Last edited:

The safety class is very weak this year and Barron is the only 1st round caliber player. I like Smith because he is a smart and durable player and some think he is third round value and others think possibly late 1st. Gilmore has the ability and a good athlete but is inconsistent. One key to the selection is Dowling because if he is healthy and he has the ability then the Pats need isn't as bad and Trumaine Johnson could be a real steal in the 3rd round.

Regardless of Dowling's health, you can never have enough good DB's. I see BB drafting one or two more in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe